Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:35 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 50 Dystopian movies of all time « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Top 50 Dystopian movies of all time  (Read 11417 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 02, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »

list

I don't know that a movie like "death race 2000" shuold be described with an elegant word lke "dystopian" but there it is.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »

One of my co-workers sent me that yesterday.  I take issue with a few of them, but Death Race definitely belongs on the list. 

There's a big disconnect between post-nukes and dystopian on the list.  Where I think Mad Max is appropriate, I'm not so sure about The Road Warrior.

Also, I, Robot?

Seriously?

I realize that they compiled the list based on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB scores, though, so it really should be taken with a grain of salt.  IMDB regulars typically display a shocking lack of understanding about what makes a great movie and most of them tend to understand a good movie as being a blockbuster.  Because it does well in terms of box office dollars doesn't mean that it's a good movie.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:09:01 PM »

I have a gripe  about one of the honorable mentions. I thought The Last Man on Earth was a far better adaptation of I Am Legend than the Omega Man.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »

I have a gripe  about one of the honorable mentions. I thought The Last Man on Earth was a far better adaptation of I Am Legend than the Omega Man.

Amen brother!  Last Man was much much much more faithful than Omega Man.  Granted, Omega Man was a good flick, it just doesn't have the sense of loneliness and doom that Price's version had.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »

Dystopias are typically set in either the future or a far distant planet or fantasy world.  While some movies on the list do have dysfunctional societies (A Boy and His Dog) that they are also post-apocalyptic, which by definition means society had fallen and any societies you are dealing with are insular, meaning they are tribal, kind of marks them as NOT being Dystopias.  But I suppose some could argue the point either way on a case by case basis.

However, IMHO, the movies below actually have a genre they are better fitted to.  And it isn't dystopia:

48. Starship Troopers (1997) <- BEM pseudo space opera.
44. Strange Days (1995) <- 'Futuristic' urban VR crime drama.
42. I Robot (2004) <- Did the compiler drop acid or something?
33. They Live (1988) <- More of an TZ BEM/Alien invasion.*
31. War Of the Worlds (1953) <- Alien invasion of 50s era Earth!!!*
27. On The Beach (1959) <- End of the world/apocalypse.*
16. Pleasantville (1998) <- What drugs were the compilers of this list on?*
15. Serenity (2005) <- Really? REALLY???
11. Sleeper (1973) <- Self-indulgent nonsense.  The Running Man should be slotted here.

Never heard of/seen the following so I can't comment.

49. One Point O (2004)
45. Idiocracy (2006)
36. A Scanner Darkly (2006)
32. District 13 (2004)
23. V for Vendetta (2005)
18. Battle Royale (2000)
12. The Trial (1962)
4. Wings of Desire (1987)
Code 46 (2003)

(*) Their is no futuristic dystopian society depicted in any of these.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
horseshoe crab
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:31:23 AM »

There's a heap of those I would never call dystopian.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:26:03 AM »

No ZARDOZ?...(sorry, Menard,wherever you are...)

No the TIME MACHINE? I mean...dam!
  Not a very good list...and of course,it takes most of it's picks from movies of the last 20 years or so...

We should make a BAD MOVIES List of Societies That Suck.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »

However, IMHO, the movies below actually have a genre they are better fitted to.  And it isn't dystopia:

44. Strange Days (1995) <- 'Futuristic' urban VR crime drama.
16. Pleasantville (1998) <- What drugs were the compilers of this list on?*

Pleasantville is such a stupid choice it boggles the mind...

Strange Days though, I'm going to argue for.  Maybe it's because I don't know how the 90s were for other people, but there were a LOT of very dreary people in that movie to the point where most if not all seemed suppressed by their society around them.  At least the underclass were...

Never heard of/seen the following so I can't comment.
36. A Scanner Darkly (2006)
23. V for Vendetta (2005)
18. Battle Royale (2000)
4. Wings of Desire (1987)

Wings of Desire is a bit iffy for me, since from memory it isn't set in the future [but I could be way off the mark]  Still its a great film!  A Scanner Darkly will apply for me, to a fashion.  V for Vendetta very much applies, and you could put Battle Royale in there no doubt as well.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »

32. District 13 (2004)
Make it your mission in life to see this movie.

I'm serious.

It's a total rip off of Escape From New York and Assault On Precinct 13 but it also has a series of extremely exciting parkour stunts.  There has never been an action movie like it.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »

It's not just blatantly obvious movies like Zardoz that were left off the list.  Consider that NONE of the following movies made it either. .

Judge Dredd
Demolition Man
Logan's Run
The Time Machine

These are classic 'Metropolis' themed dystopian futures.  Judge Dredd and Demolition Man more so than Logan's Run, which has no real class distinction between workers and elite/have's have-nots other than there being normal citizens and Sandmen, and the dome where the wild kids were kept.  But, c'mon, the future society of the Eloi and the Morlocks in The Time Machine are about as an in-your-face definition of Dystopian as you can get.  PLUS this is classic H. G. Wells!

