Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Crab Monsters DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attack of the Crab Monsters DVD  (Read 4519 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: October 11, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »

Okay, I'm at the end of my rope with this DVD of Attack of the Crab Monsters I got. I tried to watch it with my computer's DVD drive (an Iomega Super DVD), and that apparently comes free with Sonic CinePlayer. CinePlayer refuses to play the disc, which it calls "Logical label." It makes it past the FBI warning and the Allied Artists logo before stopping and giving me a popup that says "The DVD volume is invalid!"

I installed InterActual Player (as my Star Wars DVDs had constantly bugged me to anyway), but InterActual says it's a disc with "new features" and made me "switch drives" (WTF?) before allowing me to play the disc with it - whereupon all it would play was the FBI warning and the AI logo, as if that was all that was on the disc. However, later, out of desperation, I was finally able to access the movie's chapters using Windows Media Player of all things, but this is very bothersome, and if I try to skip ahead there's a 50-50 chance WMP will freeze up due to the tax of such a huge file (or so it would appear).

The only thing I can think of is this DVD, bought off eBay, is a forgery despite arriving shrinkwrapped. The back of the disc (the 'shiny side') is a dark purple instead of a light gold, the way most homemade discs I've seen are, and there's a general cheapness to the look of the front cover insert, as thought it's a photocopy of the official DVD's insert. In which case, I was gypped into buying a pirated DVD sold as the real deal. However this shouldn't make a difference. I'm able to watch homemade DVDs using Iomega all the time!

And here's the kicker, the final thing that confuses the hell out of me and has me begging for people's help (not necessarily to be able to watch the film, but rather just to solve the mystery): the DVD plays fine on the DVD player in the living room. What gives? Why will the disc play fine on that player and not my Iomega drive?????
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »

If the underside of the disc is purple then it is certainly a bootleg.  Sounds like it's a bad copy or a "coaster" as bootleggers like to call them.  Contact the Ebay seller and ask for either a proper, working replacement or a refund.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:32 PM »

Duane has a thread on the BMC & BMG forum that might be helpful:

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmoviecentral/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17

Never seen a legitimate "Attack of the Crab Monsters" DVD myself.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:06:13 AM »

Thanks, you guys. Dang it! This really grinds my gears. Hatred

Oh well, at least I now know I'm apparently not the only one with this problem.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Crab Monsters DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.