COMMANDO (DIRECTOR'S CUT)

<< < (2/2)

The Burgomaster:
Quote from: Torgo on September 24, 2007, 03:23:23 PM

It is not a ripoff IMO.  The visual quality of the old DVD was non-anamorphic, very dark and just plain bad.  This new DVD is anamorphic, the picture quality is brighter, colors pop off the screen and it just plain looks fantastic.  A massive step up from the old DVD. The audio is also much better as well.

I never saw the original DVD release, so I can't comment on the picture & sound quality.  I was referring more to the content of the movie itself.  There isn't anything in the extended scenes that make it better than the theatrical cut.

Quote from: Torgo on September 24, 2007, 03:23:23 PM

The tool shed scene was the only violence that the director had to trim to avoid an R rating and he was given a chance to make a bit of an alternate cut to give fans to watch instead of just the theatrical cut.

Actually, the theatrical cut was rated R.  They had to edit the tool shed scene in order to maintain the R rating.  Today, that slight extra bit of violence would probably get an R rating without any editing.

Torgo:
Quote from: The Burgomaster on September 25, 2007, 09:31:57 AM

Actually, the theatrical cut was rated R.  They had to edit the tool shed scene in order to maintain the R rating.  Today, that slight extra bit of violence would probably get an R rating without any editing.

But it was cut out in 1985 to avoid getting an X rating so the fact that it was reinstated does in fact make it an unrated cut.  As to whether the ratings board would allow that to be in there now uncut, they would've had to re-submit it to the MPAA which can be a bad thing in some cases.

When they did the theatrical re-release for The Wild Bunch about 15 or so years ago, they submitted it for a rating and they actually slapped it with a NC-17 rating when it had been rated R back in the day. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page