Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:55 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death Proof « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Death Proof  (Read 15574 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:46 AM »

Loved the film, what Skaboi said pretty much sums everything I think of the film. To be honest, I was a bit let down when the second group of girls is introduced, but the film quickly regains its feet, so no real problem with that. Same goes with the dialogue, sure it is far worse than in earlier Tarantino films, but I think at least part of it is deliberate, B-movies often have empty chatter. And it gets the job done too, you get to know every girl quite well.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Torgo

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »

I thought that the extended version of Death Proof worked even better than the theatrical cut that was paired with Planet Terror in Grindhouse.

I would give Death Proof ***1/2 out of ****.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 12:07:22 PM »

I guess I liked this movie's style over its substance - I did like the grainy 70s
style, even if it took place in modern day, but save for the last 20 minutes, I didn't really care for this one.  I don't know -there's just something that annoys me about main characters who are b!tchy, jerks, smarta$$es or just plain annoying throughout the film.  I guess that's why I feel gratified when they die...which isn't really healthy now that I think about it.  Seems like a lot of movies today seem to act like we the audience are supposed to think b!tchy smarta$$es are uber cool, but I don't care for these types of characters.

Anyway, I loved the last few minutes the best but was amused with the actual car crashes and car chases.  Stuntman was portrayed well, even if he was a rather unsavory character.  I love his beatings at the end lol.  Still, I'm kinda miffed that Rose's character died so early on but oh well.   
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »

I think it could haven been much better, we only see tarantino real's work in two scenes (yes, the cars...) what happened with the dialogues??? italian edition of vogue, my boyfriend, bla bla bla... Iput the first car crash scene in my blog, here is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYHkkCwCYM

the guyver
Dedicated Viewer

RAT! RAT! RAT! RAT!

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »

I think it could haven been much better, we only see tarantino real's work in two scenes (yes, the cars...) what happened with the dialogues??? italian edition of vogue, my boyfriend, bla bla bla... Iput the first car crash scene in my blog, here is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYHkkCwCYM

I personally thought this was quite the quotable movie! I loved the fact that it was filled with the cheesey one liners!  Thumbup Thumbup
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »

I just watched this, I really liked it, but spent the first 95% of the movie wondering where it was going. No real POINT to the movie, but, I'm a firm believer in that you don't need a point if you have a likable idea. The characters kinda grew on my, I didn't care for the two stuntwomen in the second half until they got p**sed off, , then it was like LOOK OUT!

Btw, I think Quentin Tarantino has very soundly made the point that he's really into feet. Vanessa Ferlito Is damn hot.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »

Why did Tarentino put so much time into the first group of giRls when all of them end up dying?

Quentin has said that Death Proof really at heart is a slasher movie and he thought it would be novel to kill the 1st group of girls off in one fell swoop instead of one by one.  I thought that it worked in that regard.

Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »

Spoilers

That clip is brutal. Seeing body limbs thrown about like that reminds me of the recent movie adaptation of Vice City where a 50 caliber machine gun rips up a pair of guys in a car. Arm... leg... It's that last death with the wheel in the face that is most brutal. When I saw it in theatres, that shot in particular made me twist in my seat. I loved this movie. I thought it was among Tarantino's very best work. Completely in line with the intended genre and even innovative to the genre. Those long overhead shots of the girl on the hood of the car, dangling by leather straps are amazing examples of stunt work. And the special effects and makeup were perfect. This is one of those movie I wish was playing in theatres all the time.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

Count me as one who's shocked by the positive response here on badmovies.org to Death Proof.  Most everyone I talk to about the film panned it.

As far as my comments, I'd like to state up front that Kurt Russell's my favorite actor (largely due to his teaming with JC in The Thing and EFNY), and I thought he was very good as Stuntman Mike.  I'm in the camp that simply can't give Tarantino kudos for the excess heavy dialogue.  To me, a movie with a lot of lip-flappin' = a soap opera.  If I want to see one talking head communicate with another, I'll watch 'one tree hill'.

Sure, the stunts were great and the kills memorable, but was it really necessary to endure countless minutes of chit-chat to get there?

Unexpectedly, I found myself thinking more about Death Proof than Planet Terror after viewing Grindhouse in the theaters (probably 'cos I was attempting to figure out Tarantino's creative angle with the loquacious characters), and ultimately I appreciate both Tarantino and Rodriguez attempting to revive grindhouse cinema in this very lame day and age (I still say the phony trailers were the best thing about the film).  Too bad not enough people got with the program.

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
TexasCharlie
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »

I saw this one (as part of grindhouse) at the sleazeball theater in the mall.  A sewer line further down the mall had burst.  I must say, the hint of sh*t and p*ss really added to the overall grind house experience.
Torgo

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »

Unexpectedly, I found myself thinking more about Death Proof than Planet Terror after viewing Grindhouse in the theaters

Same here.

Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:18:40 AM »

I'd also like to state that there's a real sense of "wasted premise" in the film. 

You have Kurt Russell.
You have a very cool stunt car. 
He's a madman who wants to kill. 
His weapon is his impenetrable car. 

Man, you can do a lot with that.  Instead, we get a movie that's vastly dialogue-driven.  I mean, sit back and think of what it could have been, given the idea that it's a slasher film - with a '70s attitude - featuring a car instead of a bloody axe.

I think we need a sequel.  Or a remake, only in this case (with Kurt Russell).

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »

you know, there actually is a six-disc grindhouse boxed set available in japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B0011DTTC0/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

it containst both planet terror and death proof seperately, and also includes a combined grindhouse presentation, which presumably includes the fake trailers. just guessing, but that would seem to make sense...

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »

you know, there actually is a six-disc grindhouse boxed set available in japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B0011DTTC0/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

it containst both planet terror and death proof seperately, and also includes a combined grindhouse presentation, which presumably includes the fake trailers. just guessing, but that would seem to make sense...

Yea, but it aint cheap!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »

true. if you wanted, you could just download the fake trailers from somewhere, burn them to a cd as a vcd, and keep it between planet terror and death proof in your collection.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death Proof « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.