Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:15:37 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Looking for assistance with the 70s « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking for assistance with the 70s  (Read 3644 times)
Menaaard!!!
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »

Well...perhaps it's karma...or just plain insanity...that we have a thread running at the same time I am beginning to work on a website dedicated to the 70s.

My first step in doing this is determining categories.

Categories which seem to stand out are (in no particular order):

Movies
Music
Television
Fads
Gadgets
Events
Fashion (I'm questioning whether I want to include this or not)

The categories are pretty self explanatory and there would naturally be crossover between some of them such as Sonny and Cher would be Music and Television, as well CB Radio would be Fads and Gadgets.

The script I will need for this should have a tagging system where, rather than submitting entries to a specific category, the entries are category independent and tagged for all categories they will fit so that when someone looks at a category any articles tagged for that category will display.

The categories are pretty much off the top of my head and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for something they feel should be a category which I may be missing?

Another thing I am considering is a cartoon host for the different categories (a fixed image...nothing animated).

For the movies, I am considering a character based on Pam Grier (like you wouldn't have guessed anyway...and she's mine, RC ).

For the gadget guy, I am considering someone along the lines of the way truckers were presented in some of the CB fad stuff: heavy unshaven guy with his belly hanging out of an obviously too short t-shirt, with a stogie sticking out of his mouth.

Any suggestions for other category hosts you think would be fitting for that particular category?
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

Small | Large

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »

Maybe comics? Vampirella,Swamp Thing,Conan the Barbarian,Luke Cage-the Powerman,Devil Dinosaur,Godzilla ( I recall Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. was always ater him!),Marvel's Dracula series,Red Sonja,Kamandi-the Last Boy on Earth...all got there start in the seventies.

I like the idea of a seventies website! I would clik on!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »

I would also consider adding a category for News and Events of the era. Lots of things happen during that time. Just relating to events of the era in the US, the Vietnam War ended, gas shortages, 2 assassination attempts on President Ford, Watergate, Iran Hostage Crisis, and the Jonestown Massacre which was the largest single event to kill US citizens lives to a non-natural event until September 11th, 2001.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

Hair, including sideburns & facial hair. It's instantly recognizable.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »

I would also consider adding a category for News and Events of the era. Lots of things happen during that time. Just relating to events of the era in the US, the Vietnam War ended, gas shortages, 2 assassination attempts on President Ford, Watergate, Iran Hostage Crisis, and the Jonestown Massacre which was the largest single event to kill US citizens lives to a non-natural event until September 11th, 2001.

I guess the category Events doesn't fit with that? Question

Hair, including sideburns & facial hair. It's instantly recognizable.

Interesting. At first, the subject didn't appeal to me, but then it does make sense as hair styles and length do have their time periods; especially notable was hair in the 70s (in more ways than one). Would there be enough to make a category out of it, or would putting it with Fashion be fitting? Or, would it make more sense to have a Style category?

Maybe comics? Vampirella,Swamp Thing,Conan the Barbarian,Luke Cage-the Powerman,Devil Dinosaur,Godzilla ( I recall Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. was always ater him!),Marvel's Dracula series,Red Sonja,Kamandi-the Last Boy on Earth...all got there start in the seventies.

I like the idea of a seventies website! I would clik on!  Thumbup

Although comics, I would think, would be too narrow for a category, you do make a good point about magazines and media; comics included. Would a separate category, perhaps called Newsstand be appropriate?

I was particularly fond of the Warren magazines, and, of course, Playboy in the 70s (good god...what one of those magazines could do to a kid/teenager at the time...oh to be 35 years younger again).
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 05:00:37 PM »

Toys. There were a lot  of unusual and non-PC toys in the 70's.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

Any suggestions for other category hosts you think would be fitting for that particular category?
maybe a Disco Stu-esque looking character for 'Music'? might look a bit corny tho...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »

Toys. There were a lot  of unusual and non-PC toys in the 70's.

That is definitely a consideration, and good recommendation.

maybe a Disco Stu-esque looking character for 'Music'? might look a bit corny tho...

I must have spent too much time smoking weed in the 70s. I don't get it. What is a Disco Stu-esque?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

Disco Stu. its a Simpsons character

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »

I guess the category Events doesn't fit with that? Question
I must of missed the word Events in your list when I read your post. Joys of a stroke ravished brain coupled with lack of sleep. I miss things like that at times.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:50:41 PM »

Oh dear god...the Bay City Rollers had their own show?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:21:35 AM »

Newstand has a nice nostalgic sound to it!

Along with the WARREN mags...which were great! -there were the Skywald Pub. line of mags...not as good as far as writing and art went...but they had some great covers. Among the titles were SCREAM,NIGHTMARE and PSYCHO.

...and Eerie Publications had their line of outrageous horror mags....!

BounceGiggle...dam! A Frankenstien?Vampire tearung the clothes off of a woman covered in giant yellow spiders...!

'Course you had the various MAD rip-offs,like SICK,CRAZY,CRAKED;tons of horror movie mags,true detective mags,and lotsa men's mags....HUSTLER comes to mind...(my Dad had a stack of 'em hidden not-too-well in his workbench in the basement...! Twirling) along with EASYRIDER,CHERI,OUI and HIGH SOCIETY.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:36:24 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Looking for assistance with the 70s « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.