Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:45 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Heavenly Creatures (1994) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heavenly Creatures (1994)  (Read 4955 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 11, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »

**** out of ****.

Heavenly Creatures was Peter Jackson's first foray into what most people considered to be "mainstream" filmmaking after his splatter days (Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Dead Alive).

It is based on from what I've gathered to be the most infamous and notorious murder that has occurred in New Zealand in the form of 2 teenage girls who ended up viciously murdering one of their mothers in the mid 1950's.

The performances are fantastic all around. Kate Winslet is simply amazing in her acting debut and shows why she has had a long and successfull career.  There are just so many jaw dropping shots/scenes in this movie that I still think that it ranks as Peter Jackson's best directorial effort to date (yes, even better than the LOTR movies which are still most excellent.)

While Peter Jackson has said that he actually sort of prefers the 99 Miramax mandated U.S. cut, I much prefer the original 109 minute cut that was shown in New Zealand and about 3 other countries before Miramax ended up picking it up for international distribution.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:39:12 PM »

Great film, yet one that I haven't watched in quite some time.  It's the film that pushed Jackson into the spotlight and showed what all of us already knew - the guy is one hell of a director.

As you said, the performances are spot on in the film.  Winslet is great and I really liked Melanie Lynskey's work in the film.  Lynskey actually turned out being quite cute.  She was in Fox's sadly shortlived show "Drive" and I didn't really recognize her.  She's hot.

I highly recommend the flick.  I need to get it on DVD sometime.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »

Creatures is a really good movie.  Jackson's next is something called The Lovely Bones and sounds to be in the same vain as Heavenly Creatures. It's about a 14 year old girl who is murdered observing the aftermath of her death and it's effects on her family from heaven.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »

Lovely Bones is a great book and I have complete faith of Peter Jackson in turning it into a great and memorable film.

I've been a Peter Jackson fan since Bad Taste came out originally and it's awesome to see how his career has progressed thus far.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:19:54 PM »

I saw a movie based I think on the same or a similar story called "don't deliver us from evil"  It had a classic 70's horror look  but lacked a compelling storylin so I gave it a thumbs down
Neville

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:40 AM »

Great movie, I loved it. As Torgo said, great acting all around, and the visuals were amazing too.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »

This was one of those late nights trying to get all I could out of HBO's free weeked.

It's such a rare (I daresay bygone) treat to accidentally come across a movie that only gets better as you consider switching the channel.

It's also nice to find out who the director was long after the viewing and exclaim:

"Ah, that explains why it was so much better than it should have been."

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:34:06 PM »

This is an awesome movie.

Fun Fact: After being released from prision, both girls moved away and changed their names. Juliet Hulme became mystery writer Anne Perry. Pauline Parker changed her name to Hilary Nathan and became a devout Catholic. Nathan currently runs a riding school and has devoted her life to helping handicapped children.

This is a video of Hulme (a.k.a. Perry) discussing the murder:

Small | Large
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:43:08 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Heavenly Creatures (1994) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.