Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2016, 01:16:58 AM
563906 Posts in 43253 Topics by 5616 Members
Latest Member: ClemmieBla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116]
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 204719 times)
Trevor
South African Film Activist / Troublemaker
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1725 on: April 12, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »

Reading my bank statements: yikes...

Tom Servo: [coughs] “You know, halfway through the dinner, my fillet got up and beat the hell out of my coffee and the coffee was too weak to defend itself.”
FatFreddysCat
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »

Right now:
Tough Sh*t: Life Advice From a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

On deck:
Living Like a Runaway by Lita Ford

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1727 on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »

"It's the chilling story of a huge-breasted topless witch who slices open teenagers' wrists and tells them it's 'therapy.' This may be the finest performance of Al Lewis since... well, since he was Grandpa Munster."-Joe Bob on FRIGHT HOUSE
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1728 on: April 19, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »

Ye-es! I said I was going to do a half dozen non-mysteries, but . . .? as I seem to have gone on a historical fiction kick, I'll put those off to next time, and do Suzannah Dunn's "The Lady of Misrule." The lady being Lady Jane Grey, who was married at 16 in 1553, served 9 days as Queen of England, between the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I, and then was executed at 17 along with her teenage husband Lord Guildford Dudley in 1554.

Actually, little is known about her, and even less is known about him, and much that we thought we knew about them, now seems to be bogus.

Still what is known is fairly accurately described in this book.

That the dislike of him, and he is generally disliked, while his wife is mostly liked, which is strange, considering his age, makes little or no sense, as they were probably more alike than different.

Both were about the same age. Probably he was a year or two older than her. Though, the case can be made, that he was actually younger than his wife, or, as he is called in the book "a baby hubby."

Both were considered to be good looking, especially him, as he was considered one of the handsomest boys in England of that time. Maybe because he was the complete anti-thesis of his father and older brothers, who were all muscular dudes with dark hair and eyes and facial hair. While he was slim, blond, blue eyed, and clean shaven.

Both were set to marry others previously. She was set to marry Edward Seymour, the Duke of Somerset's son, and he was scheduled to marry Margaret Clifford, the Earl of Cumberland's son. Ironically, if they had married as originally planned, they both would have probably have lived a longer life.

It is especially interesting to know why the consent for him  to marry Margaret was denied by her father.

Both felt hurt by their spouse and left their spouse to return home to their parents.

He because she would not make him king, but only her consort, even if he had been promised that once married to his wife, he would then become king. That does not make him a mama's boy nor his mother's favorite, as some have suggested, as there is not proof of neither, but . . .?! It does raise questions about his intelligence.

She because he, in his inexperience, apparently hurt her, the first time he attempted to have sex with his wife. Which for some strange reason was sometime after their wedding. Of course, as the book states, if the experience was unpleasant for her. It was probably equally unpleasant for him.

Practice helps. Maybe because one or more of his older brothers, all of whom were married, took pity on him and took him aside and gave him the "sex talk," because she, apparently, came to enjoy their sexual coupling.

Both seemed to have gotten over their hurt, as they both returned to each other.

After they were both imprisoned in separate parts of the Tower of London, again as in the book, they often met while walking in the gardens of the Tower. Chaperoned, of course. As there was to be no more sexual coupling, because of the fear that she might become pregnant and produce a heir to the throne.

If her death was tragic and unnecessary, then his was equally so.

As both were not a threat to the monarchy.

Even though were both loyal to each other, he especially. For if he had walked away from his wife, had their marriage annulled, then he probably would have survived, but . . .?! since he stood by her, for reasons yet known, he was executed along with her.

And both were loyal to their Protestant religion, because neither seemingly converted to Catholicism or the religion of England at that time, unlike his father and her father-in-law who did convert to Catholicism, before he was executed.

An anomaly does exist. While not all men like him, Tennyson called him "that trivial boy" in one of his poems, men seem to like him better than most women, this writer being an exception. Mark Twain, who was a good judge of character, going so far to call him "that splendid stripling" in his "Prince and the Pauper."

Greater understanding? More empathy? Who can say?

Or, it might be as in the book, if we knew more about him and his real life, he'd come across as being a better person than his wife, who his favored by most writers, including most women writers.

