Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:44:29 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Our brains are prewired to liberal or conservative? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Our brains are prewired to liberal or conservative?  (Read 31321 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 11:43:06 PM »

Communism would probably work if the world were populated with zombies.

It's not?

They're are those 1% er's.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 06:11:52 AM »

I'm an artists...and I am not,nor have I ever been, a member of the Communist party.  TongueOut
 I guess, in some circles,years back,it was considered 'hip' to be a Marxist. The hippies in the 60's used the commune living system,and most were dismal failures,being as it isn't in human nature to share the load...nice in theory...but totally unreal And look at the Manson commune!!! A good example of why communism cannot work.!
  (who want's to live with a bunch of smelly hippies anyway?Yeech!)

The US has lots of problems...underline LOTS a hundred times-but I'll take it over a Tolatarian goverment (the old Communist USSR) any day. I couldn't type this write now if the US was anything like the old USSR-for one-I couldn't afford a computer,and two-it would be read,filtered and come back on me in a bad way.  Buggedout

PS: I don't consider myself either libral or conservative...I don't know what I am.  I just don't trust politics....it's all sales pitch.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:22:34 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 07:18:54 AM »

The biggest problem in modern life is the death of common sense.

I'm like you RC, I have pretty much lost faith in our political system and I was a Republican back when it meant fiscally conservative, but I have been a declared independent for about 15 years.  Politicians care about nothing but getting reelected. I know some start out as idealistic, but the system is corrupt so they must become corrupt to operate within that system.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »

I think that as humans we've got a natural instinct to be part of a group.  That's why you'll see people staunchly defending various politicians on every issue - because the group is doing that.  It's why people are communists when the philosophy would make their lifestyle impossible, because they want to be a member of a group.  It's all fantasy anyway, your one vote out of two hundred million isn't going to make a difference but it's fun to espouse philosophies and be buddy-buddy with others and think that you're involved and making a difference.  That's why a gluttonous pig can endorse communist dogma with no fear of ever being purged or forced into starvation with the rest of the evil bourgeoisie. 

I finally came to the conclusion that politics is just another 1,000 things to be p**sed off about and you can't do anything about it anyway - it just decreases your quality of life.  I stay up-to-date on current events and spend a small amount of time mulling that information over in my head, and I vote for the lesser of two evils in every election, but there are so many non-political issues in a person's life that need attention, and you actually can do something about those, and enjoy a small amount of actual satisfaction at what you're able to accomplish. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:24:47 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 08:45:35 AM »

When I was young and poor I was liberal. I liked the idea of Government services as a safety net there to help if needed. Aside from government cheese and peanut butter I never received any government help. I struggled and did without.

As I got older and did better in life I found government services a burden on my pocket as I went from getting refunds to paying in at the end of the year. I slowly changed to conservative as I saw those that didn't try and make a better life and continued to suckle upon the government tit as nothing more than loafers looking for a ride. And you really don't want me on that soap box.

Then as I saw the conservative party fail to stand for anything and the widening divide within the the government has a whole I became an independent.

The Democratic party in this country sickens me, the things the Pelosi, Clinton, Kennedy and so many others say that the world hears makes my blood boil. Sometimes you need to know when to just shut up and they don't. The Republicans are no better they don't say as much to annoy me but they are not immune to stupidity. My own congressman Mitch McConnell the minority leader need to be sent packing, he's been there to long and has been so busy playing politics that he has forgot who he works for.

It time there is sweeping change in Washington, the next election need to see the ones running gone and new blood in there with this cool new thing called TERM LIMITS. These clowns can not stay in Washington as long as many of them do and not be corrupt, we need to end lobbyist and special interest and make sure our elected representatives actual represent the people that elected them ... crazy concept I know.

trekgeezer

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:31 AM »

The problem with our two party system is that they have everything sewed up.  I really got p**sed when Ralph Nader (someone I would never voter for) was kept off the ballot here because of the inane rules the two parties have set up to keep third parties off the ballot.  As much as I despise Mr. Nader he should be allowed to run.

It's hard to change the system when the foxes are guarding the hen house, which I wonder sometimes isn't the reason the founding fathers gave us the second amendment.

It would take a lot of people to be interested to get anything changed, and I don't believe it will happen until the money and privilege is taken out of politics.  The founders never counted on career politicians, we were supposed to be governed by ordinary people doing public service.

nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »

The problem with our two party system is that they have everything sewed up.  I really got p**sed when Ralph Nader (someone I would never voter for) was kept off the ballot here because of the inane rules the two parties have set up to keep third parties off the ballot.  As much as I despise Mr. Nader he should be allowed to run.

It's hard to change the system when the foxes are guarding the hen house, which I wonder sometimes isn't the reason the founding fathers gave us the second amendment.

It would take a lot of people to be interested to get anything changed, and I don't believe it will happen until the money and privilege is taken out of politics.  The founders never counted on career politicians, we were supposed to be governed by ordinary people doing public service.

I think the best way to break the national two-party hold on the system would be for more states to change their "winner takes all" approach to the electoral college.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »

I think the best way to break the national two-party hold on the system would be for more states to change their "winner takes all" approach to the electoral college.

