Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:28:58 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Cussin' at work a good thing? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cussin' at work a good thing?  (Read 17696 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: October 17, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »

This study says so and it kinda makes sense to me.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »

Is that why Gordon Ramsay is so successful?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:10 PM »

A cure is found on another post.  BounceGiggle

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,116313.0.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:16:33 PM by Scott » Logged

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »

I've been a stay-home mom for the past few years, so I cuss at work often and no one seems to mind.

And now that I'm going back to work, I'm working for a family member who can embarrass a sailor when she's in the right mood, so I suspect it will be OK there as well. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071017125814.w6whem5y&show_article=1

With all of the constant swearing that happens on my team at work, this article makes wonder why we're not the happiest bunch of employees around. Drink

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

So much for problem solving to alleviate those type of frustrations. Image the whole world running around cussing Lookingup Oh, wait that's the way it's been since the beginning. Oh well..............

Actually all that complaining just brings a departments morale down. Sounds to me like someone has a book to sell us.  TeddyR

Cussing = Complaining

There is a point to which issues have to be addressed. As far as cussing is concerned it's been part of the human condition since the beginning I suppose. If it brings it to someones attention that is fine, but with some patients you can find other ways to solve problems and build teams.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:54:44 PM by Scott » Logged

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:40:26 PM »

They've started buckling down hard where I work.  Well, on us grunts anyway.  They've even told us we can't use replacement words like "shoot" or "darn," or any "slang" words, because someone might misinterpret them and be offended.  We all know who the person was that started that idea, and we all know it's because she's so far behind on the times that she will do anything to not have us plague her with our "hip" terminology. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:55:59 PM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

I really have to watch my language at work and I've worked harder over the years to not cuss as much as I did in my youth. 

I tend to lapse back into old habits when around friends, but I used to peal the pain off of walls with language back in my teens.  I figured that people don't want to hear a 32 year old man running off vulgarities at the rate anymore.   TongueOut

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »

I think that I posted a duplicate post about this. If Andrew wants to combine them I'm cool with that.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »

I merged them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 10:34:02 PM »

I tend to use them a lot or not at all, but mostly in rough moments. I'll swear around others who already swear, but not when I can tell it's folks who don't swear much, beyond "damn" and "hell" which I tend to use wherever.

It can be overdone, and I hate when it's not used creatively, then swearing too much just shows the limits of a person's vocabulary. My current boss swears mostly when he complains, which is often, although his sense of humor is kind of dirty as well, obvious though.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »

I was once told that a person who swears just wants attention. I don't agree except on some juvenile occassions. Its really a result of not looking towards the one thing that removes all frustration.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 08:44:40 AM »

In people who curse heavily and regularly, it seems to be used more as filler. Kind of like "um," "ah" or "like." It keeps the sentence going while they think of what they want to say. This suggests their mouths are moving faster than their brains.

I also agree with the limited-vocabulary assessment. "F**king" seems to have become an all-purpose adjective as well as a verb, adverb and expletive. I suppose that's the definition of an expletive - a word added to sentences for various reasons that adds nothing to the meaning.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »

If I couldn't cuss at work, I think my head would explode. I work in tech service and some of the calls I get require me putting some people on hold and banging my head on the desk whilst letting loose a long stream of explitives. Maintaing a cheerfull and polite attitude on the phone while explaining to a customer for an hour what an off switch is and what its purpose in the greater scheme of things is, requires those brief brain cleansing moments.

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Cussin' at work a good thing? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.