Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:25:10 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Up from the Depths « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Up from the Depths  (Read 20703 times)
mogwai
« on: May 03, 2000, 11:05:33 PM »

ah, this is so shocking! sam bottoms next movie after this was "apocalypse now" where you can see him sitting on a boat stone high 24 hours. look what drugs can do to ya!
MegaZeo
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I had first seen this movie a few months back, and I was stunned. How could anything be this bad? The "killer fish/shark/whatever" effects were terribly bad, but not even bad enough to be fun. For a moment I wondered why this was never done by "Mystery Science Theater 3000," but then I realized it was probably too boring. This makes "Plan 9 From Outer Space" look like an academy award-winner!
Joe the Photog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I played the photographer in this adventure epic.  It was worse, much worse, than you think.  However, I believe the Bottoms in \\"Up From the Depths\\" is the brother of Tim Bottoms, who was, I think, in "Apocolypse Now".  "Apocolypse" was also filmed in the Philippines in the '70's; that's another story.

Time permitting, I'll post some stories from the filming of this Corman classic.  The driver of the profile fish who crashed it into the reef, fell out and put his hand on a lion fish, for instance, or the Budweiser cans which were full of sand because a full beer can was too expensive.

It truly was an experience to remember, and to keep me away from Hollywood forever more.

Joe Cantrell

Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I remember the newspaper ads for this killer fish *ahem* epic way back in the late seventies, they featured a blonde in a bikini about to be swallowed whole by the titular beastie.  The cover box art for the Warner Bros Home Video release of Piranha featured the same blonde in a bikini, this time with a giant piranha about to swallow her whole.  Roger Corman is incapable of wasting money on anything.  Needless to say I wanted to see this movie for the fish.  Luckily I did not see it until Vestron Video released it many, many years later (and even then I avoided it because a friend of mine hated it so much).

The primary reason that I finally saw this movie is that I LOVE monster movies more than anything, Charles Griffith (the writer behind such Corman classics as The Little Shop of Horrors and others) wrote and directed it, so I wasn't surprised at all by the broad comedy (in fact if this movie had been played straight it would have been far, far worse).

If you want some serious pain then try sitting through the "comedy" Smokey Bites the Dust.  It was also made by Griffith (I think) and features the guy who played the hotel manager as a hapless deputy that gets coated in manure and almost decapitated by some wild arabian guy (if I am recalling the movie clearly, I saw it on HBO when I was a kid and my memory can be fuzzy on things like that).  One of the Van Patton boys (I think it's Jimmy) plays the lead.  Who boy is that movie ever BAAAAAAD!
Dave
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movies is so bad ya gotta love it!
I actually have the radio spots that they used to promote the movie and the presskit!
Just think another 20 years from now and that stuff we'll be worth $$$ LOL
Anywayz wanna bet there will be a
Up from the Depths 2?
Tyler
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 05:29:14 AM »

I bought up from the depths on DVD! RELLY RARE DUDE! Its so cool and cheesy love it
hmarx20
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »

Can you tell me where you got the DVD for this movie? I am looking for the Region 2 release on DVD.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 05:47:27 AM »

Can you tell me where you got the DVD for this movie? I am looking for the Region 2 release on DVD.

The reference I see for a DVD release is here:

http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=318

It appears to be a Japanese DVD.  The review goes on to say that online retailers list is as the alternate title "Jurassic Jaws."   If you plug that and "DVD" into Google, you get some pages.  It looks to have limited availability and rather expensive for a low-budget horror film.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Jurassic+Jaws%22+dvd&btnG=Search

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Up from the Depths « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.