I fully understand the argument against the electoral college, however with that said you would have an imbalance in the system. states with small population like mine of Kentucky (8 votes) would not get a fair shake against states with huge population like California (55 votes) with many cities larger than KY entire population, and it's not just KY it's many states. And soon you have 1 or 2 states deciding the future and direction of the country which might not set well with the others and you end up back in 1861 ... so while the electoral college isn't the best it's better than the popular vote.

Perhaps we should give the candidates gloves and let them duke it out, last one standing wins ... if that ... my monies on Thompson.

trekgeezer

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

Perhaps we should give the candidates gloves and let them duke it out, last one standing wins ... if that ... my monies on Thompson.

I've always been a proponent of the congressional fist-fight.  It might do a few of them some good to get an old fashioned ass-kicking.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »

ARRRRGHHHHH!!!

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »

I fully understand the argument against the electoral college, however with that said you would have an imbalance in the system. states with small population like mine of Kentucky (8 votes) would not get a fair shake against states with huge population like California (55 votes) with many cities larger than KY entire population, and it's not just KY it's many states.

You misunderstand me. I'm not proposing an abolition of the electoral college, but for more states to award proportionally split votes, rather than giving all X-number of votes to the candidate who might win a marginal plurality.  The manner in which votes are awarded, as I understand it, is a state's prerogative, and there are at least a couple which award the electoral college votes proportionally, instead of as a single discrete chunk.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

And soon you have 1 or 2 states deciding the future and direction of the country which might not set well with the others and you end up back in 1861 ... so while the electoral college isn't the best it's better than the popular vote.

They do now in very subtle ways.  California pretty much decides the 'canon' of school textbooks, with everyone else basically saying "we have to use what they use."  And let's not forget Hollywood via movies and TV demonstratrating "proper" morals and values. Some nut in California decides a bird or rodent should be protected from the 'evil men' and next thing you know, we ALL have to spend 2.5 years on environmental impact studies before ANYTHING can be done.

But, back on point.  I think Maine does it the way Nate suggests, do they not?  Each district sends their own delegate, and I agree, that is a MUCH better system if representation is truly the goal.  But I believe the Democrat party would fight this tooth and nail; for example,the 2000 Presidential election vote-by-district map showed such an overwhelming majority for Bush, and I suspect subsequent elections were similar.  The nation is primarily fairly conservative (ie, just barely right of center), and the large urban centers are the primary pockets of liberalism.

All this reminds me of a political essay I once wrote in which representative government was extended to the extremem of a representative in Congress for EACH person.  Relax, it was satire; I know that's impossible.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »

I think the electorial collage totally perverts and biases the systym. It is only a means for the "powers that be" to get a foot hold and get into office who THEY want...not the people. Who 'they' are...?
  I don't like to sound like some kinda nut job conspiracy theroist...but so much power poker goes on behind closed doors...I have gotten to the point that I believe our present facade of 'democracy' is a joke...pepertrated by the money people...whoever they are...that-I don't know either. It's all smoke and mirrors...the majority not known by us-in the name of money and power. I can't stand any of it.  Politics...as it is-not only in thiscountry-but worldwide-is so f#cked up and self serving it's unreal. You can vote any way you want...but the powers that be  are going to do what they see fit...which has nothing to do with us p**s ants.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:31:14 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »

I think the electorial collage totally perverts and biases the systym. It is only a means for the "powers that be" to get a foot hold and get into office who THEY want...not the people. Who 'they' are...?
  I don't like to sound like some kinda nut job conspiracy theroist...but so much power poker goes on behind closed doors...I have gotten to the point that I believe our present facade of 'democracy' is a joke...pepertrated by the money people...whoever they are...that-I don't know either. It's all smoke and mirrors...the majority not known by us-in the name of money and power. I can't stand any of it.  Politics...as it is-not only in thiscountry-but worldwide-is so f#cked up and self serving it's unreal. You can vote any way you want...but the powers that be  are going to do what they see fit...which has nothing to do with us p**s ants.

Except when they wanted to pass that immigration reform bill and 90% of the people said NO! and many of the politicians actually complained about the people they represent "FORCING" them to vote the way the voters wanted them too.

I was stunned, but not shocked that these asswipes in DC whined OPENLY about having to do what their constituents wants them to do. Can you say aristocracy? I think those in Washington believe they're some kind of royalty.

It times to bring them down to earth.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »

I don't like to sound like some kinda nut job conspiracy theroist...but so much power poker goes on behind closed doors...I have gotten to the point that I believe our present facade of 'democracy' is a joke...pepertrated by the money people...whoever they are...that-I don't know either. It's all smoke and mirrors...the majority not known by us-in the name of money and power. I can't stand any of it.  Politics...as it is-not only in thiscountry-but worldwide-is so f#cked up and self serving it's unreal. You can vote any way you want...but the powers that be  are going to do what they see fit...which has nothing to do with us p**s ants.

Except when they wanted to pass that immigration reform bill and 90% of the people said NO! and many of the politicians actually complained about the people they represent "FORCING" them to vote the way the voters wanted them too.

I was stunned, but not shocked that these asswipes in DC whined OPENLY about having to do what their constituents wants them to do. Can you say aristocracy? I think those in Washington believe they're some kind of royalty.

It times to bring them down to earth.

No argument here! Amen!!!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Our brains are prewired to liberal or conservative? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.