Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:46:33 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Heavyweights (1995) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heavyweights (1995)  (Read 3559 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« on: November 04, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »

Heavyweights is a 1995 comedy written by Judd Apatow and Steven Brill (Mighty Ducks fame), and starring Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, as well as Kenan Thompson of All That and Saturday Night Live.

Basically, it's about a fat camp for kids owned by Jerry and Anne, and they sell it to Ben Stiller's overzealous motivational speaker/fitness guru type character.  Basically, it's White Goodman from Dodgeball, only 10 years earlier and yelling at overweight kids.

I'd say it doesn't get much play when people talk about Stiller's best movies, as it's downright hilarious.  Both Stiller and Apatow are now enjoying much success in that whole 'Frat Pack' type of environment and anybody who enjoys those movies should check this out.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »

I remember liking this film when it originally came out.  I believe I caught it on Disney Channel or such only because I really liked The Ben Stiller Show way back in the early 90s.  At the time of this film I don't believe he had really done very many films.

I had no idea that Apatow had written the script.  I'll have to see about renting it and giving it another watch.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »

It was one of his first major roles in a movie.  He had done Reality Bites the year before.

But apparently, according to Wiki, he was in a Spielberg flick in '87 called Empire of the Sun with Christian Bale and John Malkovich.  But he wasn't a major character or anything apparently.

I liked the Ben Stiller Show as well.  Comedy Central showed a few episodes when the dvd's came out.  Good stuff.

I'm probably the only person who thinks he did a good job with The Cable Guy, but that's another thread.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:02 AM »

I saw bits and pieces of this movie various times on TV.  I though it was an ok film but that's it.
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »

I've always thought Heavyweights is really funny.  Ben Stiller practically played the same character again in Dodgeball.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Heavyweights (1995) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.