Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:07:38 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 - In color! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Plan 9 - In color!  (Read 9404 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »

I think many are being a bit overly sensitive. It's not like they're taking away the B/W version, they're just putting out a colorized version of it, AS IF colorizing could POSSIBLY hurt that film. I'm betting the colorization brings out a completely new level of incompetence.

"People that don't watch B/W movies don't deserve them".

C'mon, that's a bit arrogant don't you say? It's no different than if someone said "Anyone that doesn't want to see everything in color doesn't deserve a television"

"If it was made in B/W than it was meant to be seen only in B/W."

And you speak for all writers/directors? Do you really believe EVERY B/W film would have still been made in B/W if color was a viable option at the time?

I'm amazed to see this level of elietism and arrogance here, I've never seen it before.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »

i guess i should have put a  BounceGiggle there or something after my "don't deserve it" comment, but hearing stupid little kids talk about how bad b/w movies are just because they are b/w gets on my nerves (i don't mean people here, just in "real" life).  but no, i don't say it's arrogant.

but i do believe it's true.  there's an art to shooting in b/w, and the colors are designed to make you see them properly.  things are lit differently as well.  Superman's colors in the b/w season and serials are gray and lighter gray, not the traditional colors.  so most of the time they aren't even crayonizing the movies to the colors used.

but you are right about not having to watch the colorized movies.  still, younger fans that don't watch old movies, color or not, aren't gonna suddenly say "i better watch Plan 9 now that it's in color", or 20,000,000 MILES TO EARTH or anything. just not gonna happen.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

i guess i should have put a  BounceGiggle there or something after my "don't deserve it" comment, but hearing stupid little kids talk about how bad b/w movies are just because they are b/w gets on my nerves (i don't mean people here, just in "real" life).  but no, i don't say it's arrogant.

People who think that b/w movies are boring or stupid because they are b/w have never seen Young Frankenstein.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
raj

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »

It's heresy, I say, heresy.

A good (or bad) b&w movie just has such a different feel to it, much like b&w photography.  Adding color to it just takes away the whole atmosphere, the subtle shadowing.  Could you imagine The Maltese Falcon or the Big Sleep in color?  Shudder.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

I agree with you partially Raj, but really, Plan 9 ain't no Maltese Falcon. I agree coloring a B/W film/picture CAN change things like the atmosphere, , but honestly, many movies don't have any in the first place. Sometimes that change is good, sometimes not, and for any given film, some will like the change, some will not. But, to lay a blanket statement regarding all B/W films is, well, arrogant, as if one is invalidating opposing opinions.

still, younger fans that don't watch old movies, color or not, aren't gonna suddenly say "i better watch Plan 9 now that it's in color", or 20,000,000 MILES TO EARTH or anything. just not gonna happen.

Of course some will be more likely to suit through a movie one way or the other. When I get the colorized version of Plan 9, I bet I'll watch it more than the B/W version. I'm just not seeing what "atmosphere" or "art" is going to be "covered" by colorizing it. 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »

In most cases, nothing is going to be subtracted by colorizing a B&W movie.  But I can't think of many cases where something will be added by colorization. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »

BHAH!! Something are just better left alone ... I don't like it when someone that was on the movie, didn't work on the movie sets down 50 years later at a computer and says ... "You know I think that shirt looks better blue than green." There is no way of knowing I don't believe of knowing what the exact colors were, it's someones opinion that had nothing to do with the movie originally.
Besides B/W gives it more of that dreamy feel than the realism of color. Leave something to the imagination.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 05:00:34 PM »

Cheeze, I had to give you karma because of that argument.  You made such of a point about one person's opinion literally changing the substance of a movie AND there is the fact that when a movie is in black and white, it allows the imagination to work a little more, I think that, that shirt is dark blue.  I think that it's dark green.  It doesn't matter it's the way I see it.  However, when colorized you see things in the color the film company made something to make it more visible.  Green smoke???  How incompetent!

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plan 9 - In color! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.