Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:14 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The TOP 10 TV SHOWS of ALL TIME just for fun « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The TOP 10 TV SHOWS of ALL TIME just for fun  (Read 20323 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: October 04, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »

The TOP 10 TV SHOWS of ALL TIME just for fun

I really dislike the phrase “…of All Time…” for reasons that I feel are obvious, for example, the history of television as a daily broadcasting medium is a scant 60 years… but, in that time human beings perfected the art of television programming… and well, there’s plenty of stuff to talk about! 

What programs do you recall that influenced everybody else, or were too great to forget, or were short-lived but important…?? 

Here’s my quick list: 
 1) I LOVE LUCY : the inspiration for this thread; been watching a bit here and there of the TV LAND marathon and it is still funny !!  The best TV has come up with in 60 years. 
 2) THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET : the TV program not filmed in front of a live audience that taught the rest of the industry how to do it non-LUCY style...
 3) LEAVE IT TO BEAVER the original family-values television program and still almost entirely inoffensive (but not quite).  Sensitive, informative, funny, often corny and insufferable, yet with contrite parents, this show is completely remarkable !!  Damn, I HATED THIS SHOW growing up.   Now, I love it.  My own TV favorite. 
 4) THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW : still funny, touching, and charming, a bit tired, but only because it has heart.  Damn fine television. 
 5) BEWITCHED probably the most successful fantasy of all the great fantasy TV programs (THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE MUNSTERS, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, MORK & MINDY…)
 6) SEINFELD : there isn't a sitcom that does not borrow from this breakthrough program on TV today...
 7) THREE’S COMPANY there’s not too many shows primarily focused on sex, and relatively candid about it, in all of television’s history, and this is probably the most influential long-term. 
 8) FAMILY TIES the spoofing and gentle update of the family sitcom, still relevant today, though charmingly 1980s corny. 
 9) SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE “… your mama sews socks that smell …!!!” 
10) STAR TREK

Hey wait, here's number eleven: 
LOST IN SPACE : because there wasn’t a more exciting first season of SCIFI, FANTASY, or ADVENTURE in TV history… yeh, I love this one too, so it’s in number 10 ‘cause I say so !!   TeddyR

WHAT'S YOUR LIST OF THE TOP 10 TELEVISION SHOWS ??

ULTHAR's commentary makes me decide that THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW supplants FAMILY TIES at number 8 (never thought of it) but there would be no FAMILY TIES if not for MTMS... and I never considered ALL IN THE FAMILY, GOOD TIMES, GOLDEN GIRLS, LAW & ORDER... but, I basically pulled my list outta my...  Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 11:16:15 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:58:08 PM »

Man, there's so many to choose from, a Top 10 is impossible.  Your list is heavy on sit-coms and I would HAVE to add "Barney Miller" and "WKRP in Cincinatti" to that list.  Great, wonderfully funny shows.

For similar shows that had significant impact on both TV and society in general, "All in the Family" would have to be included, as would, I think, "MASH."

Dramas?  How about "Hill Street Blues"?  Great show in it's early seasons (but turned too much soap opera later).

Speaking of Soaps, you cannot ignore the impact "Dallas" had at the time...though I must confess to having never seen a single episode.

Someone in another thread already mentioned the reaching impact of "The Simpsons" and some other animated comedies...

Really, Top 10 of all time?  Hard to say...and definitely a mood thing (ie, am I in the mood for comedy, drama, etc).  I will say that I DO like every show on your list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »

Man, there's so many to choose from, a Top 10 is impossible.  Your list is heavy on sit-coms and I would HAVE to add "Barney Miller" and "WKRP in Cincinatti" to that list.  Great, wonderfully funny shows.

For similar shows that had significant impact on both TV and society in general, "All in the Family" would have to be included, as would, I think, "MASH."
You are so right...!!  Fleetingly, the DRAMAS swept through my head, but were rejected... AND, I never thought of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, should be number three or four...  TeddyR  Since we ain't carvin' it in granite, I just hope we all have fun !!   TongueOut

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

Since we ain't carvin' it in granite, I just hope we all have fun !!   TongueOut

In that case, can I nominate "Hello, Larry" to the list?

I kid, I kid.   Twirling

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:57:56 PM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle ...but, I cannot applaud you... BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

EDIT: All kidding aside, of course I DID applaud you !!  Who the hell remembers McLean Stevenson's great debacle???  You 'n' me, kid...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:09:01 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:35:28 AM »

Hmmm....I see!!!! Well! I refuse to participate in this thread!     Wink

Actually, I think I may have put "Of ALL TIME!" in there for dramatic reasons...I guess I'm a little over dramatic at times.
 Maybe that's why I tend to lean on dramatic TV series. If I was to go the comedy route...gee...
 .GREEN ACRES
 .the BEVERLY HILLBILLYS - It's no mistake my first born son is named Jed.
 .The ADDAMS FAMILY
 .The MUNSTERS
 .POLICE SQUAD
 .SLEDGE HAMMER
 .the SIMPSONS
 .BEAVUS and BUTTHEAD
 .REN and STIMPY
 .YOUR SHOW of SHOWS---I was too young to see it in it's intial run...but I recall seeing old reruns of it...and Sid Ceaser really cracks me up!  BounceGiggle

I guess I tend to lean to the overly ridicoulus as far as comedy goes-maybe that's why I prefer the 3 Stooges over the Marx Bros.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:41:08 AM »

I think VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was far more influential than it ever gets credit for nowadays. STAR TREK in essence is like VTTBOTS in space. The show was very popular too in its time.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

As to your list, I agree with most of your choices allhallowsday combined with RC's but would add the following:

ALL IN THE FAMILY.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:00:54 PM »

