Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:57 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wine « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Wine  (Read 14705 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »

Susan, I'm with you, I don't like over-busy wines (that are "oaky" or "smokey" or "leather" and usually expensive) but I do like what I call "drinkin' wine."  Actually, the "two-buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw, mentioned by ED) makes very cheap but drinkable Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon... I generally drink red and don't like much white, particularly Chardonnay. 

I would recommend French wines like GEORGE DUBOEUF Merlot, and LOUIS JADOT Beaujolais Village (a little pricier, but once you've had, you'll be wondering why you haven't had it before...)  I also like some Chilean wine like GATO NEGRO.   Around Thanksgiving, the Beaujolais Noveau comes out, it's fruity like you mention, very light and drinkable, and great for holiday parties (I usually buy at least a case of the GEORGE DUBOEUF noveau -- most spirit shops will give a 10% discount on any wine if you buy by the case.)
You mention Pinot, which I assume you mean Pinot Noir (red) as opposed to Pinot Grigio which is the most drinkable of the white grapes for me.  I like the CAVIT Pinot Noir (Italian I think) and their Pinot Grigio (if you want white) is the best in its range...

Of the labels I mention, most of their varieties are very good and none are too expensive. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:20:23 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »

Your all not going to believe me, but I have never drank wine, coffee, eggnog, alcohol, never smoked cigerettes, never smoked cigars, have never done any drugs, and never cheated on my wife who I've been married to for 20 years next week. Not sure how it turned out that way, but I know that I'm happy with it. It doesn't mean that I'm perfect. It just means I've never done those things. For some the intake of some of these things is just part of their family background and in that case it is just normal for many. Some may have been influenced by a crowd that was involved with those things.

If this is in my favor in any way I must then give credit to God.  Smile

It's a bit odd, but it's the facts. In fact I have never met another human/person who has also never done these things.

I know. I know. Your image of me has completely changed now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:41:18 PM by Scott » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 09:04:25 PM »

Your all not going to believe me, but I have never drank wine, coffee, eggnog, alcohol, never smoked cigerettes, never smoked cigars, have never done any drugs, and never cheated on my wife who I've been married to for 20 years next week. Not sure how it turned out that way, but I know that I'm happy with it. It doesn't mean that I'm perfect. It just means I've never done those things. For some the intake of some of these things is just part of their family background and in that case it is just normal for many. Some may have been influenced by a crowd that was involved with those things.

It's a bit odd, but it's the facts. In fact I have never met another human/person who has also never done these things.

Your not Bill Gates....your Budda!!!!  Buggedout 
 ...and Budda owns a copy of the BRAINIAC!?!?!  Question

My whole perception of the Universe and Beyond is now totally shot to pieces!!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 11:24:58 PM »

We're blessed with having some very nice wines in our area.  I'm not a huge wine buff, but Australia does have quite a few nice wines, quite often with fun names like "Mad Fish" or "Cockfighter's Ghost" etc. 

Or you could go the 'bag of goon' way and get a five liter box of wine.  That's pure class in a box  TeddyR but it sure makes a party!

Um...

Yeah...

I'm fairly sure I've contributed nothing here...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 05:52:53 AM »

We're blessed with having some very nice wines in our area.  I'm not a huge wine buff, but Australia does have quite a few nice wines, quite often with fun names like "Mad Fish" or "Cockfighter's Ghost" etc. 

Or you could go the 'bag of goon' way and get a five liter box of wine.  That's pure class in a box  TeddyR but it sure makes a party!

Um...

Yeah...

I'm fairly sure I've contributed nothing here...

I wouldn't say that! I love the oodball wine names...not too stuffy,as to put off the delicate palatte of the Gutter Bum true wine con-a-sewer!
 There were a couple of fine wines here I drank back in the 80's...with such names as Jokers Wild-($1.19 a 5th !), and Cannon 21-"Have your own 21 gun salute!" was printed on the label! also affordably priced at a dollar and change!
    And both went well with fish sticks or Banquet Frozen Salisbury Steaks !  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 07:21:36 AM »

The last time I drank wine was in 2001 when I brought a bottle of red wine back from Australia with me.
Wine doesn't affect me at all.
I can down an entire bottle and barely get even a small buzz.
And I'm not really big on the taste.

Speaking of wines, I was at the grocery store last night and saw this brand out of the corner of my eye.  My first thought was WTF!?

http://www.rainierwine.com/

What made it even more strange was that it was over by the butcher's section.
I suppose people like to have wine with a good steak so that's why they put it there.

