Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:41:57 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Lovecraft story would you like to see made into a movie « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Lovecraft story would you like to see made into a movie  (Read 8249 times)
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« on: October 03, 2007, 08:48:11 AM »

Im excited that Del Toro is turning "At the mountains of madness" into a movie, I'd like to hope this could do well enough to spark more Lovecraft adaptations. What adaptaions would you like to see?
 Id like to see "The dream quest for Unkown Kadath" made into a movie. Its one of Lovecrafts most epic storys and has a lot of action including large battles with monsterous armys. It would be cool to see what they could do with the imagery of that story.
Id also of course like to see a big screen adaptation of  the "Call of Chutulu".

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:23:50 AM »

Im excited that Del Toro is turning "At the mountains of madness" into a movie, I'd like to hope this could do well enough to spark more Lovecraft adaptations. What adaptaions would you like to see?
 Id like to see "The dream quest for Unkown Kadath" made into a movie. Its one of Lovecrafts most epic storys and has a lot of action including large battles with monsterous armys. It would be cool to see what they could do with the imagery of that story.
Id also of course like to see a big screen adaptation of  the "Call of Chutulu".

I don't know that there could be a better adaptation of "The Call of Cthulhu" than the silent-movie version.
http://www.coldfusionvideo.com/c/callofcthulhu.html

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »

Those would be the two biggies for me - At the Mountains of Madness and Call of Cthulhu.

The problem with Lovecraft's stories is that the most effective ones generally don't have enough material for a feature-length movie. Lots of atmosphere, very clever and creepy, but not a lot in the way of plot or characters. I think that's one of the reasons there are so many crappy adaptations out there - you design a set and costumes, and there's not much more to work with. That's not a criticism of Lovecraft. It's just that his style isn't the most suited to movie adaptation.

At the Mountains of Madness, at novella length, is at least longer, and should work better, although much of the length is due to Lovecraft's vivid descriptions. Come to think of it, that might be why HPL doesn't translate well into film. His style stimulates the imagination to produce scary images. He describes the indescribable and stirs up disturbing thoughts in the reader. You can't just show something to people and expect to get the same result.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »

Those would be the two biggies for me - At the Mountains of Madness and Call of Cthulhu.

The problem with Lovecraft's stories is that the most effective ones generally don't have enough material for a feature-length movie. Lots of atmosphere, very clever and creepy, but not a lot in the way of plot or characters. I think that's one of the reasons there are so many crappy adaptations out there - you design a set and costumes, and there's not much more to work with. That's not a criticism of Lovecraft. It's just that his style isn't the most suited to movie adaptation.

At the Mountains of Madness, at novella length, is at least longer, and should work better, although much of the length is due to Lovecraft's vivid descriptions. Come to think of it, that might be why HPL doesn't translate well into film. His style stimulates the imagination to produce scary images. He describes the indescribable and stirs up disturbing thoughts in the reader. You can't just show something to people and expect to get the same result.

Ahah, therein lies the rub in the nubbin. Most movie-goers today demand a clear look at the monster and do not like to have to rely on thier imagination, which is very unfortunate. I found that the most firghtening movies for me were the ones where the monster/badguy were NOT shown clearly. You were given descriptions and perhaps a quick shot of something amphorous and slimy perhaps. Mix that with some really good atmosphere and perhaps some sub-monsters that are disturbing and you really have something. I cannot really remember a specific film where this is done off the top of my head but the movie in the mouth of Madness (1995) by Clive barker comes close. In that movie, you don't really get a clear look at the monster(s) but what you DO see was enough for me to get my imagination going... I really do think it could be done, and done well with some carefull planning.

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:34 PM »

I'd love to see a good adaptation of "The mound". It's one of his lesser known works, about a conquistador who deserts from his expedition and finds the gate to an ancient civilisation. It's around 100 pages, if I recall properly, and there's enough material for several movies in there.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »

I'd love to see a good adaptation of "The mound". It's one of his lesser known works, about a conquistador who deserts from his expedition and finds the gate to an ancient civilisation. It's around 100 pages, if I recall properly, and there's enough material for several movies in there.

...mostly describing their social structure.

That's the problem with a lot of Lovecraft's longer works, at least as far as movie adaptations are concerned -- he goes off on social treatises about the non-human civilizations and cultures.

Me, I'm just waiting for a GOOD version of The Lurking Fear -- three versions filmed so far, and none of them much good.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »

Actually, I was just considering what good Lovecraft adaptations there are, and the Brian Yuzna films came to mind - Reanimator and From Beyond. What makes them work is that they don't try to adapt the stories as much as borrow a premise and some characters, then have fun with it. Necronomicon was another one I didn't think was too bad, because it was an anthology. The stories do lend themselves better to short segments.

---------------------
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:26:59 PM »

How about one of his soul and civilization-destroying stories.  Done right, it could be a frightening study of a city's descent into darkness.  "The Doom that Came to Sarnath" or "Nyarlathotep" could be a basis for such a film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:10 PM »

THE THING ON THE DOORSTEP  or maybe
THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS . . . .

those creeped me out big time!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
horseshoe crab
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »

His stories are incredibly uncinematic (not a complaint) so I think the best bet would be to combine a few stories or just use a few concepts as a launching pad, a la In the Mouth of Madness.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:49:59 AM »

I'd like to see some of his short stories filmed such as The Festival and The Evil Clergyman, The Tomb is also a good one to consider.

I had a HP omnibus a while back but lost the thing in a move: I hate losing books.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:52:36 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing a well directed version of Shadow Over Innsmouth.  Apart from that, I really can't think of too many others.  I've seen some of the other ones that were translated to film, and they were all pretty painful. 
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »

I'd like to see three tales of Lovecraftian Horror:
The Rats In The Walls or The Shadow Over Insmouth;
In The Vault;
The Colour Out Of Space...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »

Wasn't "The Shadow over Innsmouth" what they based most of the movie version of Dagon on? or am I thinking of another story?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 07:26:01 PM »

I'd like to see three tales of Lovecraftian Horror:
The Rats In The Walls or The Shadow Over Insmouth;
In The Vault;
The Colour Out Of Space...

The Shadow Over Innsmouth would make a creepy movie.

Adaptations have been done of The Rats in the Walls and The Colour Out Of Space. The Rats in the Walls was the basis for one of the stories in Brian Yuzna's anthology film, Necronomicon. The Colour out of Space has actually been adapted a few times, as The Curse with Wil Wheaton and Die Monster Die with Boris Karloff most notably. The bit in Creepshow with Stephen King sprouting moss also owes something to the story.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Lovecraft story would you like to see made into a movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.