Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:56 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2008 Presidential Candidates « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which 2008 Presidential Candidate do you think is best?
Joe Biden - 0 (0%)
Hillary Rodham Clinton - 2 (9.1%)
Chris Dodd - 0 (0%)
John Edwards - 0 (0%)
Rudolph Giuliani - 2 (9.1%)
Mike Gravel - 1 (4.5%)
Mike Huckabee - 0 (0%)
Duncan Hunter - 0 (0%)
Alan Keyes - 0 (0%)
Dennis Kucinich - 0 (0%)
John McCain - 0 (0%)
Barack Obama - 2 (9.1%)
Ron Paul - 1 (4.5%)
Bill Richardson - 0 (0%)
Mitt Romney - 2 (9.1%)
Tom Tancredo - 0 (0%)
Fred Thompson - 2 (9.1%)
None Of The Above - 1 (4.5%)
We Need A New Election Process - 2 (9.1%)
Christopher Walken - 1 (4.5%)
General Zod - 0 (0%)
Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1 (4.5%)
Al Gore - 0 (0%)
Newt Gingrich - 0 (0%)
Pat Buchanan - 0 (0%)
Alfred E. Neuman - 0 (0%)
Zacherle - The Cool Ghoul - 4 (18.2%)
Pat Paulson - 0 (0%)
Cthulhu - 1 (4.5%)
Stephen Colbert - 0 (0%)
IndianaSmith - 0 (0%)
CheezeFlixz - 0 (0%)
AndyC - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Candidates  (Read 48734 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: November 02, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »

Well, it's about a year away from the 2008 Presidential Elections. I don't like politics at all. I probably won't vote next year unless something comes up or I feel the issues are important enough. It looks like a sad bunch. Election time always give me these questions and thoughts below. Other than that I'm just rambling.

You can vote for your candidate above, but this post is more about the election process.

Why is it that there is basically a two party system?

What are the issues?

Are their more important issues?

With communcations technology like it is today why do we need candidates that need to raise money and use special interest groups?

Most people don't have time, but why can't we have a whole four year thinking process to reveal ideas and potential candidates on a national government channel?

Why can't a variety of idea's be put forward by a C-SPAN type media channel that lets the more interesting unexperienced Candidates free access to present truly public ideas?

Candidates would move to prime time spots as viewer interest dictates, not as money dictates. Making the individual public more of a factor with free thinking and becoming exposed to a bigger world picture than what the Democrats and Republicans currently give us. Then at election time the public goes out and actually vote. Naturally their must be a four year candidate weeding out process. Should everyone be given free access to a national political channel?

It's imortant that we have free press, but is it possible elections might be a place where "Free Press" is hands off except maybe reporting on the political process and backgrounds of candidates. The news would have to report equally on a 3 tiered reporting system allowing lower ranking ideas an equal light. Should the press being a business itself be allowed to report on political elections?

If a new election process can't be devised how can things change?

Should elections be based on money? Money and issues? or just the issues?

Should economic factors dictate the direction and totality of the country from the candidate to policies?

Should the Presidency itself be made available to all classes of people? Or is the opportunity to run for President and the ability to make enough money to run for President a type of equal opportunity qualification? Meaning that getting to that level of money access is part of the equal opportunity in this country?

Should people who don't make time to know issues and candidates be allowed to vote? I mean.....What are they voting about?

How do you determine if a voter knows the issues and options?

Oviously the country needs to survive economically. Should big business drive elections or should free thinking?

These things can change our international policies quicker. If there was a democratic one world goverment would this change the driving econimic forces of elections and the need to compete internationally?

How should the country go about electing a President?

You can vote for your candidate above, but this post is more about the election process.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:38:19 PM by Scott » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:56:21 PM »

I'm having a hard time getting interested in any of them.

Why is it that there is basically a two party system?

The Democrats and Republicans have been in power so long that they pretty much have the election process to themselves. Almost every state has election rules that favor the two ruling parties and make it very hard to impossible for any independent or third party candidate to even get on the ballot. Their basic concern is third parties or independents siphoning votes off of their candidates.

It's hard to get into a process where the rules are all made by the parties in power and only reflect their self-interest.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »

I say that we need a new election process.  None of the inventive/smart/different candidates will get the chance to actually run for the presidency.  They will be shut out by the exact same government that everyone seems to complain about.

Nothing is going to change.  The people who are in charge will put others just like them in charge.  Nepotism and public apathy are our biggest problems.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »

Don't know what the answer is, but I agree with both of you. I mean who are these people? It's just plain weird.

