Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:42:02 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth (2006)  (Read 10261 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: October 02, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »

PAN'S LABYRINTH (2006) - This Spanish film with subtitles has really good production values for a foriegn film. The story is also very good and takes place in 1944 Spain during the war which involves the resistance. All this is the backdrop to a young girls fairytales and an encounter with fairy mythical type creatures. The Spanish Army Captain is especially cruel and you can feel how the young girl may have escaped into her fairytales to the point of experiencing them and true to life when it comes to the other worldly things those in the real world most notably those viewing the film don't know if she was fantasizing or what?

Thumbup Thumbup (8 out of 10 Stars) I'm starting a new post here as Andrew's older post promted me to start a new one since it was over 90 days ago.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »

A beautiful and heart-breaking film.  Guillermo del Toro is a great film maker.  I liked the fact that you couldn't buy a dubbed version of the film, dubbing can be very distracting.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

This movie sits on the top of my good movie list. The story was excellent and just disturbing enough without going overboard. Same goes with the effects (the scene with the razor at the corner of the mouth still gives me the willies) All in all, this one is a must own.

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »

This was indeed an EXCELLENT film.  My wife even liked it, and she is NOT much of a horror fan . .  it was on that fine line between horror and fantasy.  The evil beast that nearly caught the little girl . . . the one with the eyes in its palms . . . was one of the creepiest creatures in the history of cinema!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »

I must have watched this one a dozen times in the past few months and I find something new about it every time.  But as much as I love this one, I do think I prefer an earlier film del Toro did, The Devil's Backbone.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:26 AM »

Great movie. I like the combination of grim "real" scenes with the fantastic perils of the little girl. The acting is great too, Ivana Baquero, the girl, is awesome, and Sergi López does one of his best work ever as the Captain.

It always strucks me how Del Toro manages to put all the pieces together. He's one of those directors who likes to handle lots of genres and influences at the same time, but he always manages to fall on his feet. I'd swear some moments in this movie (Vidal's men on horseback, the maquis' attack to the train) have some Spaghetti Western flavour.

And no, I'm not alucinating, it's been months since I saw my last SW.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »

It still disgusts me that so many people who fancy themselves film buffs refuse to teach themselves to read subtitles. If you're one of those people, this movie will show you what you're missing, if not, then you should have seen this one by now, really.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Neville

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:08:21 PM »

So true, there's a whole world out there, and you can't expect distributors to pay a dubbing for a movie they consider minor. Not to mention it often ruins the acting.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:46:19 PM »

It still disgusts me that so many people who fancy themselves film buffs refuse to teach themselves to read subtitles. If you're one of those people, this movie will show you what you're missing, if not, then you should have seen this one by now, really.

Karma for you.....dubbing ruins films, and a film like this one HAS to be heard in the original to appreciate the acting.  I hate dubbed movies.     Hatred

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

On the other hand and a lighter note (and to bump a movie that didn't get nearly enough attention) there is some good dubbing in Anime (10-5%) that helps give characters more distinct voices---also, Dragonball dubbed in Spanish is hilarious.  BounceGiggle

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:59:26 PM »

Just saw PAN'S LABYRINTH.  This is a great movie, and a great good movie for lovers of bad movies.   Who was scarier, the Pale Man or El Capitan?

Del Toro's DVD commentary is the best I've ever heard, and takes the viewer deep inside the creative process.  The logic of the imagery in this movie is amazing, and much of it works on a subconscious level.  Without this commentary I would have never consciously noticed the fact that the tree Ofelia climbs under to rescue the key from the frog resembles a uterus, with the dead branches representing the Fallopian tubes.  Or that the shape of the tree echoes the shape of the faun's horns.  Del Toro provides many other examples of how the imagery echoes (or as he says, "rhymes") throughout different parts of the film, as well as explaining the logic behind his use of color schemes to represent interior and exterior, the magical world and the mundane worlds, and how the schemes start to bleed into one another as the film continues.   Brilliant. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »

El Capitan was extremely cruel.

Torgo

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »

***1/2 out of ****.

A fantastic movie but just a small amount of pacing issues at times keeps me from giving it a perfect score.  One of the most visually stunning and imaginative movies that I've seen in eons. Terrific performances all around.  This feels like something that Terry Gilliam would have been interested in thematically.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
dinosaur_jr.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »

i had to travel a long distance to watch this movie in the only theater showing it...and i´m glad it didn´t dissapoint me.Great acting,story and good special effects.Hope i can buy the movie soon. Smile

about the subtitles,it depends on the movie  ...sometimes is bad, because if they say something funny(not talking about this movie)you start laughing before they say it completely(at least is weird in the theater,if you are reading faster than the others to not miss much about the movie,acting etc)...but is better than dubbed(usually).I recently buy a movie called Day of the beast ..by Álex de la Iglesia,Didn´t notice it wasn´t in spanish Hatred .And the english version is terrible. Thumbdown

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:41:44 PM »

Without this commentary I would have never consciously noticed the fact that the tree Ofelia climbs under to rescue the key from the frog resembles a uterus, with the dead branches representing the Fallopian tubes.  Or that the shape of the tree echoes the shape of the faun's horns.   

I remember thinking that before - not about the tree, but in the scene when the book starts bleeding, the blood seems to form the shape of a uterus and fallopian tubes, which makes sense when you consider what it predicts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:46:02 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.