Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:24 PM
713381 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Garfield « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Garfield  (Read 10867 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »

Recently, I dug out a few of my old Garfield books which I had stored away in a box in my parents' basement for years.
I'd forgotten how hilarious the Garfield comic strip was!   TeddyR

The adventures and musings of Garfield, John, Odie, Nermal and the other assorted characters are pure comedy genius.
Jim Davis deserves an award for his awesome work.

I remember reading these books as far back as the 6th grade and laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.
It's one of the few comic strips that can actually make me laugh out loud.
Yahoo! updates the Garfield comic strip daily.
Check it out here

Surprisingly, after all these years, he still makes me bust a gut!   Smile
Here's an example of a recent strip from a few weeks ago that I just had to share with all of you.

Garfield and Bad Movies

Priceless!   BounceGiggle

Man, flipping through these old Garfield books sure brings back some good memories.
Here's one of my favorites.  This one stands out for me.

It's gonna take me awhile to go through all of them but it'll be worth it.
It's been so long since I've read them, they'll be like new to me.

Here's another recent strip:

Hilarious!

How about you?
Do you like Garfield?
Got any funny Garfield strips you want to share?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:30:13 AM by Ash » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:32:24 AM »

I love Garfield.  I read the strip daily in the paper.  Even pull out some of my Garfield books now and then.  It's been around a long time too.

Even used to watch the cartoon back in the late '80s/early '90s.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »

The strip you posted was pretty funny, but I think Garfield has gone downhill in the past few years and is rarely amusing.  I have a couple of compilation books and they're quite good.

Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

Garfield was great! I moved recently and while unpacking I came across my old garfield books. I have about 12 of the normal ones, plus one large one. I spent about 3 hrs laughing my ass off sitting on a crate in the basement instead of unpacking. In the big book there are some quasi serious comic series that are non-garfield that I had never read. Does anyone else remember those? The one was about an alternate dimention kitty that looked like a cat shaped chunk of deep space..

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »

I loved Garfield back at the beginning. As a kid, my older brother got into the books. I was a fan when none of the other kids my age even heard of Garfield. When the character became better known, I would have to debate with classmates who insisted Heathcliff was better.

I liked Garfield back when he was a little more edgy, the jokes were fresh and the style was less refined. Garfield was more of a big, grouchy lump, and not at all cute. The first two books are still the best.

It's been years since I've even looked at a Garfield strip. It just got too...popular. Garfield got cuter, less of a grouch, less violent. He got more anthropomorphic, acting and thinking more like a person than a cat, and even walking upright. A lot of the best supporting characters seemed to fade away. The strip became more polished to look at while the jokes became less sophisticated. It also started to become rife with running jokes that weren't particularly funny but oh so Garfield.

Animation was not kind to the cat either.

But thinking back, I do have fond memories of those early Garfield strips. I might still have the first three or four books sitting in a box somewhere, assuming they didn't go to a rummage sale or something. I'd like to have another look at Garfield At Large.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »

The strip you posted was pretty funny, but I think Garfield has gone downhill in the past few years and is rarely amusing.  I have a couple of compilation books and they're quite good.
I'll agree they are going downhill. But Davis hasn't lost his touch yet. One the problems with the strip is there are not many characters. One of the reasons peanuts lasted 50 years was all of the characters Charles Shultz had.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »

I'll agree they are going downhill. But Davis hasn't lost his touch yet. One the problems with the strip is there are not many characters. One of the reasons peanuts lasted 50 years was all of the characters Charles Shultz had.

If you check out Garfield in Wikipedia, you can see how many characters there have been - quite a lot in the early years especially. It kind of got whittled down to Garfield, Jon and Odie mostly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:19:38 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »

I often say if I were a cartoon character it would be Garfield.  Lazy, dry sense of humor, etc.  I have a few  Garfield books myself and read them here and there. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »

If you check out Garfield in Wikipedia, you can see how many characters there have been - quite a lot in the early years especially. It kind of got whittled down to Garfield, Jon and Odie mostly.
That's true.  I read it alot, and lately it's been those three.  There's not much mention of Nermal, Arlene, Mrs. Feeny, etc.  Once in a while, they'll mention Mrs. Feeny or Nermal, but it's rare they make an appearance.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »

Evver since the sad departure of Calvin and Hobbes in 1996, the comics page has been bleak for me . . . I  like Dilbert, but it's not as knee-slapping funny as Calvin was at his best.  However, my comics life has looked up since the advent of GET FUZZY.  This is a hilarious strip, and Bucky Katt is like Garfield on steroids . . . . he is mean, narrow-minded, prejudiced, and incredibly selfish . . . more like a real cat than Garfield.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:50 AM »

Evver since the sad departure of Calvin and Hobbes in 1996, the comics page has been bleak for me . . . I  like Dilbert, but it's not as knee-slapping funny as Calvin was at his best.  However, my comics life has looked up since the advent of GET FUZZY.  This is a hilarious strip, and Bucky Katt is like Garfield on steroids . . . . he is mean, narrow-minded, prejudiced, and incredibly selfish . . . more like a real cat than Garfield.
Get Fuzzy rocks.  I bought one of those calendars they have, where each day was a new comic strip, as well as one of their collected books.  Good stuff.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »

Garfield was funny indeed ... but I was more of a Bloom County kinda guy.

We now return you regular thread ...

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 11:40:28 AM »

That's true.  I read it alot, and lately it's been those three.  There's not much mention of Nermal, Arlene, Mrs. Feeny, etc.  Once in a while, they'll mention Mrs. Feeny or Nermal, but it's rare they make an appearance.

And whatever happened to Lyman?

---------------------
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:51:44 PM »

And whatever happened to Lyman?

Well, as shown in this (which was only published in Antartica), it turns out he never left!

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »

Garfield was funny indeed ... but I was more of a Bloom County kinda guy.

We now return you regular thread ...

Oh, Bloom County was IT for me in the 80's - I loved the fact that he relentlessly barbecued all sides in the political debate, unlike the tiringly partisan Doonesbury.  I've tried to keep up with OPUS, but it doesn't run in my local paper.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Garfield « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.