And this book would make a good TV series or miniseries.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:12:55 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1729 on: April 20, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »

An addendum to the above.

One wishes that there was something called time travel, because one wishes that one could go back in time to talk to people we know so little about, such as him. Who, I think we'd find, was very much the typical upper class teenage male of the 16th century. And not only of the 16th century, but . . .?! with aspects we could understand in the 21st century. Teenage males have not changed that much in the past 500 years.

There are other aspects that aroused my interest, which I suppose is a sign of a well written book.

Consort
He has the unique position of being the 1st consort to rule England. Not the last, there'd be others, but . . .?! The 1st. And a poor lot they were. Even when regarded as being a joint pair (Ferdinand and Isabella, William and Mary, etc.) the distaff half is regarded as being the better half, but . . .?! That raises the question, why would a man supplant himself into an inferior position, in a time, when the male was regarded as being far superior to the female? I don't know whether I'll do anything with that, but . . .?! There are a couple of more topics I'm going to do something with.

Germany
Not only am I reading historical fiction set in 16th century England, I am also reading historical fiction set in 16th century Germany, or, the Germany as it exists today. And while they were much alike at that time, there were some notable differences, which we'll post here.

Wedding
The non-royal wedding of the decade. Everyone who was anyone (all of the 1%ers of that time) was there., for . . .

4 great ruling families
3 couples
2 days of merriment (no expense spared)
1 wedding, but . . .?!

What do you get a teen or tween (average age 14) who has never been married ere? And what'd you get them today?

I'll have to check that out and post it here. Though, the oldest of the couples, as they were old enough to drive, if barely, would probably get their own matching set of wheels, probably a convertible, each costing somewhere in the low 6 figures. I know other couples of such a big wedding have received their own completely furnished apartment somewhere in the world. Though, none of the couples were old enough, then or now, to live on their own. I don't know what living arrangements were made for the youngest couple that was married, but . . .?! the other 2 couples went to live with the groom's parents.

And 5 more historical novels on the same subject. Who knew their story was so popular. And maybe a 6th, though, this one is a little different than the others, as it is a novel for children. Which we'll report on, as I make my way thru a long backlog of books to report on. Though . . .

Next time: a half dozen of the other (non-mysteries) + 1

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1730 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »

This is the last book in the series, and I'm not really enjoying it as much as I did the first four; actually, the fourth one wasn't as good, either.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1731 on: April 30, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »

Ye-es!
and a half dozen of the other (non-mystery) + 1

J. P. Ahonen and K. P. Alare
Sing No Evil
translated from the Finnish
graphic novel

Duggan, Medra, and Baldeon
Nova Corpse
3rd in the Nova series

While the writing in the series is wildly uneven, it has become one of my favorite series in the Marvel Universe.

George O'Connor
The Olympians

v.1. Zeus -- v.2. Athena -- v.3. Hera -- v.4. Hades -- v.5. Poseidon -- v.6. Aphrodite

Having read v.2. and v.6. As of 2014 with 7 more volumes to come--supposedly--featuring the other gods in the Greek mythos.

Each volumes includes a family tree -- a bibliography -- brief biographies of minor characters in the myths -- discussion questions. Thus, a good introduction to the ancient Greek gods and myths, even if the writer plays down the sex and violence inherent in some of the myths.

Brubaker and McNiven
Captain America
graphic novel

Cornell and Brooks
Dark Reign
in the Young Avengers series

Abrett and Canning
Guardians of the Galaxy
v.2. War of the Kings

Another favorite series in the Marvel Universe

Susan Casey
Voices in the Ocean :
a Journey into the Wild and Haunting World of Dolphins
a Canadian ex-pat
an award winner
2 more non-fiction

They just want to be our friends and we . . .
run over them-both accidentally and deliberately -- shoot them -- poison them -- gaff them -- beat them -- stab them -- and garrote them.

And they fight back by . . .
tooth raking -- jaw clapping -- tail lashing -- head butting -- biting and high speed chasing.

If the writer stands back and just reports what she sees, then it is powerful stuff. Unfortunately, she seems to cater to a double standard. One for people whom she likes, and one for people whom she dislikes.

Next time: a historical novel, while they are still fresh in my mind, and then a compare and contrast.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.