Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:55 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  28 WEEKS LATER « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 28 WEEKS LATER  (Read 10945 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: October 23, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »

I watched this one last night and found myself really enjoying it.  I think I may have even liked it better than the first one.  It moves at a pretty quick pace, and the "infected" remain among the most frightening screen zombies I have seen in any film.  Without utterly spoiling things, the movie centers around a UN attempt to clean up England after its entire population is wiped out by the "rage" virus.  The handful of survivors and thousands of expatriates are being brought back to a safe "Green zone" in London while the UN , led by the Americans, finish cleaning up the rest of the country.  The "infected" have all died of starvation and/or killing each other . . . but then a survivor is found who is naturally immune to the rage effects of the virus, but has been bitten and becomes a carrier.  She is brought into the Green Zone, her husband, who thought her dead, kisses her, gets infected, and mayhem ensues.

This is an ultraviolent, fast-moving film whose plotholes go by so fast you don't really notice them.  the main characters are all pretty well acted, and I found myself getting totally caught up in it.  Check it out if you have the time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:21:33 PM by indianasmith » Logged

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:29:21 AM »

I'm kinda on the fence on this one. While on one hand, I did enjoy the movie being alot faster, the plot was pretty good and it had a couple of neat twists. But on the other, the constant stupidity of the UN force and how the security was constantly grated on my nerves. C'mon, a MAITENANCE pass that allows the guy into the heart of the UN command bunker, let alone into the biohazard area? Still it was a good watch if you ignore or laugh off those parts Thumbup I still get a laugh when they lock the entire populatiion under thier protection  in an unsealed subway tube. BounceGiggle

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »

I think you mean 28 WEEKS later.  I thought it was mostly bad, with a few decent shots and gore points, but little else to reccomend it.  The whole "let's have a lead zombie" thing was trite and ridiculous, and while I thought the first film made good use of hand held photography and crazy camera usage, this film went overboard.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Bad!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Neville

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:45:52 AM »

I really enjoyed the build-up, but IMHO the idea of killing the most interesting character right when things explode killed the film. The rest are a series of action scenes, well executed but not very involving.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »

I liked this movie way better than the first.  Mainly because they focused completely on the infected this time.  The first film was ok, but I didn't like how it suddenly changed from an "Escape from the infected" film, to a "escape from the psycho army boy rapists" film for the rest of it, virtually ignoring the infected in the process. 

I understand what kind of statement Danny Boyle was trying to make with the army boys,  I just thought it was dull and rather cliche.  At least in this one you have characters who are constantly involved with the infected.  Because of the whole situation with the family, you end up with a scene that is both repulsive, yet sad at the same time (People who have seen 28 Weeks Later know which one I'm talking about.)  I've never felt those two emotions at once before.   
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 08:05:24 AM »

Spoilers!

I thought it was a great film and much better than most of the crap we get now.

I don't like shaky-cam most of the time but it works well here.  Even when I was a bit bored with the story, I was still amazed with the cinematography.  The film, despite being very violent and depressing, is gorgeous. 

I think I was on this films side from the beginning for one reason: THE KID DIES!  Man, I was so freaking happy to see a film where a kid actually dies.  Not only that, but within the first few minutes!  I know that sounds awful, but most every horror film you watch has the children survive.  It's an almost guarantee. 

My wife and I did get into an argument early on in the film.  The husband leaves the wife to die in the house after the "rage" attack.  My wife was calling the character a bastard and such and we got into a disagreement about his actions.  She said that his actions were selfish while I understood his actions 100%.  He told his wife not to let the child in the house.  He told her to leave the child upstairs while the child was hiding.  In a world that is infested with killers, you have to survive for yourself, not for others.  If she had listened and ran when he told her to, they would have both escaped unscathed and would have kept the infection of the resulting population from ever happening.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »

I just saw this one as well and have to agree it's miles above most of the other recent horror films of late. Aside from how quickly the infection acts, this is the most plausable cause of 'zombification' in any film (and yes, I know there are debates raging if the infected can be considered 'zombies' or not). 'The Kiss' let me know all bets were off, and this was not going to pan out in the usual by-the-numbers way. The sequence where the infection spreads rapidly through the locked-up crowd was abosolutely terrifying for me. Claustrophobia AND zombies! Jeesh!

This is a rare case where I prefer the sequel to the original.  I thought the original spent way too much time on the whole "Boy, aren't these guys jerks?" theme, and not enough time with hot zombie action! I'm sure the filmmakers were making a profound point, but couldn't they have made it just as effectively with more zombies chasing folks around?

If she had listened and ran when he told her to, they would have both escaped unscathed and would have kept the infection of the resulting population from ever happening.

One aspect of the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD that's rarely discussed is:
Mr. Cooper was right and Ben was wrong. They all would have been much safer in the basement.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:02:51 AM »

Very true about NOTLD Raffine.  Like you said, not many people ever discuss that and I wonder if it's because of the race of the two characters.  Scratch that, I'm sure that is the reason.

