Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:17:38 PM
714218 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Destry (1954) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Destry (1954)  (Read 6015 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »

DESTRY (1954) - Good Western starring Audie Murphy in the sequel 15 years after DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939). Murphy plays the son of Destry and does a very good job of playing Jimmy Stewart's character only as the son. Murphy comes into town after a land grabbing saloon owner kills the sheriff and the new sheriff sends for Destry's son to help clean up the riff raff. When he arrives he doesn't wear any guns and is helping a lady with her bird cage. Little by little he shows them just how methodical he is. Western fans should definately check out this film. There is a wild catfight near the beginning of the film.

(8 out of 10 Stars)  Thumbup Thumbup Really enjoyed this film. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:35:09 PM by Scott » Logged

Raffine

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »

Actually, it's a remake of DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, not a sequel.  And James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, et. al. are sorely missed by me. That fight between Dietrich and Una Merkel in the original has to be one of the greatest in screen history!

There was even an earlier version from 1932 starring Tom Mix and Tony the Wonder Horse. In 1959 there was a Broadway musical version starring Andy Griffith as Destry, and in the early 60's there was a Destry tv series starring John Gavin.

We're long overdue for another version of Destry.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »

Audie Murphy was from my home town - we have a huge statue of him.  A decent actor, and the most highly decorated American combat soldier of WWII - 22 decorations for valor!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »

The story is rather similiar with Destry and the dancing girl. Even the bar fight is copies to some degree. Destry is really Jimmy Stewart's best character ever and Audie Murphy did a good job also.

What town are you from IndianaSmith?

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »

I've seen both the version with Jimmy Stewart and Audie Murphy. The Jimmy Stewart one is superior, but this one with Audie Murphy is not bad for a remake.

What I always hated about this remake, was seeing Edgar Buchanan get shot. He always came across, to me, as such a lovable old cuss, that I always hated to see him get shot, either as one of the villains, as in this film, or as one of the good guys, as in "Rawhide."

Please no more remakes, but I did see that a decade after this film was released, "Destry Rides Again," was made into a short lived television series called "Destry" w/ John Gavin as the title character.
Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »

A good Western like this one will always bring BoyScoutKevin out of the woodwork.  Smile

I was surprised I didn't even know about this one till a co-worker let me borrow it recently. The 50's did have some good Westerns. There was a time that I wasn't that fond of the Westerns from the 50's, but I've changed my mind after seeing a number of good ones over the Summer like DESTRY and a bunch of Anthony Mann films.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Destry (1954) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.