Scott

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »

Your not Bill Gates....your Budda!!!!  Buggedout 
 ...and Budda owns a copy of the BRAINIAC!?!?!  Question

My whole perception of the Universe and Beyond is now totally shot to pieces!!!!!

BounceGiggle

Well.................the part about owning a copy of BRAINIAC is true.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »

Scott, you're not alone. I have tasted wine and beer (as in a couple of drops made it into my mouth), but alcohol has such a strong smell to me that I can't get it close enough to my face to drink it. I've been told by friends with drinking problems that I am extremely lucky. I'll take their word for it. I've tasted coffee, but I don't like it and so have never drunk more than a taste. Smoking? Nope. Drugs? Nope. Cheating? Extra nope. I've only been married 7 years, but I've never been tempted to cheat and don't see myself ever being tempted (it doesn't seem to be in my nature). My consumption vices consist mainly of addictions to Dr Pepper and bacon. Like you, I am more than willing to give credit to God for keeping me away from these things.

And now, apologies to all for jacking the thread. Continue your discussion...  TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Scott

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 12:24:49 AM »

Not many around like you Derf. Thanks for posting. I was reading back at what I said and hoped it didn't come off as conceited or boasting in some way. Just wanted to share some info about myself. The degree of separation from God isn't an issue. To be away or distracted for any amount of time in the slightest is to error regardless of what one is doing that would cause us to divide our attention from God's presence. May God have mercy and reveal the Holy Spirit that can dwell within each of us.

We now resume the initial post about wine.

Jesus made wine and the church drinks wine in remembrance of Him.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 07:55:38 AM »

After rereading my post, I may owe the other posters an apology, or at least a clarification. I don't drink because I don't like it. I don't think it is morally wrong (except when it begins to take over a person's life, which isn't the case with the topic of this thread). No (legal) food or beverage consumption in moderation should even be considered in the realms of morality.

Back in the 80s, a local family won a bit of money on a radio contest. They were spending it freely on things they'd never been able to afford, including some (in their mindset) expensive wine. Looking over the selection, they saw one of the varieties that came in a wooden box. The husband said something like, [hick accent] "Look here, Mabel, this wine comes with a jewelry box." [/hick accent]

Again, apologies for seemingly killing this thread.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »

Not much of a wine drinker myself, but the wife enjoys it (gives me wicked heartburn), and I have found that the Canadian wines from the Niagra region are pretty damn good. Also they are cheap! Unfortunately I don't know how available thay are in the states...

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »

I use to not be much of a wine drinker, but after a bit of a scare with the old ticker I started drinking red wine which has something I can't remember in it that helps your blood and breaks down the plaque in your blood. Pretty much a blood lubricant without thinning it. I must say even though I don't care for red wine much I can tell a difference.

But Kudos to those that have never taken up a vice ... I have plenty of them for those without.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 09:14:39 AM »

I use to not be much of a wine drinker, but after a bit of a scare with the old ticker I started drinking red wine which has something I can't remember in it that helps your blood and breaks down the plaque in your blood. Pretty much a blood lubricant without thinning it.

That would be Resveratrol.

(at first I just glanced at that word and thought it was pronounced Reserve-a-trol, but then I noticed it's Res-Ver-a-trol)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:35:17 AM by Ash » Logged
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »

After rereading my post, I may owe the other posters an apology, or at least a clarification. I don't drink because I don't like it.

Nothing at all wrong with personal choice. I decided that it didn't fit the lifestyle I wanted.  Plus for me it was always a social thing, we never had alcohol in the house. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »

As I stated previously, I don't care much for wine.  I figured I'd follow up with the thread now that we have people saying that they don't like to drink.  I greatly appreciate that.  I have a good friend who isn't religious, cusses like a sailor but has never smoked, drank and never touched a drug in his life.  I very much respect that.

I don't drink often myself.  I've found that it takes a large quantity of wine/beer to get a "buzz".  Recently my wife dragged me to a local bar/club that our friends frequent and I downed 17 Miller Lites in the time I was there.  It didn't have very much of an effect on me.  I'm assuming that my weight and height have a great deal to do with it.  I'm thinking that if I were to lose weight (which I need to do) that I would be a cheap drunk.  I don't mind the taste of beer and after working outside, especially during the summer, can find it quite refreshing.  I just find it to be a waste of money since it takes so much.

Liquor on the other hand is a different story.  I stay away from it in general after a serious bout of alcohol poisoning.  I learned my lesson that night.....

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wine « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.