Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:56 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A History of Violence/Eastern Promises « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A History of Violence/Eastern Promises  (Read 7123 times)
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 25, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »

I had high expectations when I went, with another film buff, to see "Eastern Promises" last night. Kronenberg is still a master, the cast was entirely convinvincing, but while the script was solid, it explained a few things too easily and left a few others too open.

I'd love to read some comparrisons of these two.  Thumbup Thumbdown as I'm still not sure how to recommend it.  Question

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

I hated hated hated A History of Violence.
It took all of my willpower to sit through the entire thing.   Thumbdown

It wasn't just the story, it was Cronenberg's direction.

Either you love Cronenberg's work or you hate it.
I'm in the latter group. 

(haven't seen Eastern Promises yet and don't know if I will)
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

It took all of my willpower to sit through the entire thing.   Thumbdown

I'm in the latter group. 

I love Cronenberg.  I can watch Videodrome a million times and come up with a new explanation each time.  However, I was not into A History of Violence at all.  I liked the set up enough but I was the twist coming a mile away and was terrified that I was going to be right about it.  I really wanted it to turn into some kind of mistaken identity movie about the lengths a man will go to protect his family in the face of a total breakdown of reason.  Alas, it turned out there was a comic book as source material.

I just wasn't into it.  Maria Bello was the only thing that kept me going.

I'm pretty stoked to see Eastern Promises, though.  What a cast!

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

I loved A History Of Violence.  The biggest problem that people have with the film is that there is very little question as to whether Tom is actually Joey or not.  The film doesn't try to hide the truth and it puts some people off which is understandable.

I have the graphic novel that inspired the film and it's not nearly as good as the resulting film.  It turns into a standard mafia story by the end of it and isn't as interesting as Cronenberg's film.  I do really really like the last third of the film or so when Tom goes to speak to his estranged brother.  William Hurt does a great job as Ricky and he is just so evil that you can see it almost oozing out of him.  Not only that but Ed Harris did a fantastic job in the flick as well.

I highly recommend going back and rewatching the flick.  It's a slow one but it has a story to tell and doesn't want to rush any of the events.  It's a welcome change from all of the hyper-edited flicks that we see now.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »

I too loved A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.  But, as Ash says, you either dig Cronenberg or you don't, and I generally do.

There's a LOT of subtlety in the movie that I think is lost by being focused on Joey's true history.  Notable in my mind is the conflict within Edie as she finds herself thinking "I'm supposed to be repulsed by this situation" but in fact she is really, really into the 'dark side' of her man.  Cronenberg is a master at pulling these kinds of characterizations out.

I also get that he's not for everybody, and that's cool, too.  I'd like to second Skaboi's recommendation of a repeat viewing - now you know the 'punchline' (who cares --- that's the not point) and can simply enjoy the visual telling of a cool story.

Thumbup Thumbup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:11:49 AM »

I really liked A History of Violence, (could use a little more nudity on the part of Maria Bello though :) )
I'm definitely a Cronenberg fan. One of my favorite movies is Naked Lunch. eXisTenZ was pretty good, Videodrome was awesome (could use a little more nudity on the part of  Deborah Harry though :) ). His movie "Crash" was OK, but I feel "Spider" fell off a bit, but, I've only watched it once.

On a side note, the search for Cronenberg's "Crash" accidentally (no pun intended) to the OTHER movie "crash", the one with Sandra Bullock. GOOD movie, I liked it. And yes, I feel it could use a little nudity on Sandra Bullock's part, , if you didn't already guess that. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pilgermann

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »

I'm indifferent towards A History of Violence.  It had some great moments but overall I felt like it had nothing interesting to say.  And I have to mention the little girl who played the daughter is one of the absolute worst child actors I've ever seen.  It made me angry whenever she was on screen.  Other than that I'd have to say that the climax and ending were quite good.

I really want to see Eastern Promises.  I don't often love Cronenberg movies but I always like seeing them.

Torgo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:02 PM »

I thought that A History of Violence was a fantastic film but I can also see how some people would see it is offputting or whatever as that is pretty indicative of Cronenberg's oeuvre as a whole.  He at times has a highly intellectual and some might say cold directorial style which I actually find fascinating in terms of some of the subjects of his films.  I've always thought that Kubrick and Cronenberg would have gotten along great together if they had been able to become friends.   TeddyR

I haven't seen Easter Promises yet but have heard some good things about it.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:19:09 PM »

It took all of my willpower to sit through the entire thing.   Thumbdown

I'm in the latter group. 

I love Cronenberg.  I can watch Videodrome a million times and come up with a new explanation each time.  However, I was not into A History of Violence at all.  I liked the set up enough but I was the twist coming a mile away and was terrified that I was going to be right about it.  I really wanted it to turn into some kind of mistaken identity movie about the lengths a man will go to protect his family in the face of a total breakdown of reason.  Alas, it turned out there was a comic book as source material.

I just wasn't into it.  Maria Bello was the only thing that kept me going.

I'm pretty stoked to see Eastern Promises, though.  What a cast!

There was a twist in A History of Violence? 

Anyway, I didn't even realize Eastern Promises was a Cronenberg film.  I'm lucky enough to know almost nothing about it, having seen only the TV ads.

I quite liked A History of Violence, as well as most other Cronenberg films I've seen.  I find his treatment of violence pretty interesting in most cases.  It's funny, I can appreciate it both in the way he seems to not intend and the way he intends...  That is, I am entertained by gore and violence in film, but can find myself repulsed by his use of it at the same time. 

I'll be seeing this one tomorrow most likely.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

Alrighty, I guess I'll wait till after you've all seen Eastern Promises, and ask again.   

TeddyR

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Neville

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 05:21:03 AM »

Can't wait to see "Eastern promises". Cronemberg is usually hit or miss for me. Either I love the movie ("Dead ringers", "Existenz") or I can't stand it ("Crash"). "A history of violence" is easily my favourite Cronemberg movie right now, I though it was fantastic, and although I was a bit let down when he decided to solve the "mistery", the final scenes are priceless.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Neville

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »

Already seen it, i recommend it. It's not as brilliant as "A history of violence", but it doesn't share its weaknesses. The acting is top notch and there are a few scenes where you're going to go WTF?

I'm sort of surprised people are still that divided about Cronenberg, he seems to be doing an effort to make his films more accesible.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:24:54 PM »

Well it was entertaining without being really good. Eastern Promises I mean. Viggo gave a brave performance(you'll know what I mean when you see him in the bathhouse.) Watts was ok but nothing special. The guy that played the old russion bastard and the guy that played his drunken son were pretty good. It gets your attention right away. But it just doesn't come together. i think it's the revelation about who Viggo really is. It's too pat an explanation for his behavior later in the movie. The revelation robs Viggo's character of his complexity. If they would have worked that angle out it would have been great. It's still entertaining though, there are a few good violent scenes that slap you in the face and some nasty passionless sex. I'll call it a renter.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »

Well it was entertaining without being really good. Eastern Promises I mean. Viggo gave a brave performance(you'll know what I mean when you see him in the bathhouse.) Watts was ok but nothing special. The guy that played the old russion bastard and the guy that played his drunken son were pretty good. It gets your attention right away. But it just doesn't come together. i think it's the revelation about who Viggo really is. It's too pat an explanation for his behavior later in the movie. The revelation robs Viggo's character of his complexity. If they would have worked that angle out it would have been great. It's still entertaining though, there are a few good violent scenes that slap you in the face and some nasty passionless sex. I'll call it a renter.

Big ditto. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A History of Violence/Eastern Promises « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.