Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:34:00 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DVD Recommendations « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DVD Recommendations  (Read 4303 times)
dcjohnson2
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

I haven't purchased any DVDs lately and with not being able to figure out a good set up for my cable TV in my tiny dorm room, I figured I'd get about $100 worth as soon as my defense lowers to a point where I don't feel guilty about it. However, with so many good streaming sites out there and a big DVD collection already I am not sure exactly what I want to get and thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

So far I'm thinking of getting Making Love, Sick: the Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, and The Firesong Trilogy. I was thinking of getting some seasons of Seinfeld, but am not sure if they are worth it seeing as how I can find videos of Seinfeld on Youtube and such albet usually with crappy picture quality. I was also considering the first two seasons of the English TV series, My Hero.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »

My Hero is one of the worst sitcoms Ive ever seen! (and I'm english, Im guessing from "$" that you're US). I'm not dissing your taste in sitcoms or anything but we do have way better ones than My Hero...:

The Office (I guess you know about that)
Darkplace (spoof of 80's horror/detective type shows, but set in a hospital)
I'm Alan Partridge (probably our equivilant of your Curb Your Enthusiasm, crossed with Larry Sanders Show)
Spaced (hard to describe but funny. made by same people who did Sean Of The Dead)

all these are out on DVD, I think in the US as well. theres only one series of Darkplace, with all of the others, the second series is better. hope that helps a bit, I would recommend these.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
dcjohnson2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »

My Hero is one of the worst sitcoms Ive ever seen! (and I'm english, Im guessing from "$" that you're US). I'm not dissing your taste in sitcoms or anything but we do have way better ones than My Hero...:

The Office (I guess you know about that)
Darkplace (spoof of 80's horror/detective type shows, but set in a hospital)
I'm Alan Partridge (probably our equivilant of your Curb Your Enthusiasm, crossed with Larry Sanders Show)
Spaced (hard to describe but funny. made by same people who did Sean Of The Dead)

all these are out on DVD, I think in the US as well. theres only one series of Darkplace, with all of the others, the second series is better. hope that helps a bit, I would recommend these.

I've actually never seen My Hero, which is part of the reason I wanted to buy it as I enjoyed "Father Ted" and really liked Ardal O'Hanlon in that, who stars in My Hero. Being in the States of course, its tough to find a place to watch it. I might hold off on it now though, seeing as how I've read a couple of other bad reviews of it. Darkplace sounds interesting, I might have to check that one out. Never heard of I'm Alan Patridge to the best of my recollection, but I wasn't too into the Larry Sanders Show or Curb Your Enthusiasm so I might hold off on that one. I've heard nothing, but good things about Spaced though and loved Sean of the Dead.

Thanks for the recommendations Smile
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »

The Seinfeld dvd's are worth it, if you're into some of the 'extra' stuff, like the pop-up factoids and interviews/behind the scenes stuff.

As far as movies, a few favorites of mine are:

Orgazmo
Clerks X
Freaked
UHF
Private Parts
Beyond the Mat

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »

I've actually never seen My Hero, which is part of the reason I wanted to buy it as I enjoyed "Father Ted" and really liked Ardal O'Hanlon in that, who stars in My Hero.

okay, be warned. Father Ted is very funny. My Hero is not funny. there's no comparison.

Interesting fact about Father Ted: in the very first episode of the first series, Father Ted visits a tarot card reader who chooses the "death" card for Father Ted, and all manner of spookiness abounds...whilst in the process of filming the very last episode of the final series, the actor who played father Ted (Dermot Morgan ) died of a heart attack.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:15:36 PM by depressed crack addict » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Evan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »

The Seinfeld dvd's are worth it, if you're into some of the 'extra' stuff, like the pop-up factoids and interviews/behind the scenes stuff.

As far as movies, a few favorites of mine are:

Orgazmo
Clerks X
Freaked
UHF
Private Parts
Beyond the Mat
UHF is a must for any movie fan. One of my favorite comedies.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DVD Recommendations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.