Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:11:43 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  North By Northwest « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North By Northwest  (Read 5048 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: September 13, 2007, 05:20:21 AM »

Even if they've never seen it, chances are, most people can name this film. It's "the one where the airplane chases that guy."

Visited my grandparents recently, and borrowed a couple of movies from them, namely the Arnold Schwarzenneggar/Jim Belushi buddy cop film Red Heat (which I kind of liked) and North By Northwest, a movie I had never seen until now, something I'm sure must shock a lot of people.

My verdict? I loved it. I haven't seen Cary Grant in a lot of stuff, just Arsenic and Old Lace and that's about it, but I really enjoyed him as Roger Thornhill, the epitome of a "boring nobody" who gets mistaken for a secret agent (comparisons to If Looks Could Kill are already forming, and unfavorably so for Looks...), and, of course, James Mason as the bad guy was a hoot.

A lot of "classic" movies I've watched over the years haven't really lived up to their hype for me, but North By Northwest did, and in spades. Ironically, it's only the third Hitchcock film I've seen all the way through, the other two being The Birds and Rear Window, and all three have entertained me immensely. Some of the special effects in the movie were a bit hokey by today's standards (such as the really awful bluescreen effect of one of the goons falling off Mt. Rushmore at the end), but they didn't ruin my enjoyment of the plot at all.

So, does anyone else have any thoughts about Hitchcock's Cary Grant spy thriller with a twist?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:37:11 AM »

You have'nt seen PSYCHO yet? AH!
 If you liked the intrige angle in NORTH by NORTHWEST,you would love both versions of the MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, and TOPAZ...both excellent Hitchcok espionage thrillers!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 05:53:22 AM »

Hoping not to reveal too much, I must say, NBNW's first 3 quarters are excellent! The un-ending suspense kind of does downhill after that. Rest assured, the rest of the film is still plenty pulse-pounding, despite not having all the paranoid skulking around that was present in earlier scenes. Vandamm seems a real cocky a***ole at times, but really the government seemed to be just as bad here.

The Birds is a horror classic with the same chilling level of suspense as North by Northwest, coming from a different, less-powerful-but-just-as-deadly antagonist. Rear Window is one of those that did not live up to it's hype for me. The "voyeur" (which was really kind of ruined by bland camera angles and Jeffries's constant droning narration) and the "suspense" (which was lukewarm at best) was totally mundane from start to finish, with the possible exception of the final "climax" of the bad guy coming unarmed into our quickly-recovering protagonist(who similarly chooses not to properly arm himself)'s room.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:34:49 AM »

My only real problem with the movie is the non-ending. SPOILERS! (although why are we bothering?) I would've liked to have seen Roger exonerated for the Townsend killing, and also to see Vandamm follow the example of his henchmen and take a nosedive off Rushmore. Oh well. Still was a great movie.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »

There is a reason why hitchcock is regarded so highly even today, he was a damn good director and story teller. To be honest thouh I think one of the reasons this film was so good was carey grant's acting. Could you imagine James Stewart in the same role?
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »

I have tried to get into this film a few times and just haven't been able to do it. It seems like I've seen the whole film in parts, but perhaps not. If I ever get to see it from the beginning maybe I'll get to liking it. I'm sure it's a very good film, but I just haven't found the handle on this one.

Here's the trailer tour by Alfred Hitchcock which I did enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=HRfmTpmIUwo

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »

You know, Hitch was a master showman.  You won't find a director in these times who could go in front of the camera to plug his own film.  Not only that but do it with such a dry wit and so tongue-in-cheek.  He was a great Hollywood personality.  It was a crime that the Academy never gave him a more than well deserved Oscar.

If you've never seen a Hitchcock movie, I highly suggest- Psycho, North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo...(honorable mention to Rear Window and The Birds)

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »

Woot!  Week-long Hitchcock-fest on AMC this week!  Good place to see those Hitch classics you may have missed.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »

"Psycho" may be the better film, but I've always enjoyed this one more.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  North By Northwest « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.