Richard Elfman's "The Forbidden Zone"

<< < (3/3)

Derf:
The Forbidden Zone is one of my personal favorites. I put it in when I need to find my "happy place" again, as it never fails to cheer me up. I've heard the rumors of a sequel, but personally, I hope it is never made. Elfman is older now, and times have changed; there is no way to recapture the insanity that made this movie work so well. If something like this were released today, there would be a public furor, and all involved with the movie would never be allowed to work again and labelled forever as racist, sexist, homophobic swine of the lowest order (never mind that none of those labels would be accurate). I would fear that a modern sequel would be something more along the lines of Dumb and Dumber, relying on lowest-common-denominator drivel to drive the non-story. I say let this one stand alone as a testament to lunacy.

peter johnson:
The boxers you refer to that were also in UHF are a meta-comedy troupe called "The Kipper Kids".  They were/are notorious for showing up at comedy clubs in diapers and doing their entire act in baby-language -- not "ma-ma/da-da" -- Though they are indeed DADA as all hell -- but grunts and coos and glottal gurgles.
Bette Midler has been married to the larger of the 2 Kipper Kids for 30 years or so.
I don't even know if they still perform, but when I was on the comedy circuit they had a reputation for odd behaviour that surpassed Andy Kaufmann and Emo Philips combined.
peter kipper/denny kid

peter johnson:
. . . oh, I also have to shout-out the great great Cab Calloway numbers in the film -- It's a shame that more people today don't seek out that old Cab Calloway music, as it still rocks:  If you like Forbidden Zone, check out "International House", with W.C. Fields, George Burns, Bela Lugosi, Gracie Allen, and Cab Calloway playing the very non-D.A.R.E. song "Reefer Man"!!
peter reefer/denny de man

livinginthesixthdimension:
Quote from: Derf on July 13, 2008, 08:40:58 AM

If something like this were released today, there would be a public furor, and all involved with the movie would never be allowed to work again and labelled forever as racist, sexist, homophobic swine of the lowest order (never mind that none of those labels would be accurate).

wELL, actually, the film DID have that reaction when it was originally released. Richard Elfman was even accused of being an anti-Semite, even though he's Jewish!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page