Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:39:31 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Trailer for 'Wanted'... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trailer for 'Wanted'...  (Read 3554 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« on: November 01, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »

So, I couldn't go to MySpace or IMDB today without banners for this butt nugget being thrown into my face (even as I type this, the banner on the right of the forum is pointing at me and laughing at me for bringing it up), and I eventually gave in and checked out the trailer, which is right here if you're curious.

This flick is based on an independently published comic mini-series of the same name that came out over the course of, I believe, 2004 and 2005. It was irritating as hell because it took something like 18 months to put out a six-issue mini-series. Anyway, despite the childish  extremes to which the "titties and guns and bad words" execution was taken, the concept of the book was the sole part that made it interesting: a worthless twenty-something (who looked like Eminem) is approached by a Catwoman rip-off (who looked like Hallie Barrie) who tells him that his father (who looked kinda like Jon Voight), a killer with the uncanny ability to hit every target he shoots at, was just killed. Now, she wants pseudo Eminem to join her and replace his father amidst the pantheon of super-villains who secretly control the world after killing off all of the planet's superheroes a decade earlier. A class struggle breaks out and the villains get involved in a big civil war that leaves many a brain splattered on the walls.

Here is where the problem lies: because 90% of the characters used in the original comic were parodies of popular comic characters from both Marvel and DC Comics, it's almost impossible to bring these villains faithfully to the screen without invoking a hundred different lawsuits. So, instead of passing on the property, Universal instead opted to throw a bunch of money at Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman, grab the white guy from The Last King of Scotland, and go ahead with the movie anyway, with the following change: the secret organization of super-villains is now a secret organization of super powered assassins who fulfill some kind of holy contracts with a higher power to kill people... they aren't bad guys living the good life and controlling the world, they don't plunder alternate dimensions and revel in the murder of costumed heroes... they're assassins. And apparently our hero isn't just going to accept his new role as Junior Assassin, he's also going to "find the hero inside" somehow... oye.

Again, if you wanted to make this movie, why bother with the "Wanted" title at all? The audience they're trying to appeal to (comic geeks who actually read and still remember the mini-series) are already going to crucify the damn thing once they realize that the entire point of the book has been white washed and sanitized and spat out as a whole other monster. Once you've alienated the comic geeks, you're trying to appeal to everyone else, so why not drop the "Wanted" connection all together, avoid having to pay royalties to the owners of the book's copyrights, and just make enough changes in the movie (title included) that your high priced lawyers can talk your way out of any problems you might have? Bah. This is almost the equivalent to comic book movies what Super Mario Bros. was to video game flicks...

Granted, I'll see it when it comes out on DVD to see if it manages to not suck, so I'm giving it free reign to exist as a movie before I actually see it, but the bastardizing of the story into something completely different is just irksome... bah.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »

Knowing nothing at all about the comic, I thought the trailer made the movie look pretty cool.

Then again, it plays like a total MATRIX ripoff -- with the Last King of Scotland subbing for Keanu, Morgan Freeman subbing for Lawrence Fishburne and Angelina Jolie subbing for Carrie-Anne Moss. 

The one major thing in its favor IMO is that it is directed by Russian filmmaker Timur Bekmambetov of NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH fame.  Both of which were very enjoyable IMO.  Still I'll probably wait for the word on the street before I slap down $10.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »

Actually looks like a lot of fun to me.  I'm not a big comic book guy and actually haven't read one in a while.  I think the last graphic novel I picked up was A History Of Violence if that tells you anything.

The original idea sounds great, but this also sounds good in a "been there, seen that" type of thing.  Sure it's what we've seen before but it looks like it might be able to add something to the mix.

I also like McAvoy for some reason.  At the moment, aside from Peter Dinklage, he is my favorite short person in the business. TeddyR

As Gerry said, I'll wait and see what the word is before going to the theater and seeing it.  Thanks for bringing the trailer to our attention though Anubis.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Trailer for 'Wanted'... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.