Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:16:41 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Please recommend 2 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Please recommend 2  (Read 5001 times)
Arnold
New Visitor

I'll be back

« on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »

Hi there all.
I have the opportunity to buy 2 of the movies listed below. DVD’s in my country (South Africa ) are still very expensive and can run into the hundreds of rands. I’m still a student and unfortunately I can only afford 2 of these at the moment although I would love to get all 5 of them to add to my fledgling B-movie collection. Please recommend the 2 you guys think I should buy as I trust you more than the people on the IMDB.

Here we go.
1.   Clash of the Titans  (1981) starring Harry Hamlin.
2.   The 7 faces of Dr.Lao (1964) starring Tony Randall.
3.   Bride of the Monster (1955) starring Bela Lugosi .
4.   Hercules in the Haunted World ( 1961) starring Reg Park and Christopher Lee.
5.   Count Dracula and the Vampire Brides (1973) starring P.Cushing and C.Lee.

I have heard about most of them and I’m leaning toward no’s 2 and 3 at the moment.

Question for Trevor.
Were do or buy your DVD’s in SA???

Also something related to your post yesterday. http://inventorspot.com/articles/outer_space_underwear_fly_final__11029

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »

I can whole-heartedly recommend The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao. It is a wonderful movie filled with beautiful imagery and tremendous performances. It is definitely a GOOD movie. Clash of the Titans is pretty good; it's well done overall, though it looks a bit dated to me. Harryhausen's work is always nice to watch, so the movie is worth your time. As for Bride of the Monster, only buy that one if you are really into the poorly done, poorly acted style of movie; it is a BAD movie. Don't get me wrong; it is very entertaining, but it is truly an Ed Wood movie. I haven't seen the other two on your list, so I can't comment on them.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »

Here we go.
1.   Clash of the Titans  (1981) starring Harry Hamlin. - I saw this during its original theatrical run.  I thought it was mostly childish and dumb, so I can't recommend it.

2.   The 7 faces of Dr.Lao (1964) starring Tony Randall. - I have heard many good things about this, but I haven't seen it.

3.   Bride of the Monster (1955) starring Bela Lugosi . - Terrible and hilarious.  Highly recommended!

4.   Hercules in the Haunted World ( 1961) starring Reg Park and Christopher Lee. - I have this DVD, but I haven't watched it yet.

5.   Count Dracula and the Vampire Brides (1973) starring P.Cushing and C.Lee. - This has been released under several different titles and some versions are edited.  I have a version titled THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA, which is supposedly the most complete version available.  It is one of the bloodier movies in the Christopher Lee / Dracula series.  A lot of people don't seem to like this movie . . . but I do.

So, I guess I would recommend #3 and #5.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »

My picks would be Clash of the Titans and Bride of the Monster.

I like Clash of the Titans, because it was the first stopmotion movie I have seen as a kid, so I might be biased when I say it is the best of it's kind (in the fantasy genre).

Bride of the Monster is a Ed Wood classic. No need to say more. Love it or don't, either is fine.

Never seen The 7 faces of Dr.Lao, but I well might have to soon.

Personally Hercules movies don't work for me, and I don't like Christopher Lee as Dracula (Let the bashing begin!)

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

"Hercules in the Haunted World" is one of those films that might be fun with the right group of people, but it is rather boring if you are alone.  I do remember that some of the visuals were interesting.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »

My standard on limited-budget acquisitions is determined by the factor of which of these am I likely to watch again.  Given that standard:

7 Faces of Dr. Lao bears repeat viewing -- It is magical & timeless on many levels.  While essentially a film for children, it has more than enough to keep the adults interested, plus some wonderful stop-motion animation:  The Loch Ness Monster puts in a brief, yet poignant cameo.  Plus, the film answers the timeless question:  What can one do with leftover Morloch costumes from The Time Machine?
I'm not going to pick on anyone for not liking Christopher Lee -- Either you get him or not, sort of like artichokes.  I would say any film that teams Lee and Cushing can stand repeat viewing, and thus would get the Drac. one as well.  All the Hammer films have style and costuming and props that you can go back and enjoy even though you can recite the dialogue by now.
While Bride of The Monster I own and enjoy,  :bouncegiggle:I would not say that one could derive as much repeat-viewing pleasure from it as from the two I mention.  Of course, the taste factor rules quite a bit here . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »

The first two films are the best quality films named and BRIDE OF THE MONSTER is a must see for any B-movie fan (although there's no guarantee you won't want your money back afterwards).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »

Anyone on this board who knows me knows my answer: BRIDE of the MONSTER. One of the best movies ever made...ever- EVER. Lugosi and Tor and Ed Wood. Life gets no better.

Iv'e seen all the others you've listed....
.CLASH of the TITANS: Classic Ray Harryhausen...not as good as the SEVENTH VOYAGE of SINBAD or JASON and the ARGONAUTS...but,of course,what is?
.7 FACES of DR.LAO-Big fun...and a great family movie. Get some popcorn and the kids.
.DRACULA and HIS VAMPIRE BRIDES (aka) the SATANIC RITES of DRACULA-Don't waste yer money. Christopher Lee is merely a bit in this film. Lee as Drac....See HORROR of DRACULA, or even SCARS of DRACULA besides this drek.Don't get me wrong...Christopher Lee is one of the VERY BEST horror actors ever...and his contribution to film in general is remarkable. But  The this is just not a good showcase for him...or even a  good BAD film...just boring. Not enough of Dracula or horror...or...anything. A mish mash that goes nowhere. A sad finale to the Hammer Dracula series.
.HERCULES in the HAUNTED WORLD- If your into peplums... a good start...or finish. Not a big fan of them myself....but it's a fun flik.

Oh...did I mention that BRIDE of the MONSTER is the BEST film EVER MADE?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:48:13 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »

If I had to choose, I'd take "Clash of the Titans" and "The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao", from the others it's got to be "Bride of the Monster", Ed Wood is just, well if ever there was............he certainly is, and the movie is a lot of fun to watch.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »

Look into my eyes....deep...deeper...you will watch BRIDE of the MONSTER.

Small | Large

.....or you won't. whatever. It's a GREAT MOVIE either way!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:53:00 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »

I'm not going to pick on anyone for not liking Christopher Lee -- Either you get him or not, sort of like artichokes.  ...

That's funny, I also don't like artichokes...

Really funny is, I actually like Christopher Lee alot and he pairs exremely well with Peter Cushing. I would enjoy a crime/suspense Sherlock-Homes-esque movie with both of them immensely, especially in the settings mentioned in another thread (taverns, etc). It's just that the 70s style adaptions of the Dracula theme is not my cup of tea....

peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »

FRANK!! --
Hammer did "The Hound of The Baskervilles" with Lee and Cushing -- Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, and Lee as Henry Baskerville --
YOU MUST SEE THIS!!, especially per your last post --
peter lee/denny cushing

I have no idea what this means.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »

FRANK!! --
Hammer did "The Hound of The Baskervilles" with Lee and Cushing -- Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, and Lee as Henry Baskerville --
YOU MUST SEE THIS!!, especially per your last post --
peter lee/denny cushing

I definitely must. Although I'm not entirely sure if I haven't already and it creeps in the back of my mind ever since. Well, just one way to find out...

Sorry, I'll stop posting off topic stuff in here.

Arnold
New Visitor

I'll be back

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 03:05:04 AM »

Thanks everybody, as per your feedback I have decided to go for "The 7 faces of Dr.Lao" and "Bride of the Monster".I'm going to invite a couple of buddies and get a few six packs and enjoy them tonight.
Again thanks for the help guys...
 Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Please recommend 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.