Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:31:34 AM
714262 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What Video Games Are You Playing? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 133
Author Topic: What Video Games Are You Playing?  (Read 825378 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1140 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:24 AM »

Well, like always, I'm waaay behind on all the interactive entertainment.  I don't have a computer anymore, but I recently acquired a PS2 my niece was kind enough to loan me, so I've been playing that a lot lately.  (Before that I was strictly a old school PC gamer nut, mainly cause I couldn't afford a newer PC to play the latest stuff.)  Course, the upside to all this is I can play all kinds of awesome games that are usually $10!

Except of course for some games that I've got an interest that are still going for $20, 30, sometimes even 40(!) dollars.  I guess it's a combination of them being rare and cult favs or something, I don't know.  (For example, any of the games related to the Persona series.)

Anyway, right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 12, which is pretty neat.  Been at it for about six hours of game time, so that means I've probably gotten through about .05 percent of it.

Elsewhere, I'm also going through The Suffering, a horror game where you play a guy who's on Death Row when suddenly a bunch of monsters invade the prison and start killing everything that moves.  I wonder though if anyone, while playing, has counted up the number of dead guard corpses.  Get this weird feeling that even for a prison that size, there guard prisoner ratio must be like 40:1 or so... :)

Recently finished Devil May Cry 1.  Awesome game, can't say enough about it.  The graphics are really great even though (I think) it's one of the older PS2 games.  Only nitpick though I have storywise is in a climatic part of the game (MILD SPOILERS) Trish turns out to be working for the bad guy (END SPOILERS).  And this somehow comes as a SURPRISE to Dante.  Wait, this is the same girl who IMPALED YOU with your OWN sword when you guys first met, has been mysteriously absent throughout most of the game, and that you've known for all of what, a few hours, maybe?  And you're SURPRISED by this?  Man, Dante, you're not too bright.

So, yeah, that's what I've been doing. 

Anyone have any PS2 recommendations? 

I remember picking up a copy of Seven Samurai [2000? Well it was some number after in any case] which was basically a 'remake' of Seven Samurai but set in the future with robots.  It was surprisingly fun and the gameplay reminded me somewhat of Devil May Cry [Slash and dash style].  The interesting part was the fact that it was an officially licensed game, as in Kurosawa's estate approved it.

I always found those odd games to be kinda intriguing and sometimes quite fun, and because they're relatively oddball they're usually pretty cheap.

As for an actual recommendation, you should check out 'The Warriors' which was a pretty incredible game, especially if you liked the movie.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1141 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

Not Safe For Work

Small | Large

April 24th boys and girls!  Well, mostly boys I'm guessing.   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1142 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

Not Safe For Work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9aGpWC4ns

April 24th boys and girls!  Well, mostly boys I'm guessing.   Smile

That looks so stupid that it is awesome.  The right type of game us bad movie fans like House of the Dead: Overkill!

So not safe for work:
Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1143 on: January 24, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »

I've got three games I've been playing.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS). I love the Professor Layton series. For those not familiar with the series, the games are basically just a bunch of brainteaser type puzzles with a story attached. With puzzles, I'm like a vampire with a pile of salt. I won't be able to leave until I've solved them. I just beat the game, and now just have to go back and solve the few remaining puzzles and the extras. I will say this game, the fourth, has the most satisfactory resolution so far.

I'm also playing L.A. Noire (360). First off, the open-world recreation of '40s L.A. is spectacular. Unfortunately, the gameplay they attached to it is very linear, and you rarely get the chance to go out and enjoy it. I really like it, the story is very compelling, but the structure of the gameplay is pretty flawed. The game is good, but it's a step down from Red Dead Redemption, which swallowed my life whole. It doesn't help that I find the protagonist Cole Phelps singularly unlikable. That being said, the new facial recreation software is amazing. The range of actors they got to play in this thing is incredible. Every "case" has got character actors who are instantly recognizable. A great, flawed game.