I feel better when I ignore them all. The problem is they might one day effect your life and the people you love.

Must be part of a Divine plan I suppose. A riddle.

Pray for Mercy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:44:28 PM by Scott » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »

History has demonstrated that multiparty democracies tend to be messy, anarchic, and lend themselves to the rise of dictators (vis-a-vis Hitler rising out of the wreckage of the Weimar Republic and Putin destroying the election process of the Russian Federation). 

The two-party system, for all its flaws, is a guarantor of stability, which is one of the most important features any government can have.  As much as we like to gripe about this country, no people in the history of the world has ever been freer, more prosperous, and better governed than we Americans.

The men who created our Constitution were incredibly brilliant.  They created a system stable enough to produce a Republic which has endured incredible crises, yet flexible enough to adapt and change in response to said crises.

Are there some things we could stand to  change?  Surely.  Are we likely to do so?  Probably not.  As Jefferson said, "Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light or transient reasons.  Indeed all experience hath shown that mankind are more inclined to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to abolish the forms to which they are grown accustomed . . . "  (I'm quoting the Declaration from memory there, so I may be a word or two off!)

Good thread, BTW!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:24:02 AM »

I notice that both Christopher Walken and General Zod weren't on your list, when clearly according to these informative websites below, they are in the running:

http://www.walken2008.com/

http://www.zod2008.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:28:23 AM by dean » Logged

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:31:21 AM »

Aside from my rant earlier on this thread, I would say that Bill Richardson would be the candidate I would most like to take the office.  I'll not go into reasons why, but will let the qualifications speak for themselves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_richardson

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »

Nice post IndianaSmith............

History has demonstrated that multiparty democracies tend to be messy, anarchic, and lend themselves to the rise of dictators (vis-a-vis Hitler rising out of the wreckage of the Weimar Republic and Putin destroying the election process of the Russian Federation). 

I see your point of view. Messy is ok, no pain no gain. My point of view has always been the end game which is ultimately a Democratic One World Government free of International Economic competition. A government that can work within a borderless framework. Our current constitution is excellent, and the best thing going, and open to interpretation, but the U.S. being economically on top for the most part we do enslave smaller countries that don't have the resources to ever come out of their economic disadvantage. It's a fact that we send out our "people" at different levels of government or private corporations to secure what the U.S. needs without even attempting to open the borders between us and the third world country we are basically raping. Is that our fault? Perhaps not, but we can change it. In a sense we have created a subversive one world corprate goverment. We just like to say "Oh well....That's business". We do in fact need access to resources, new markets, and/or a growing population to make our current economy work. In the end they must find a different way of making the "economy" work. New markets and/or population growth just isn’t an option any more. A different world view is needed and I don’t mean giving away the store like the Democrats do nor taking advantage of others like Republicans tend to do. Both parties actually do the same things.

Also people want to come here for the freedom's and advance way of life. A nation forfeits its sovereignty when people flee from it to go somewhere else. Land for access. Land for access to modern technologically advance living. If people from other nations are flooding your country then something is wrong with their homeland and the nation taking them in should obtain the lands from which they came from. Instead we give away our technological knowledge for the monetary profit of a few wealthy individuals. Yes patents create incentive and the international sale and international competition to produce these things make them better. We also know other methods produce new advances like space travel and war create advances technology. There are other motivations beside money that have the ability to create new things.

The two-party system, for all its flaws, is a guarantor of stability, which is one of the most important features any government can have.  As much as we like to gripe about this country, no people in the history of the world has ever been freer, more prosperous, and better governed than we Americans.

What you have said is true IndianaSmith. Stability is nice and very desireable, but the world is changing with the speed of covering distances and advances in communication. The world is smaller and getting smaller. I say "yes" to a stable two-party system, but maintaining dominance internationally at all cost? I say yes, but with a different approach. New ideas for a new world. Maybe it's to early and the world isn't ready yet, but eventually it needs to change. Eventually our methods need to be more overt than subversive. 

The men who created our Constitution were incredibly brilliant.  They created a system stable enough to produce a Republic which has endured incredible crises, yet flexible enough to adapt and change in response to said crises.

They were brilliant in their time and perhaps always in this earthly realm. I don't know how much they commented on economics in there, but they probably never foreseen the real possibility of a democratic one world goverment, nor would they of had a need to consider it with the wide wide potention of new lands of their time. They had plenty of space. Things tend to evolve over time

Are there some things we could stand to  change?  Surely.  Are we likely to do so?  Probably not.  As Jefferson said, "Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light or transient reasons.  Indeed all experience hath shown that mankind are more inclined to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to abolish the forms to which they are grown accustomed . . . "  (I'm quoting the Declaration from memory there, so I may be a word or two off!)