I think Married With Children deserves a mention.  It was somewhat groundbreaking in bringing the new cynical style of humor into prominence as opposed to the more innocent stuff that came before it.  And Kelly Bundy is just plain smokin' hot  TeddyR 

I'd give Dark Shadows a mention as well.  It really took the vampire from an evil killing machine to a more introspective, sympathetic character, which is how they're portrayed in damned near everything today. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »

Actually, I think I may have put "Of ALL TIME!" in there for dramatic reasons...I guess I'm a little over dramatic at times.
 Maybe that's why I tend to lean on dramatic TV series. If I was to go the comedy route...gee...
As ULTHAR pointed out, I did lean on comedy but only because that was my own opinion, I'd be interested to know which dramas you like, none really sprang to mind, but I'd again have to go with another fantasy oversight which right quick supplants BEWITCHED... THE TWILIGHT ZONE !!!
.GREEN ACRES
 .the BEVERLY HILLBILLYS - It's no mistake my first born son is named Jed.
 .The ADDAMS FAMILY
 .The MUNSTERS
Four great shows; GREEN ACRES is brilliant, but the better it gets, the more obscure... ("...don't look in the tomaetah can...!")  THE MUNSTERS was produced by the same team that brought us LEAVE IT TO BEAVER...
.the SIMPSONS
Could definitely take the number two spot.  Brilliant. 
I guess I tend to lean to the overly ridicoulus as far as comedy goes-maybe that's why I prefer the 3 Stooges over the Marx Bros.
THE MARX BROTHERS were certainly ridiculous... !!! 

As to your list, I agree with most of your choices allhallowsday combined with RC's but would add the following:
ALL IN THE FAMILY.
I had added ALL IN THE FAMILY with a mention in my later EDIT... you are also right, though that show has not aged well (a show my whole family watched, loved, and enjoyed) I was surprised even my own Mom (now 82 and a long time Carroll O'Connor fan) agreed that the show, which we had rewatched some of in a TV LAND marathon, was not nearly so funny or relevant anymore... what was once radical is now dated.  Yet, its work is done, and it is without doubt landmark television and belongs in the top half of any list. 

I think Married With Children deserves a mention.  It was somewhat groundbreaking in bringing the new cynical style of humor into prominence as opposed to the more innocent stuff that came before it.  And Kelly Bundy is just plain smokin' hot  TeddyR 

I'd give Dark Shadows a mention as well.  It really took the vampire from an evil killing machine to a more introspective, sympathetic character, which is how they're portrayed in damned near everything today. 
You're right, MARRIED WITH CHILDREN is hugely important in the evolution of television, and perhaps even SEINFELD owes that program a debt.  I could supplant SEINFELD with MARRIED WITH CHILDREN (I personally prefer SEINFELD) because MARRIED WITH CHILDREN crossed a line, creating unlikeable characters (which of course we ended up loving) and caused a stir back then.  It also is funny TV and once in awhile, brilliant television; but SEINFELD which also was built upon unlikeable characters, would then move down... or up... the list because it still belongs in the top 10, for being the first situation comedy with heartless characters (that also happened to be damned funny).  The Bundys had no class, but they had heart. 

I grew up on DARK SHADOWS, listen to the soundtrack often, and find the tapes I have of reruns of the show..., well, laughable.  It was not GREAT television, unless you were 12 years old or younger when first exposed to it (I was six and remember the introduction of the character Barnabas Collins in the show's initial run... when Willie Loomis opened the secret crypt and the chained-shut coffin that had lain undisturbed for over 170 years... I was very impressionable !!!)  Until yanked off the air in 1970 or '71, we rushed home from school every afternoon to watch DARK SHADOWS...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 10:42:07 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »

These are up for debate, but I'd include:

COPS- I'd argue it's probably the first 'reality' type show, not counting game shows.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer- debatable.  Helped inspire, in part, Joan Of Arcadia, Charmed, Dead Like Me, and a slew of supernatural shows.

The Simpsons- I'd say it's influential.

The Honeymooners- very funny show, pretty much was what caused the Flintstones to debut.  The Flintstones, in turn, gave way to shows like The Jetsons, Simpsons, Dinosaurs, etc.  Loud fat husband, attractive wife, etc.

That's my opinion.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

COPS- I'd argue it's probably the first 'reality' type show, not counting game shows.

That's my opinion.

Hmm. Actually...theyr'e have been quite a few reality shows of the past.

Alan Funt's CANDID CAMERA, THAT's INCREDIBLE!, one called HELLO AMERICA ( I think that was the title...I believe that Byron Allen was one of the hosts...any one help me with this title...?)  Question

anyway...here's a FUNNY clip from the old CANDID CAMERA show with Alan Funt and Fanny Flagg...!

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »

That's my opinion.

I didnt' even think of them.  But I still maintain COPS has some influence on tv today.

I wish they'd put That's Incredible back on. Thumbup

Hmm. Actually...theyr'e have been quite a few reality shows of the past.

Alan Funt's CANDID CAMERA, THAT's INCREDIBLE!, one called HELLO AMERICA ( I think that was the title...I believe that Byron Allen was one of the hosts...any one help me with this title...?)  Question

anyway...here's a FUNNY clip from the old CANDID CAMERA show with Alan Funt and Fanny Flagg...!

[youtube=425,350] http://youtube.com/watch?v=wsaWq6LAlJw

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »

Monty Pythons Flying Circus
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 06:37:12 AM »

Tried to pick shows that I spent a lot of time watching rather than what I currently enjoy. Here's my top ten in no particular order.

Happy Days
Star Trek (original)
Leave It To Beaver
Dick Van Dyke Show
Taxi
The Honeymooners
The Odd Couple
Brady Bunch
Seinfeld
Gilligan's Island

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The TOP 10 TV SHOWS of ALL TIME just for fun « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.