I've also been playing Dance Central 2 (360), since I picked up a Kinect over Christmas. Basically you mirror the dance moves of the avatar in front of you. I like it a lot, but I've always liked dancing. What I have found, is that I don't care about mirroring dance moves, because I don't care about dance. What I do love is jumping around, and this game lets me do that when it gets difficult. It's fun, and I think it will be great the next time I decide to throw a party.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Couchtr26

« Reply #1144 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »

Anyone have any PS2 recommendations? 

Depends quite a bit on what tickles your fancy.

If you are looking for horror there are quite a few such as The Suffering and its sequel The Ties That Bind.  I played it more on the original X-Box.  You could also try out Silent Hill 2, it is a bit on the pricier side.  There is often times a general feeling of unease in Silent Hill and 2 captures it quite well.  Siren is also great to try there is a little bit of a interesting dynamic that allows you to see through the enemy's eyes.  Helps to plot out your ideas.  Kuon is another one.  It is set in Japan prior to the 1800's.  Sorry can't specify year as I can't remember.  You play two separate characters in your play through where the stories intersect.  Basic running from Japanese style ghosts.  Interesting to say the least.  Fatal Frame series is also fun to check out.  Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly will probably be easier to find.  They are also on the premium price side.

If you are looking for something similar to Devil May Cry.  Try anyone of the Onimushas (Onimusha Warlords, Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny or Onimusha 3: Demon Siege) there are horror elements with demons and a samurai but as you fight to stop a demon Nobunaga from taking over you are much more active and some puzzle solving elements.  Onimusha 3 even features a playable Jean Reno sort of as it involves time travel and besides the main character from one you play a French detective who looks like and is voice by Jean Reno.  Also in the beat em up style genre is God of War or God of War 2.  If you like a slightly corrupted Greek Mythology it is worth a look most assuredly.  However, I prefer the first.  Nothing better then watching as your character throws himself to his death learning the reasons only after you have played through the game.  Though not an overly complicated story arc once you find the end. 

I was never on RPGs on the PS 2.  I had a certain tired nature to most of the JRPGs it offered and was mostly on Morrowind on the Xbox.

There is also Metal Gear Solid 2: The Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, if you are looking for stealth shooters. 

If you are looking for a platformer, Ratchet and Clank is always a good choice.  Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and Ratchtet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal continue similarly with a few improvements.  Though personally, I preferred Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked it strays from its predecessors and is usually not recommended as much by fans of the series.  Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones is also worth a look.  Castlevania: Lament of Innocence is also worth a look as we are speaking on similarities. 

If you are looking for the way different.  Katamari Damacy is one that is usually suggested though I never got much into it.  You can also try Jaws Unleashed nothing like playing a shark.  The Warriors is also available and I think somehow appropriate to the site.  Destroy All Humans also works with the site very 50's sci fi from the aliens point of view.  Plus you can't miss the description of the main character about the humans taking a spaceship "Monkeys probably hitched it to their donkey cart and hauled it off to their mud village." 

Fighting games are also worth checking out with Tekken 4 and Soul Calibur 3

Flight Sims are not the best but Ace Combat 5 is worth a look.

If you are looking for fps, there are quite a few military shooters.  Any of the Tom Clancy, Socom or Medal of Honor (WWII on those Medal of Honors).  However, on that subject I would actually probably pick Star Wars: Battlefronts 1 or 2 will work and are quite fun.  I actually miss playing them quite a bit.  Quite a bit like Battlefield series with controlled objectives and limited tickets.  The AI is actually fairly decent for the computer as well. 

Another one that is interesting and set in the West Red Dead Revolver which I actually preferred on the PS 2 as the Xbox controls weren't too intuitive.  It is third person and nicely done.  You may also want to check out a GTA as they were popular.  Most would probably suggest San Andreas, but if I were taking that route I'd say Vice City.  The 80's feel is a nice familiarity and such.  However, I can understand if they don't interest you as they didn't particularly appeal to me either.

Sorry to give so many and yet leave some out at the same time.  Trying to remember the PS 2 library is somewhat hard as I don't currently play many of the games and the numbers are vast.  I think they only stopped making new games in 2009 or 2010.  Most of the later titles are scaled down versions of PS 3 games or are sort of budget, I would be cautious without reading a bit more on them.  However, there are many solid titles just hard to think without more specifics.  Plus many are coming back into light with game compilations on the PS 3 (Jak and Daxter series, Metal Gear Solid collection, and Sly Cooper collection). 

