Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:43 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Mental Images When You Hear or Read Certain Words « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mental Images When You Hear or Read Certain Words  (Read 3431 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 10, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »

Ever get a particular mental image in your mind whenever you hear or read certain words?

I do all the time.   Smile

For example...

The word "Flee"
Verb: "To run away, as from trouble or danger"
Example:  "Seeing no other alternative, Joe was forced to flee."

Whenever I hear the word "flee", I get a mental picture in my mind of people running away.  Like from Godzilla.
But to me, when one "flees", they must not be carrying anything.  Instead, they must be looking straight ahead or slightly up and to the left and they must also not run like a regular person runs. 
They must have their hands up in the "I surrender" position while running and they must all be screaming, "AIIEEEEE!!!" as they do it.
To me, that is "fleeing". 

-----------------------------------------------------

Another one....
"Poised"
ADJECTIVE: "Held balanced or steady in readiness"
Example, "The evil corporation was poised to take over the rival company."

Whenever I hear or read the word "poised", I picture a person or group of people kneeling down, like runners right before a race starts.
To be truly "poised", they must all have the tips of all of their fingers touching the ground, as if they're about to leap forward to pounce.

-------------------------------------------

"Tout"
Verb:  "To promote or praise energetically; publicize"
Example:  "The press touted the drug company for making a promising new drug"

Whenever I hear this word, I picture someone shaking their finger in another person's face in an accusing and angry manner.  And their finger must be very close to the other person's face.
I know my mental image is incorrect with the meaning of the word, but I can't help it...that's what always comes into my head.
Being "touted" means a finger in the face!

--------------------------------------------------------

"Mulling" or "Mull"
Verb: "To go over extensively in the mind; ponder"
Example: "The Pentagon was mulling over whether to send more troops to Iraq".

When I hear this word, I immediately picture a person or group of people sitting at a big table with one hand on their chins, heads down and thinking hard.
While that pretty much fits the definition, my mind always adds something extra.
In my mind, when one "mulls", they must grind their teeth, move their jaws and make an internal and throaty growling noise while they do it.

------------------------------------------------

"Seeking" or "Seek"
Verb: "To try to locate or discover; search for"
Example:  "He was seeking enlightenment"

When I hear or read this word, I always picture the seeker holding their right hand horizontally above his or her right brow.
Kind of like they're saluting, but they're not.
They look off into the distance with their hand held that way.
They're "seeking".

-------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, my mind comes up with all kinds of weird images whenever I hear certain words.   TeddyR
How about you?
Got any you want to share?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:25:25 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:14:28 AM »

Where do you get these weird ideas for posts?   BounceGiggle
   BREASTS: Breasts come in all shapes and sizes...but I always get a mental picture of huge,pendulce,mounds...of the RUSS MEYER school. Even on a menu-"Baked chicken breast with mashed potaoes and a vegtable"-I still think of big ,BIG boobies!
   DRUNK: "That guy's  drunk!" I always picture a guy with little * 's and bubbles hanging over his head. His tounge is hanging out of his mouth,and his bloodshot eyes are half closed. His nose is red,he's hiccuping and leaning on a lampost. He's wearing a old style 1950's style hat ,with his tie loosened up and a bottle hanging from his fingers.
   ALIEN-'' Are ufo's controlled by alien intelligence?" Most people think of the classic grey types. I almost automatically think of the bugeyed things from INVASION of the SAUCERMEN.
  SNEAKY- "That was a sneaky thing to do!" I always picture Bugs Bunny whistling and shuffling with his hands in his pockets(?),looking absent mindly around at the sky or ceiling.
  FURROWED-" He furrowed his brow,deep in thought." I always picture the guys brow with  lines above his eyebrows  in straight deep creases... a plowed field,with deep ridges...like in a Basil Wolvertoon cartoon.

In fact...(not surprisingly)...I think of most everything in exaggerated cartoon form.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »

Ash has been reading the dictionary again.  TeddyR

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »

catastrophe (n.)
disaster: a terrible disaster or accident, especially one that leads to great loss of life

Now when I first heard this as a child, the first thing that came to my mind was a trophy of a cats ass. Now every time I hear that word, I am presented with an image of someone handing over a bronze cat butt. The giggling that insues often earns me black looks.

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »

I always want to say the word "future" like "THE FUUUTUUURE" with echo effects and all.  Maybeits sort of an homage to Criswell.  I also wan to say evil like "EEEEEEVILLLLL".

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

The word "Flee."

A flea and a fly were caught in the flue.
Said the flea: "Let us fly""
Said the fly: "Let us flee!"
So together,  they flew through a flaw in the flue.

Thank-you, Ash. I always wanted an excuse to post that bit of poetry.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Mental Images When You Hear or Read Certain Words « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.