Not sure these are transient reasons. Perhaps it's not crunch time, but they will have to deal with it someday. All or nothing. Their will be injustice and suffering under a new type of goverment for the simple reason that people aren't accustom to it. Perhaps things will all balance out with "prudence". If not the earth has it's own ways of cleansing itself I suppose.

No matter we are just strangers and pilgrims passing through this world. Reguardless of how it's done in the future nothing here will last forever.

I notice that both Christopher Walken and General Zod weren't on your list, when clearly according to these informative websites below, they are in the running:

http://www.walken2008.com/

http://www.zod2008.com/

Dean, I added your candidates.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:39:50 AM by Scott » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »

I think Hillary has it in the bag.  They have all these polls, hillary vs guliani, hillary vs romney.  the real election is hillary vs the bush years.  a dachsund could win that election.  democrats are going to be running against Bush for the next 50 years.

I myself am a huge ron paul supoprter  He is the only anti state candidate.  the dems want socialized medicine and the fairness doctorine.  the GOP wants more wars and warrentless wiretapping.  no thanks. 
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »

I think Hillary has it in the bag.  They have all these polls, hillary vs guliani, hillary vs romney.  the real election is hillary vs the bush years.  a dachsund could win that election.  democrats are going to be running against Bush for the next 50 years.

I myself am a huge ron paul supoprter  He is the only anti state candidate.  the dems want socialized medicine and the fairness doctorine.  the GOP wants more wars and warrentless wiretapping.  no thanks. 

I don't think that Hillary will win.  I consider myself to be an independent but lean heavily towards the democratic side rather than republican.  Despite that, I've never really cared for Hillary and do not support her.  I'd rather see someone like Obama or Richardson run for office rather than her.  If it is up to the people between her and Guliani then Guliani will win, hands down.

As for Ron Paul, I kind of liked the guy at first.  Some of his ideas were good, especially those about existing/new technologies.  I was interested in his stance so I did a little bit of research and found that the guy is out of his mind.  If there is one thing I cannot stand, it's a racist.  Paul seems to fit that bill.  Just do a quick internet search and you'll find everything you need to know about that.

Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:21:50 AM »

As far as the current candidates are concerned I lean towards Republicans. I believe George W. Bush will take care of Iran before he leaves office. I just don't think the Republicans went far enough and I was dissappointed in the fact that they had the Presidency and the House and couldn't make real domestic nor world change. The run for oil is important, but it's not everything. Think bigger.

On the surface I think Guilani has been given the offical "I was there" vote, but Romney, Paul, and Tancredo look interesting. Where's Newt, Pat Buchanan, and Arnold, and Al Gore? They would make things interesting.  Smile

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »

Al Gore is too busy doing things that are truly important and getting nobel prizes.  Wink

Scott

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »

As for Ron Paul, I kind of liked the guy at first.  Some of his ideas were good, especially those about existing/new technologies.  I was interested in his stance so I did a little bit of research and found that the guy is out of his mind.  If there is one thing I cannot stand, it's a racist.  Paul seems to fit that bill. 

If this is the case I definately won't vote for him. Their is no place in this world for racism.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »

Al Gore is too busy doing things that are truly important and getting nobel prizes.  Wink

Relentlessly exaggerating the threat of natural global weather forces, single handedly trying to undo all the progress of industrialization, and demanding a ride a bicycle while he rides around in a Learjet?  PUH-LEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't you hear British schools have stopped showing AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH because of its scientific inaccuracies?

The fact is we could implement EVERY SINGLE CHANGE Gore demands and we have NO IDEA whether or not it would affect the world's naturally changing climate.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »

Relentlessly exaggerating the threat of natural global weather forces, single handedly trying to undo all the progress of industrialization, and demanding a ride a bicycle while he rides around in a Learjet?  PUH-LEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't you hear British schools have stopped showing AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH because of its scientific inaccuracies?

The fact is we could implement EVERY SINGLE CHANGE Gore demands and we have NO IDEA whether or not it would affect the world's naturally changing climate.

Indiana,

The problem with internet forums is that my sense of sarcasm doesn't convey well to text.  I was joking, not being serious.  I actually have yet to see An Inconv. Truth and doubt that one man has the answers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2008 Presidential Candidates « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.