I mean, c'mon. . .

dystopia
dystopia [dis‐toh‐piă], a modern term invented as the opposite of utopia, and applied to any alarmingly unpleasant imaginary world, usually of the projected future. The term is also applied to fictional works depicting such worlds. A significant form of science fiction and of modern satire, dystopian writing is exemplified in H. G. Wells's The Time Machine (1895), George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty‐Four (1949), and Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker (1980).  - source: Literary Dictionary

The Time Machine is mentioned in cyclopedia entries, but not this "Top 50 Dystopian Moves of All Time" list?!  I'm telling you the compilers of this list were either on drugs or don't have a clue what this genre is really about.

And what about these. .

Quintet <- If this is not a Dystopian future world nothing is!
Johnny Mnemonic <- How do you include Blade Runner but casually forget cyberpunk movies like this?
Tron <- This is far more classically Dystopian than Strange Days.
The Handmaid's Tale
The Running Man
The New Gladiators
Fortress
Aeon Flux
(?)
Tank Girl (kind of)
Barb Wire (kind of)
The Quiet Earth (?)
&tc

Yet Pleasantville, an escapist fantasy about teens sucked into a Utopian B&W television world made the list?  I mean, HELLO, it's a UTOPIA you %&^!#@ morons!!!  Obviously the compilers of this list failed the comprehension portion of their SATs.  It's sad, really, but what can you do.

Oh, and I missed this the first time:

37. Silent Running (1972) <- A guy on a spaceship does NOT a society make, ergo this exploration of human behavior does NOT remotely qualify as a Dystopia.  If it does then we also should include The Black Hole.

If it were me I'd say the Top 12 should look something more like this (based purely on theme)…

12. Gattaca
11. Planet of the Apes (lumping all the movies together)
10. Blade Runner
9. Logan's Run
8. A Clockwork Orange
7. The Handmaid's Tale
6. Fahrenheit 451
5. THX 1138
4. Soylent Green
3. 1984
2. The Time Machine
1. Metropolis

What have I forgotten to mention?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:00:35 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »

And what about these. .

The Running Man

I cannot disagree with anything you said; so, I'll point out a technical error.   TeddyR

THE RUNNING MAN was on the list, at least as an Honorable Mention.

By the way, I agree your list is better, at least insofar as it is MUCH closer to the list *I* would compile.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »

I would mention the 1965 Lemmy Caution classic ALPHAVILLE (1965) as well.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 04:06:09 AM »

Kester, just so you know coming up on Number 43 is the one and only Logan's Run...

Yet Pleasantville, an escapist fantasy about teens sucked into a Utopian B&W television world made the list?  I mean, HELLO, it's a UTOPIA you %&^!#@ morons!!!  Obviously the compilers of this list failed the comprehension portion of their SATs.  It's sad, really, but what can you do.

I agree that it shouldn't be on the list, but for a different reason.  I think the point of Pleasantville is that at first glance it seems like a complete Utopia, the stereotypical 50s 'perfect society' but because the people living there are so stringently perfect, the place would no doubt feel like a complete dystopia if you even had a slightly different view.  I think I'd be totally freaked out by a town like Pleasantville, and my stockpile of dead baby jokes would fall flat on their head everytime.

A place that doesn't laugh at dead baby jokes is a place I DON'T want to live in...   BounceGiggle

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:41 AM »

they were going for variety I think.  they didn't want it to be all dank, robots in control sci fi.  hence laregly innapropriate choices like pleasentville
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:01:23 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

I agree that it shouldn't be on the list, but for a different reason.  I think the point of Pleasantville is that at first glance it seems like a complete Utopia, the stereotypical 50s 'perfect society' but because the people living there are so stringently perfect, the place would no doubt feel like a complete dystopia if you even had a slightly different view.  I think I'd be totally freaked out by a town like Pleasantville, and my stockpile of dead baby jokes would fall flat on their head everytime.

A place that doesn't laugh at dead baby jokes is a place I DON'T want to live in...   BounceGiggle

I'm sorry but, for me, your argument that any society can be perceived as a Dystopia is specious.  Every culture throughout existence has viewed the culture of the "Other", the "Outsider", as being the polar opposite of their own.  By this logic every society is a Dystopia because it could be conceived from some POV as being such.  Which, I suppose, is why we've had so many wars through the course of human history.  One man's Utopia is another's Dystopia; but in this case you have to look at the movie in the context of it's presentation.

Pleasantville is a retelling of the biblical 'Fall of Man'.  The town is akin to the Garden of Eden, it exists in a perfect state, that the citizens of the Utopia aren't aware of their 'faults' is because they exist in that perfect Utopian state.  Enter Eve and the apple, which in this case is sex.  Once Adam takes a bite of the apple his eyes are open, thus he realizes that his idealistic state of existence really isn't all that ideal, thus Utopia is shattered.  Which is precisely what happens in Pleasantville.  Their eyes are opened and they receive a rude awakening, thus their Utopian existence is forever shattered.  There is no going back.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Top 50 Dystopian movies of all time « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.