Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:00:15 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Latitude Zero « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latitude Zero  (Read 12417 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 12, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »

Toho's version of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."  Underwater homing missiles, lasers, surgically-created monsters, and Cesar Romero as the nefarious Dr. Malic make this a fun film.  Whoever thought up the giant, flying lion with the brain of an Asian woman deserves an award.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »

this is a fun movie, and who would ever have thought we'd have a great DVD presentation?  the second disc- the Japanese version- is pretty useless, but nice to have anyway.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
George
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »

The thing that can be said about Latitude Zero,is it's kind of a follow up to Atragon,(when will that ever be up for review?).
In the summer of 1969,Fuji,(remember our Emma Peelson of Japan from Ultraman).
Oh I mean Fuji,the largest scientific ship in Japan has been sent to Cromwell Combind to see if  ocean currents can make submarines go faster.
Well our 3 heroes go down in the yellow bathysphere to find out,unfortunately,(there seem to be a whole of unfortunates in these Japanese films don't there),an underwater volcano erupts,and it looks like the 3 are going to die in a yellow bathysphere,only later to wake up and see that they are saved by a certain Capt.McKenzie,(Joseph Cotton),and are taken to an underwater utopia called Latitude Zero,where missing scientist are doing lots of good stuff to benefit us all!.
Oh again,yes again,unfortunately there's an evil genius at large,none other than The Clown Prince of Crime Himself,The Joker,or here known as Dr.Malic(Cesar Romero),(Ironically Malic happened to a name of one the Dorcons in the last Maya Space:1999 episode).
Seems he and his woman friend Lickerish(Cottons wife Patricia Medina),want to either conquer LZ or destroy it.
The pair kindnap a certain doctor who's developed an anti-radiation serum,naturally he refuses to tell Malic about,and here we see that's he's able to turn people into flying lions,huge rats,and even,of all the Unholy Things Batman!,Batmen!.
Oh I suppose for the want of getting Adam West Burt Ward & Yvonne Craig on the operating table!.
We can't Malic go on so our heroes re board the Alpha and head for Blood Rock to finally put an end to Malics mad plans of world domination.
All sorts of things happen,a game of chess with submarines using homing torpedoes and death rays,run ins with giant rats acid pools,and of course a real batfight,but where were the bat graphics,(you know POW!,WHAP!,PAP,ZAP!).
Oh before that Malic turned his henchwoman into a flying lion to get them,but she just sat on top of old Smokey and watched it all,oh and during the fight Malic accidentally kills his girl,she dissolves.
Then the final battle,Malic traps the Alpha with a magnetic force,but like Atragon,Alpha can fly too!,as Malic shoots wildly at the sub,all the sudden that lion flys into action and gets Malic and the Blackshark,Malic forgot to turn off the force,and his sub got caught in it,so once again we see Hayatta as yet another henchmen,(why is he always a badguy,I think Ultraman needs to have talk with him),telling Malic they're being pulled to land.
Malic doesn't want to be bothered,however the lion has other ideas,and so the ancient art of blowing up the models at the end of yet another Japanese sci-fi,we are not dissappointed!.
After all said and done Perry Lawton,wants to go back,and why not,with diamonds and a story,he'll be on easy street,however,life on easy street ain't as easy as Sesame Street.
They send him up to be rescued by a navy ship sent to observe the splash down of a capsule,aboard he meets someone who looks like Craig McKenzie,but he's not.
And of course no believes his story,he has no diamonds,and the film is ruined,convinced he's nuts they ask the coremen,who looks alot like Malic,but with a different mustache to take him to sick bay.
If Dr.Ann Barton's there,I suppose I wouldn't mind binging in sick bay either!,meantime the ships radio tells this Capt.McKenzie $6000s worth of diamonds are waiting for Lawton at a NY bank,then they begin to wonder if maybe there might be something to this Latitude Zero business after all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:09:52 PM by Andrew » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »

Thanks for the review, Andrew  Thumbup.

Joseph Cotten talks about this film over an entire chapter in his autobiography, detailing the US producer Don Sharpe's money hassles and that the cast, to preserve face for Toho, agreed to finish the film for nothing provided that the studio took care of all their living expenses etc.

While Jo Cotten and his wife Patricia were visiting a renowned Japanese actor who was also a fine gardener, the actor said that he wasn't happy with the new fertilizers and preferred what he called "the good old natural s**ts"."  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »

Richard Jaeckel of  The Green Slime fame and Toho legend Akira Takarada, also known as the love rival of Dr. Serizawa in Godzilla:King Of The Monsters.

Takarada also was in a war movie with Frank Sinatra, where Sinatra was training Takarada's anti-Japanese freedom fighters, a regiment of Hawaiian-Japanese soldiers known as "butterheads".  He spoke his own English quite well!

Another English-speaking Japanese actor who played in Latitude Zero was Masumi Okada, better known as the father of the boy Mikko in the Space Giants TV series.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Latitude Zero « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.