Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:54 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  2010 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010  (Read 8004 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: September 12, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »

I know I'm probably going to draw the Ire of the Kubrick loyalists and sequel haters, but I actually liked this film. Sure, it may not be on the same level as 2001, but they weren't trying to top it in the first place.  If you forget about 2001 and look at this film on its own, it's actually pretty good. 

Yes, the plot does take its time to get going, but once HAL is back online, and Dave starts making his appearances, it draws me right back into it.  On top of that, the payoff at the end is, I think, well worth sitting through this film for. 

At the very least, 2010 can make for a memorable rental, so I say give it a shot if you can find it on the shelf.  It's really one of those decent sequels that never really gets the credit it deserves.   
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »

It's not that bad of a film per se, but it is one of the most pointless and unnecessary sequels in the history of cinema.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

I don't know why but I always come close to buying this film and never do, even though it's cheap.  I've seen bits of it on TV, including the last 15 minutes or so, and it does seem like a very good sci-fi film in its own right.

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 05:55:48 AM »

It's not that bad of a film per se, but it is one of the most pointless and unnecessary sequels in the history of cinema.
Is it also one of the most pointless and unnecessary sequels in literary history?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  I thought the acting was top-notch and the story unfolded at a good pace.  There was some good science in there too, like the aerobraking around Jupiter, something I think was actually used by a recent Mars probe.  Personally, I think it was "necessary" (as necessary as any sequel), because I was left completly confused at the end of 2001.  The explanation of HAL's actions towards the crew were explained masterfully, and the whole thing with Jupiter built from my expectations and was fairly satisfying. 

Loved it  Cheers

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »

Yeah, I was confused at the end of 2001 as well...I guess that makes us both ignorant twits.   TeddyR
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »

Is it also one of the most pointless and unnecessary sequels in literary history?

Yeah, your more all encompassing post is more on the mark.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »

I liked the movie, but probably not enough to buy it. It did encompass some scientific theories of the day. It is badly dated now though, with the whole US vs. USSR conflict so central to the plot.

Peter Hyams is what I consider a very pedestrian director. Technically his movies are well made, but there is something missing from them that would make them great.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

The movie is actually quite faithful to the A.C. Clarke novel.  One of the better book-to-film adaptations.
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22:35 PM »

Peter Hyams is what I consider a very pedestrian director. Technically his movies are well made, but there is something missing from them that would make them great.
Oh, c'mon now, The Relic is a bona fide classic completely deserving of all praise it garners..........................or not.   TeddyR

At least it has an evil  snuffleupagus in it!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  2010 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.