Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:11:04 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Asphyx (Capsule Review) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Asphyx (Capsule Review)  (Read 15987 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 03, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »

A Victorian era scientist discovers a way to capture the spirit of death.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »

Love this movie. First saw it on late-night TV as a teenager. Found a copy on eBay a few years ago. Has a nice Hammery feel to it.

A couple of things stand out for me with this movie, most notably that our gentleman scientist, much like the Legion of Doom, is only allowed to use a plan once. The electric chair worked perfectly. It was controllable, easy to stop, and wouldn't necessarily kill quickly. It was a complete success. So, what does he do? Build a trick guillotine. When that fails catastrophically, does he return to what worked? No, he builds a gas chamber.

Of course, the gas was part of Giles' plan, but nobody seems to consider that they are jumping through a lot of execution devices.

Was that, perhaps, the movie's gimmick? You get to see people hanged, electrocuted, beheaded and gassed, not to mention blown up and smooshed between two colliding cars.

Did find it interesting that although Cunningham is immortal, he still ages. Assuming he recovers from the car accident, maybe he'll turn into the Face of Boe in a few hundred thousand years. That is, if he doesn't get his head chopped off by Clancy Brown in 1986. Actually, that would seem like a logical part of the process. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Greenhornet
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:15:39 PM »

The scientist builds a guillotine to capture his daughter's Asphyx, but the experiment goes wrong and she is beheaded!
And this "brilliant" scientist didn't see that coming? I mean it's a freaking guillotine it cuts off peoples heads! If the experiment HAD worked, wouldn't he have ended up with a "Jan-In-The-Pan"?
I think that mad scientists need friends who talk LESS about "tampering in God's domain" and MORE about "what happens if...." Twirling
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:48:15 PM »

The guillotine had a brake on it, to stop the blade just short of doing the job.

Makes you wonder though. The Asphyx seems to be smart enough to know what a guillotine is, or at least that it is dangerous. But the critter is not smart enough to know about the safety mechanism, or that Sir Hugo has no intention of beheading anyone.

Judging by the outcome, maybe it's just smart enough to recognize that Sir Hugo is a complete numbnuts.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:21:57 AM »

I found the preview for this movie on YouTube a couple of nights ago. I had a nightmare about it the very same night. Either I'm very easy to scare, or this is proof that old British horror movies can still pack a punch.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »

I found the preview for this movie on YouTube a couple of nights ago. I had a nightmare about it the very same night. Either I'm very easy to scare, or this is proof that old British horror movies can still pack a punch.

I like the film and think it has both interesting ideas and some truly creepy parts.  My vote is that, while it has some funny flaws, it is a well-crafted story and that is the goal of most any movie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Asphyx (Capsule Review) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.