Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:01:52 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Should I update/revamp my website? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should I update/revamp my website?  (Read 3860 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 24, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

I don't know, been kicking around the idea of updating/revamping my website (see my signature). 

The thing is, I really don't know if it'd be worth the effort. 

You see, when I do something creative, I like to get at least SOME acknowledgment from SOMEONE, otherwise I start to wonder what the point of it is.  And well, I really don't think my website is really that interesting to people.

I know partly it's because the whole thing is a little esoteric.  I mean, the humor is bent, that's always a strike for some people and it's based around a somewhat obscure idea (dunno who many regular people would even know what a "necromancer" is.)

I guess the second part is more my own fault: the low hits.  I really DON'T know much about how to drum up hits to ones website, other than filling out the meta search thing, and posting about my site in related groups (like here, and other places like alt.horror and various horror/zombie related websites.)  Sites been up about two years and I've yet to receive ONE email about it. 

Granted, I don't have a counter on it, so not sure how people have visited (that's something I should look into I think.)

Anyway, I'm not trying to whine or be all "Woe is me, no one visits my site" I'm just trying to get some feedback as to whether or not anyone thinks it's worth the effort to save, or I should move onto to something else (course, my other ideas are probably just as bizarre as that one...)

Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:13:29 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:22:55 AM »

A fresh face is always good. You need to put meta tags in your <head> so the spiders will list your page. You have none. I'd lose the greeting page and just go straight to the site people don't care for greeting pages, much like lengthy flash intros they're just annoying. Lay out your info to where its easy to find and quick to find. YOu can also join a webring if you want a few more hits some people surf webrings some don't ... not sure if there is a web ring for necromancer, but I'm sure you can find one that fits your site. Just google webrings. I don't use them   myself.

The best advice I can offer is for you to find sites you like, see what you like about them and incorporate those concepts into yours. (without copying) you can be original if it make sense to the average drive by surfer. A professional looks always gets attention and I tend to bypass those amateurish looking pages like you see polluting geocity and the like.

Frankly I think I'd make it look like a serious site that really does that stuff and only slightly hint at it's humor. Lay it out like a real medical site, don't make any claims that's it real let the viewer believe it.  Then maybe a small FAQ at the bottom nav bar and on the faq ask "Is this a joke?" ... "Yes." and leave it at that.

A quick junt around your site and don't take offense you asked ...

I'm not sure what the point of it is. But I didn't have tome to read it all to be fair.
Your links don't jump out and if people don't know it's a link they don't click the link.
Tabled images should be uniform in size various odd size and shaped images just scream "I'm to damn lazy to crop and resize them." i.e. your link page.

Anyway, I'd redo it but that's me.

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 02:03:38 PM »

You see, when I do something creative, I like to get at least SOME acknowledgment from SOMEONE, otherwise I start to wonder what the point of it is.

In that case, FYI, don't use Yahoo for blogging.  They only allow people logged into Yahoo to actually post comments to their blogs, and there's nothing you can do about it.  Kinda sucks.

I know partly it's because the whole thing is a little esoteric.  I mean, the humor is bent, that's always a strike for some people and it's based around a somewhat obscure idea (dunno who many regular would even know what a "necromancer" is.

Anyone that's read fantasy novels, played FRPGs, or dabbled in the esoteric sciences would probably know.  Oh no! I've said too much!   TongueOut

I guess the second part is more my own fault: the low hits.  I really DON'T know much about how to drum up hits to ones website

For starters you could post a link.  I have read this far and still have no idea what you're site is or is about.

For instance if I were to post about Mise-en-Scene Crypt, that's my movie blog BTW which has great- sometimes lengthy- reviews and entertaining rants mixed in with news (when I feel like something warrants posting news about), I'd mention my site by name, IE: Mise-en-Scene Crypt, and be sure to use the oppurtunity to provide an subtle embedded link to it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to whine or be all "Woe is me, no one visits my site" I'm just trying to get some feedback as to whether or not anyone thinks it's worth the effort to save, or I should move onto to something else (course, my other ideas are probably just as bizarre as that one...)