I probably missed something that may have interested you or may have missed the mark but I hope it helps out some with your searches. 

I'm also playing L.A. Noire (360). First off, the open-world recreation of '40s L.A. is spectacular. Unfortunately, the gameplay they attached to it is very linear, and you rarely get the chance to go out and enjoy it. I really like it, the story is very compelling, but the structure of the gameplay is pretty flawed. The game is good, but it's a step down from Red Dead Redemption, which swallowed my life whole. It doesn't help that I find the protagonist Cole Phelps singularly unlikable. That being said, the new facial recreation software is amazing. The range of actors they got to play in this thing is incredible. Every "case" has got character actors who are instantly recognizable. A great, flawed game.

I enjoy the recreation and feel in LA Noire but find it lackluster and I think as  you stated is my lack of identifying with Cole.  He seems stiff and very by the books robotic.  I definitely enjoyed Red Dead Redemtion more as a couldn't put it down and completed everything in about a week.  Also, remember my rear hurting from sitting so long. 

Ah, the good old days.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1145 on: January 24, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS). I love the Professor Layton series. For those not familiar with the series, the games are basically just a bunch of brainteaser type puzzles with a story attached. With puzzles, I'm like a vampire with a pile of salt. I won't be able to leave until I've solved them. I just beat the game, and now just have to go back and solve the few remaining puzzles and the extras. I will say this game, the fourth, has the most satisfactory resolution so far.

Professor Layton is a fun series.  Out of curiousity, are you interested in Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney?  I love the Ace Attorney series so I'm quite up to playing that game when it arrives in stores.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #1146 on: January 29, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »

Professor Layton is a fun series.  Out of curiousity, are you interested in Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney?  I love the Ace Attorney series so I'm quite up to playing that game when it arrives in stores.

If it's got Layton and puzzles, I'll play it. The only Ace Attorney-type game I've played was the Harvey Birdman game, which was amusing. I figure I would enjoy the Ace Attorney games, I've just never played them.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

Got the platinum for Shift 2 Unleashed

Not the easiest platinum, six of those trophies have a difficulty rating of "near impossible"   BounceGiggle

Now maybe I can get back to watching some movies   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
akiratubo

« Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

A young man wakes up in a forboding castle, unable to remember anything save his name: Daniel.  As he explores the castle, he finds notes (some of them written by himself) that shed light on the situation.  He also encounters monsters ... and he himself may actually be the worst of them all.

This game is great fun.  I have literally no complaints.  The atmosphere is perfectly realized and fully immersive, the player character controls extremely well, and the scary parts really are scary.  The simple fact that you have no way to defend yourself makes for what is easily the most intense gaming experience I've had in years, possibly decades.  Hiding sometimes isn't even enough, because your sanity will decrease in dangerous situations and you will freak out and alert bad things to your presence if it drops too low.  Some might complain that the game is too easy.  Well, those people can go play, I don't know, whatever is considered a hard game these days.  Others may complain that certain story revelations make the player character unsympathetic.  Well, guess what?  If you hate him, the storyline gives you at least a couple of opportunities to let him get what he deserves.  I don't just mean that you can stand around and let a monster kill him, there are bad ends for him written into the story, and you are free to trigger them if you wish to legitimately end the game.  And, even the "happiest" of the endings is still very uncertain for our hero.  Let's just say that he seems to believe he's escaped something inescapable but there's no sure indication that he truly has.  (Compare this to, say, Dead Island, which presented you with the illusion of choices but gave you the same outcome no matter what you did.)

This truly is one of the best video games I've ever played.  A solid, unqualified success.

There is also an official add-on called Justine and tons of user-generated content (of various quality).

Here is a complete play through of Justine, the official add-on:

Small | Large

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

A young man wakes up in a forboding castle, unable to remember anything save his name: Daniel.  As he explores the castle, he finds notes (some of them written by himself) that shed light on the situation.  He also encounters monsters ... and he himself may actually be the worst of them all.

