Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:34 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fando Y Lis (1968) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fando Y Lis (1968)  (Read 6960 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: September 30, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

FANDO Y LIS (1968) - Wow, this one is even more bizarre than THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973). This b/w film directed by Jodorowsky is possible his best and may have influence ERASERHEAD (1977) directly. The film is surreal, intelligent, and really gets into the human psyche even more than his later films. Some of it is very disturbing and caused a riot when shown at the Alcapulco Film Festival. It's the story of Fando and his girfriend Lis who is paralysed from the hips down and he starts taking her to the mystical city of Tar so she can be healed. Well a lot of things happen along the way that bring out both of their psychological make-ups. Very strange film. All his films must be seen. Believe it or not, but I think EL TOPO (1970) is the least of Jodorowsky's films.

Even though THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973) has more of a budget and in color FANDO Y LIS (1968) is his best work. 

Thumbup Thumbup (9 out of 10 Stars) You will never see another film like it.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:34:51 PM by Scott » Logged

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »

interesting, never heard of this guy (n00b LOLz) but I like weird/macabre films, especially 60s/70's. I'm guessing this is a foreign film with subtitles ,right?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:50:50 AM by depressed crack addict » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:49:38 AM »

interesting, never heard of this guy (n00b LOLz) but I like weird/macabre films, especially 60s/70's. I'm guessing this is a foreign film with subtitles ,right?

That's actually an interesting question. You won't even realise your watching a subtitled film because of it's psychological/surreal quality. I dare to declare that Jodorowsky's films are mandatory viewing for visitors of this forum.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 02:51:01 PM by Scott » Logged

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »

I don't want to derail the thread, but my favorite Jodorowsky movie is actually Santa Sangre.  It's probably the least metaphorical of all of his movies but is the most colorful and puts a real spin on the Psycho formula.

This and The Rainbow Thief are the only two of his that I haven't seen.  I've always wondered what, specifically, about it set off a riot at the film fest.  I've seen that used in the marketing more than anything else.  Like the other movies from this period in his career, I can only assume that it's another story outlined by the major arcana of the tarot.  I did some reading about him a while back and he seems to center a lot of his script-writing and comics based on that.

Speaking of which, anyone ever read the Metabarons comics?

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »

I also liked SANTA SANGRE. If I watched SANTA SANGRE again today I wonder how I would rate it with his other films, but I'm pretty sure that FANDO Y LIS is the most disturbing.

FANDO seems to have some kind of mother complex and even the girlfriend LIS has her childhood problems.

dinosaur_jr.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »

Based on a play by Fernando Arrabal...and you can find a boxset of his movies, includes 3 movies that you will enjoy if you like Jodorowski. Viva la Muerte have some things like from Fando y lis..like the use of scenes with eggs breakin... the kid name is also Fando,and he also says That he will use her motherīs tripe? to make a drum if she dies.

I like Fando and Lis a lot,because is kind of symbolic to me,instead of just surrealism. Like childhood rape,the abusive partner and the vicious circle of violence and then saying iīm sorry,it will not happen again Lookingup  .I guess that thereīs a little criticism about rich people when they are like used for entertainment. i donīt know,maybe iīm all wrong but is the kind of movie that you can think about the scenes,and get out something...instead of just great and weird nonsense imagery(that i also like hehe).
Great movie. Jodorowski is great.

š  iīm new...and my english isnīt that great..hope not to be annoying with my writing.
Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »

Thanks for responding Dinosaur_Jr. Now that FANDO Y LIS is on DVD maybe we'll here more responces to this interesting film.

Welcome to the forum Dinosaur_Jr.

What country are you from and what are your favorite films from that country?

dean

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 03:32:10 AM »

They just released a Jodorowsky box set here which I know includes Holy Mountain.  I must have a look at it and see what else it comes with.  I've really wanted to see his films, but just haven't had access/the motivation...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dinosaur_jr.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »

Hi Scott..I am from Puerto Rico.and sadly there are not a lot of movies that i can recommend and also they are not available..since most movies are made for TV with a low budget.
 But right now...theres a GREAT film.. called Maldeamores (lovesickness),..starring Pedro Guzman as the only recognizable actor,and produced by Benicio del Toro..the movie is doing good in Festivals. Itīs a comedy and i was surprised,i enjoyed it a lot.

Also in the theater right now...theres a Brazil-PR production,called Meteoro..wich looks interesting,Thereīs  El Cantante about a famous salsa singer(havenīt see it ),and there are a few..that are ok movies...like El Cimarron,Ruido(Noise,Dominican-PR production),Cayo,Angel(dir. by Jacobo Morales) but iīll recommend Maldeamores.

About the Jodorowski boxset--the anchor bay includes HolyMountain,El Topo,Fando y Lis,La Cravate(his first silent short film..that was lost for a while) and 2 soundtracks from El Topo and Holy Mountain. Thereīs a Jodorowski interview and in which Fernando Arrabal also appear...they talk about the Panic Movement and they show some scenes.Very interesting.

Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »

They always had great Pro Wrestling in Puerto Rico. Carlos Colon and all the greats of the wrestling world went there at some point in the 80's.

dinosaur_jr.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Yes, Carlos Colon have one of the nastiest foreheads haha (because of all the forks,sticks,barb wire?,fire etc. he was always bleeding) ,and in here is like this local traditional wrestling association...but they have a great connection with international wrestling councils or whatever..and in the USA also i guess..because he was once invited to a WWF Royal Rumble?(Never watch it  Bluesad ,hope to..some day) and also his son made it to the WWE (Carlitos Caribbean Cool)..so itīs alright.

About Maldeamores,i gave you the wrong name,Itīs Luis Guzman, instead of Pedro Guzman (thatīs a local ĻcuatroĻ player,Like a folckoric kind of guitar)  TeddyR

Any recommendations about movies,in the line of Jodorowski?
Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:43:14 PM »

Carlos Colon versus Abdullah The Butcher.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=G5M98xS8U5U

Did you see how Ric Flair took young Carlito under his wing. That's the respect they have for Carlos Colon.

dinosaur_jr.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 09:34:52 PM »

nice haha,the reaction of the referee when abdullah scratched Carlos with the fork  BounceGiggle
Abdullah came to PR a few months ago,read in the newspaper that his voice wasnīt that scary,as told by the reporter...maybe thatīs the reason he never spoke on tv,also to be more mysterious. If i remember...he opened some restaurants.hope they clean the forks very well   TongueOut

They both can appear in a Jodorowski movie  , to follow the thread Wink  TeddyR
Scott

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »

Yep, an Abdullah The Butcher match is always brutally surreal.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fando Y Lis (1968) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is Đ 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.