I loved 28 Days Later when it came out.  I felt it was a thoughtful and brutal new vision of a zombie attack.  That said, I also felt it was a bit talky and more of a drama than a horror film.

I like that 28 Weeks takes the same world from the original and works it into more of a conventional, actioner than a slow dialog film.  It still has the elements that worked in the original but uses them in a more entertaining way.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:32:15 PM »

Very true about NOTLD Raffine.  Like you said, not many people ever discuss that and I wonder if it's because of the race of the two characters.  Scratch that, I'm sure that is the reason.

I think it has far more to do with Cooper being an a***ole than any race issues.  No one wants to admit he was right.  In all honesty though, they could have easily simply moved everything upstairs and perfectly barricaded/destroyed the staircase and been fine.  I don't know why people don't do that in zombie siege movies.
Pilgermann

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 02:06:04 PM »

I think I'm in the minority 'cause I pretty much hated 28 Weeks Later.  The opening sequence was brilliant, but after that it was all s**t.  I remember feeling this sense of dread and tension all through 28 Days Later, but it was completely missing from this film.  It wasn't scary, the mistakes that were made in the governments secure compond were hilariously stupid, I didn't buy into the infected dad's pursuit of his children, the helicopter bit was over the top and kind of funny like in Planet Terror, and there are other little things that annoyed me.  I just don't see what's so good about it.  Oh well.

Raffine

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »

Like you said, not many people ever discuss that and I wonder if it's because of the race of the two characters.  Scratch that, I'm sure that is the reason.

I think it has far more to do with Cooper being an a***ole than any race issues.  No one wants to admit he was right.

Romero has always denied any racial content in the film and claims Duane Jones was cast as Ben simply because he gave the best audition. The film's script never mentions Ben is black. Who knows? What I found most interesting about it is, pretty breaking all horror movie rules up to (and for the most part, after) that  point in film history Our Hero is mistaken about the best survival plan, and The Villain (or The @$$hole, at best) is right.

I found a seven page discussion on this very topic on imdb and most seem to agree the best idea would have been:

...they could have easily simply moved everything upstairs and perfectly barricaded/destroyed the staircase and been fine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/board/flat/74511551?p=1

So cheers for surviving the zombies!  Thumbup

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 10:54:49 PM »

Just saw this tonight, and I have to say I was disappointed. A lot of cool action. A lot of interesting ideas. Ultimately, I just found it boring. That's saying a lot for a movie full of people getting picked off by snipers, eaten by zombies, mowed down by a helicopter and incinerated in a firebombing of downtown London.

The problem was that there wasn't much more to it than people running away. Running from the infected, running from the army. There was nothing to engage me. Once the action started, any idea of a plot went out the window. Not that it's always a bad thing, but to the degree it was done in this movie, I was starting to get impatient for them to either hurry up and escape or do something other than running from danger.

The army, which showed so much promise, turned out to be maddeningly stupid. They had a plan that was full of holes, and apparently no contingency planning whatsoever. Their security was likewise full of holes. And I kept asking the question if the majority of England is not safe, they're still gathering dead bodies, the threat of another outbreak is great enough to post snipers and plan to exterminate the population if necessary, then why the hell are they moving civilians in so soon? Why weren't the civilians briefed on procedures, such as a Code Red? Everybody just gets herded into one place, and nobody knows what's going on. Why didn't they have drills periodically? At least post signs telling people what to do.

The whole crisis came from people doing a lot of really dumb things. That's another reason I just couldn't get into this movie.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »

I watched this the other night and I loved it (but I suspected I would).  The music is really creepy and you just know something bad will happen when it starts.  I liked that it was fast paced and very believeable.  But I thought Robert Carlyle's character would know better than to swap spit with his missus regardless of the fact that she seemed okay.  Still, I guess that's what guilt can do to you.

I didn't like the son though.  I thought they could have cast a better child actor.  I mean, really, what's with the dicky hair style?  Does every male child actor have to have awful hair to be believeable.  (I suspect that's just my female perspective coming out   BounceGiggle  ).

I was really angry at those stupid kids for causing all the fuss, but I guess the plot had to advance somehow.  It would have been more heart wrenching if the infection spread because of an accident instead of a deliberate act of subersiveness.

As usual, the shocks keep coming with who dies and the suddeness of the deaths.  I"m always shocked when one of the characters die and how brutal and sudden the death is.

Spoilerness Alert:

At the end when the French were overrun by the infection, it must have been the boy who spread it, because the military pretty much killed everyone in District One.  What does everyone else think?  Am I right or is this one of those endings that is open to interpretation?

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Gwangi
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 10:29:16 PM »

I thought it was a pretty good film but being in the Army can really ruin a movie for you.  Naturally, many movies today have a negative view of the military so it doesn't surprise me that the Army would be pretty dumb.  The scariest thing about this movie is that it could actually happen.  Zombies that can run after me are a lot scarier than the plodding retarded zombies.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  28 WEEKS LATER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.