This game is great fun.  I have literally no complaints.  The atmosphere is perfectly realized and fully immersive, the player character controls extremely well, and the scary parts really are scary.  The simple fact that you have no way to defend yourself makes for what is easily the most intense gaming experience I've had in years, possibly decades.  Hiding sometimes isn't even enough, because your sanity will decrease in dangerous situations and you will freak out and alert bad things to your presence if it drops too low.  Some might complain that the game is too easy.  Well, those people can go play, I don't know, whatever is considered a hard game these days.  Others may complain that certain story revelations make the player character unsympathetic.  Well, guess what?  If you hate him, the storyline gives you at least a couple of opportunities to let him get what he deserves.  I don't just mean that you can stand around and let a monster kill him, there are bad ends for him written into the story, and you are free to trigger them if you wish to legitimately end the game.  And, even the "happiest" of the endings is still very uncertain for our hero.  Let's just say that he seems to believe he's escaped something inescapable but there's no sure indication that he truly has.  (Compare this to, say, Dead Island, which presented you with the illusion of choices but gave you the same outcome no matter what you did.)

This truly is one of the best video games I've ever played.  A solid, unqualified success.

There is also an official add-on called Justine and tons of user-generated content (of various quality).

Here is a complete play through of Justine, the official add-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5T8BHS9Kg

If you liked that game, allow me to recommend a couple of cool user-generated content maps for the game: Snowed In (It's currently in its demo stage, but it is available and it must be played), The Attic Chapter 1 & 2, Unforgiven Memories, White Night, and The Machine.

Here's a fun Let's player, ChaoticMonki, who tackles a lot of the user generated maps for Amnesia.  However, he is a bit silly and isn't easily scared.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChaoticMonki#

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1150 on: January 31, 2012, 04:18:33 AM »

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Cthulhu

« Reply #1151 on: February 10, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »

Just started Skyrim. I'm playing a sneak and archery focused Dark Elf.

A feeling of nerdiness rushed through me as I typed the above sentence.
Couchtr26

« Reply #1152 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »

Started playing Demon's Souls and Alice: Madness Returns.

I'm enjoying Demon's Souls.  It is a bit odd at first.  It seems to lack direction when you start out and doesn't seem exceedingly difficult though things change quickly in no time.  However, after a bit of playing around it settles in and becomes a much more enjoyable game overall.

Alice is well Alice.  It is not going to reinvent the wheel, however, it is an enjoyable romp so far and I enjoy corrupted visuals and such.

Also, have done a bit of Heavy Rain.  It seems to work best as a game you don't really play but just experience.

Ah, the good old days.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1153 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »

My kids (age 9 and 4) have re-discovered my old Sega Genesis system so they've been having a ball playing some of the oldies like Sonic the Hedgehog and Bubsy. For Christmas my wife found an online shop that had lotsa used Genesis games dirt cheap and ordered us a bunch of new ones - "Tom & Jerry: Frantic Antics," "Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition," "Batman Forever," and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

The kids really seem to dig an old "Looney Tunes" cartridge called "Escape From Mars" (starring the Tasmanian Devil) that I never played much back in the day cuz I could never get the hang of it, so we're trying to figure that one out together at the moment.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #1154 on: February 17, 2012, 05:18:27 AM »

I'm back in the throes of my love affair with Assassin's Creed. My friend recently received a copy of Brotherhood along with his spanking new 360 from his wife as a Christmas present. Not having the current generation of consoles, he hadn't played the first two games, so I traded those with him and am now making my way through the third game.

I really love these games, even with all their flaws. Brotherhood introduced a new game mechanic where "100% synchronization" involves completing the task with various restrictions. I get the idea, but the designers occasionally make it very obnoxious, setting up easy-fail situations that drop you out of full synchronization 30 minutes into the mission. Frustrating, and it drops me right out of enjoyment of the game. And let's not forget the ridiculous collect-a-thon aspects of the game.

But they are great games. I even checked out a book on the Borgias from the library just to explore the world they're created a little more.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 133
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What Video Games Are You Playing? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.