Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:15:17 AM
714336 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CARNIVAL OF SOULS is on TCM 2am tonight « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CARNIVAL OF SOULS is on TCM 2am tonight  (Read 4551 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: October 26, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »

CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) is on TCM 2am tonight; this is a "bad" film that rises to greatness and is damned good, in spite of its "bad"ness...  TeddyR
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:34:02 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »

Awesome. I love this movie and have yet to get it on DVD in some form due to all of the digital incarnations there have been of it. I believe that it's still a public domain title.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »

By far the best DVD version out there is Criterion's two-disc 'Special Edition'. It contains the restored original theatrical release, plus the rare original 'director's cut' which contains over ten minutes of long missing footage.

The most fascinating extra (for me, at least) was the extensive info on the film's location, the wonderfully weird tourist resort Saltair.

- DISC ONE: THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION
- New digital transfer of the original theatrical version
- The Movie That Wouldn’t Die! The Story of Carnival of Souls: a documentary on the 1989 reunion of the cast and crew
- More than 45 minutes of rare outtakes accompanied by Gene Moore’s organ score
- Theatrical trailer
- An illustrated history of the Saltair resort in Salt Lake City
- The Carnival Tour: a video update on the film’s locations
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

- DISC TWO: THE EXTENDED DIRECTOR’S CUT
- Selected audio commentary by screenwriter John Clifford and late director Herk Harvey
- One hour of excerpts from films made by the Centron Corporation, an industrial film company based in Lawrence, Kansas that employed Harvey and Clifford for over 30 years
- An essay on the history of Centron from Ken Smith’s Mental Hygiene
- Printed interviews with Harvey, Clifford, and star Candace Hilligoss, illustrated with vintage photos and memorabilia
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition

The bad news: the suggested retail price is $39.95, but it can probably be found out there for much, much less.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 09:28:29 AM »

It is indeed a public domain movie...Check it out here:

http://movies.magnify.net/item/KZGQ6NGLZRGG8N4W

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:09:14 PM »

It is indeed a public domain movie...Check it out here:
Thumbup Thanks Oldskool138
Raffine: I have that Criterion edition, and at least two others (at least one from the bargain bin) still watched the first 30 minutes last night before throwing in the towel.  It is interesting how a film's BADNESS becomes more apparent with each new viewing... and also, its GREATNESS.  Damn, CARNIVAL OF SOULS has some great shots, and where acting could be called "bad" it's perfect.  Strange, unique film. 
One of my favorite soundtracks, by GENE MOORE (whoever that is) I even LOVE "Carnival Rock":
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:17:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie at all.   It's a very good, even great,  movie with a cheap budget and some bad acting.  But the bad acting and gritty cinematography actually contributes to the discordant, otherworldly  atmosphere.  It wouldn't be nearly as memorable if the tarnish was polished off by Hollywood,  which is why I had no interest in seeing the remake.  CARNIVAL OF SOULS is perfect as it was made.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a bad movie at all.   It's a very good, even great,  movie with a cheap budget and some bad acting.  But the bad acting and gritty cinematography actually contributes to the discordant, otherworldly  atmosphere.  It wouldn't be nearly as memorable if the tarnish was polished off by Hollywood,  which is why I had no interest in seeing the remake.  CARNIVAL OF SOULS is perfect as it was made.   
Rev. Powell : Did you read what I wrote?  You echo my sentiments!  If there is criteria for a "bad" film, CARNIVAL OF SOULS may meet such criteria, however, your comments about "cinematography" and "tarnish" are right on (the so-called remake is no such thing and apparently is garbage, though I don't know not having looked at the thing for the same reason you cite...)  CARNIVAL OF SOULS, is an important film to me.  I have it at least 3 times over in my collection (vhs and dvd) and remember seeing it broadcast by CBS out of New York (channel 2) on weekend afternoons in the late 60s  I LOVE CARNIVAL OF SOULS... I also think the film shows Herk Harvey as the phantom too often, and too well.  But having looked at the film dozens of times, anything would get threadbare.  I certainly have a high opinion of it, despite its "badness" (like the dubbing - please note quotes used on that word, "bad").  Don't misunderstand me, as I wrote in the initial posting of this thread that the film may be "bad" but it's also GREAT ("great" in a GOOD way, as opposed to GOOD because it's bad...  Lookingup
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 05:38:13 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »

Yep, Allhallowsday, I agree with you 100%.  I didn't mean to imply differently, I just tried to say the same thing in different words.  It's one of my favorite movies as well, regardless of genre. 

CoS is exhibit A as to why the term "bad movies" can be misleading.  Some of the technical aspects are indeed "bad' but as a whole the movie is a far greater accomplishment than the mediocre crap Hollywood puts out.  It's not "bad" in the way PLAN 9 or ROBOT MONSTER is, and thankfully its not bad in the way that an uninspired Wayan's Brothers spoof is.  We need a whole new vocabulary of good and bad to describe the movies we love.  Let's say this one is "great-bad", while PLAN 9 is "good because it's bad" and the Wayan's Bros are "just plain bad", "actually bad," or "bad because its bad."       

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

Yep, Allhallowsday, I agree with you 100%.  I didn't mean to imply differently, I just tried to say the same thing in different words.  It's one of my favorite movies as well, regardless of genre. 

CoS is exhibit A as to why the term "bad movies" can be misleading.  Some of the technical aspects are indeed "bad' but as a whole the movie is a far greater accomplishment than the mediocre crap Hollywood puts out.  It's not "bad" in the way PLAN 9 or ROBOT MONSTER is, and thankfully its not bad in the way that an uninspired Wayan's Brothers spoof is.  We need a whole new vocabulary of good and bad to describe the movies we love.  Let's say this one is "great-bad", while PLAN 9 is "good because it's bad" and the Wayan's Bros are "just plain bad", "actually bad," or "bad because its bad."       
Apparently, we are kindred spirits.  As for Wayan's Bros pix, "just plain bad" is okay by me.    Thumbup 
Our own TORGO had challenged me some months ago about "good bad" movies versus "bad bad" movies and I point this out 'cause I like to give credit where it's due... Nonetheless, your point is not lost on me in any case.  COS would be for me GREATEST despite and possibly because of Bad...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CARNIVAL OF SOULS is on TCM 2am tonight « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.