Just curious.

I'm curious too.  I still have NO IDEA what your site is or is about.

You mentioned "necromancers".  Is this site about role-playing games?  Novels?  Is it a general discussion forum like The RPG Funzone?

Just asking.

Don't taze me, Bro!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:06:47 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
BTM

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of it is. But I didn't have tome to read it all to be fair.

Well, not really sure there is a point.  I mean, is there a point to Villian's Supply Depot?  (Course, bad example, that site no longer exist).  It's just a bizarre site that kind of parodies certain subjects.  Maybe the point would be to sell some t-shirts, but not sure I'd ever get THAT popular.

Your links don't jump out and if people don't know it's a link they don't click the link.

Hmm.. guess I could change the colors.. just didn't like the blue/purple standard.

Tabled images should be uniform in size various odd size and shaped images just scream "I'm to damn lazy to crop and resize them." i.e. your link page.

Anyway, I'd redo it but that's me.

Well, thanks!  I'll keep all of what you said in mind.

BTM

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »

Anyone that's read fantasy novels, played FRPGs, or dabbled in the esoteric sciences would probably know.  Oh no! I've said too much!   TongueOut

Hmm.. found my demographic!  :)

I guess the second part is more my own fault: the low hits.  I really DON'T know much about how to drum up hits to ones website

For starters you could post a link.  I have read this far and still have no idea what you're site is or is about.

[/quote]

It's in my sig!  :) 

http://m-allan.home.mchsi.com/wsb/

Basically, the idea is this; What if a Necromancer were alive today and hired someone to write a website advertising his services?  Dr Kaidian is an underground necromancer who sells various things to anyone who can afford them.  He can do organ and limb transplants using magic, raise zombies, resurrect pets you name it.  Thinking of adding a section with various scrolls with spells for sale.

The humor comes from weirdness of the services and various descriptions, and the numbers "footnotes" which casually inform site visitors of the risk such services entail.

At least I think it's humorous...

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:44:46 PM »

It's very dry, straight humor. I like it for playing it very straight.

In reference to the site, since it is a site with a niche purpose and comedic in nature, I do not think you will see a surge in visitors unless it strikes a funny bone somewhere and just takes off.  That is usually a limited run until it reaches saturation, then the traffic will dramatically drop off.

An update (especially regular update schedule) could bring more people by.  I'm not an expert at SEO or anything like that.  The best thing seems to be using accurate meta tags, creating pages that people like, and links coming in.  I know that there are a lot of SEO tutorials online.  A search should turn them up.

One thing I always suggest is an intuitive, easy to find, navigation system for the site.  You do have that, but I think that making the sections clear and having the blurry as the rollover might be better.  That could easily be personal preference.  It's not terribly hard to make them out as it is.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »

It's in my sig!  :) 

http://m-allan.home.mchsi.com/wsb/

Basically, the idea is this; What if a Necromancer were alive today and hired someone to write a website advertising his services?  Dr Kaidian is an underground necromancer who sells various things to anyone who can afford them.  He can do organ and limb transplants using magic, raise zombies, resurrect pets you name it.  Thinking of adding a section with various scrolls with spells for sale.

The humor comes from weirdness of the services and various descriptions, and the numbers "footnotes" which casually inform site visitors of the risk such services entail.

At least I think it's humorous...

That link doesn't really speak to me.  It's just a URL.  But it doesn't have to be just a URL.  See if I were talking about The RPG Funzone I'd work it's full name, with embedded link, into the discussion.  But since I'm not talking about The RPG Funzone there's no need.

TeddyR

Re: Your site.

Hmm.  Not much there.

You need a hook, a gimmick, something that doesn't require a lot of work but which can provide you with mucho content.  Something like. . .

Using quotes from the NECRONOMICON!!!

I'd maybe throw some verses from the Book of the Dead, maybe quote some obscure alchemical tracts, and whatever else caught my fancy into the site as well.  Just for a bit of variety.  ;)

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Should I update/revamp my website? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.