Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:24 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Deathdream (aka Dead Of Night) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deathdream (aka Dead Of Night)  (Read 5637 times)
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 03, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »

Andy is a soldier in Vietnam. Andy gets killied. Andy returns home to his family as a bloodthirsty zombie. I won't give away anymore, but damn is this a great, great movie, with subtle commentaries on the Vietman war and drug additction.
Directed by the immortal Bob Clark. CLASSIC.

Edit: Why the hell did I post this in the bad movie section? Easily one of the best atypical zombie movies. I totally agree with the feeling about it being depressing. That's a huge reason why I love it. I don't think the ending was silly though. Probably the most saddest part of the whole movie - Andy's mum still loves him despite him being undead and burying him in the cemetary. BRRRRRR!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:49:22 AM by voltron » Logged

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:13:15 AM »

I actually just watched this one.  I got a pretty good enjoyment out of the DVD case saying DEATHDREAM and the movie tile saying DEAD OF NIGHT.

I don't know.  I liked it.  Eh?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:23:35 AM »

I saw this one a while back and really enjoyed it.  It's certainly not your average zombie flick.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »

I waited a long time for this to get released on DVD and I bought it as soon as it was available.  I haven't watched it since then, but thanks for reminding me.  It's a really enjoyable flick and I need to dig it out and watch it again.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:09:17 PM »

I actually saw a screening of it about a month ago at the Music Box Massacre here in Chicago. It kinda bored the hell out of me.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

I actually saw a screening of it about a month ago at the Music Box Massacre here in Chicago. It kinda bored the hell out of me.
He! He! He! Hee... I started a thread on the WHAT WAS THAT FILM? section, trying to remember the title of this film (April 17, 2007)... thanks to this board, I was armed with the title and shortly thereafter bought the DVD several  months ago, and watched the thing for the first time in perhaps 30 years.  Though now'days it takes quite a bit to shock me (so, it's not a SHOCKER, though it has a few shocking moments) I found the film still sad, and haunting, with some truly great takes (like the hand-held shot out of the 18 wheeler cab and the thunderous score, with the first local victim looking very pedestrianly savaged... ) 

For me, nostalgia has a lot to do with my interest in this film, so quabrot, I can understand your not being riveted (Andy does spend an inordinate amount of time creeping everyone out if not rocking in his rocking chair...)  But there's the scene with the dog, and with the family doctor... it's not a forgettable film unless one is inured to  horror.  Offhandedly, and luckily, brilliantly, right for its era, and unfolding slowly, is the real horror of a shattered family. 

I remembered DEATHDREAM (billed as DEAD OF NIGHT) from its late night showings on WORTV (channel 9 out of NY) CHILLER (I think) mid 1970s ('75 and/or '76) it was shown regularly with films like DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT, CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS, and GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE... all dat CHEEZ weez LUV...ubh... with a sweet tooth for 1970s low-rent horror, this is still one of the best (and the DVD package is great, with updating interviews, including with "ANDY...")  I felt this film, though lacking thrills, and with an arguably silly ending (but perfectly right, too) holds up well in its own creepy little niche...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »

He! He! He! Hee... I started a thread on the WHAT WAS THAT FILM? section, trying to remember the title of this film (April 17, 2007)... thanks to this board, I was armed with the title and shortly thereafter bought the DVD several  months ago, and watched the thing for the first time in perhaps 30 years.  Though now'days it takes quite a bit to shock me (so, it's not a SHOCKER, though it has a few shocking moments) I found the film still sad, and haunting, with some truly great takes (like the hand-held shot out of the 18 wheeler cab and the thunderous score, with the first local victim looking very pedestrianly savaged... ) 

For me, nostalgia has a lot to do with my interest in this film, so quabrot, I can understand your not being riveted (Andy does spend an inordinate amount of time creeping everyone out if not rocking in his rocking chair...)  But there's the scene with the dog, and with the family doctor... it's not a forgettable film unless one is inured to  horror.  Offhandedly, and luckily, brilliantly, right for its era, and unfolding slowly, is the real horror of a shattered family. 

I remembered DEATHDREAM (billed as DEAD OF NIGHT) from its late night showings on WORTV (channel 9 out of NY) CHILLER (I think) mid 1970s ('75 and/or '76) it was shown regularly with films like DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT, CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS, and GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE... all dat CHEEZ weez LUV...ubh... with a sweet tooth for 1970s low-rent horror, this is still one of the best (and the DVD package is great, with updating interviews, including with "ANDY...")  I felt this film, though lacking thrills, and with an arguably silly ending (but perfectly right, too) holds up well in its own creepy little niche...

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Karma to you.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:50 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Karma to you.
Thanks, Skaboi.  Ditto.   Thumbup

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »

DEATHDREAM aka DEAD OF NIGHT (1972) on TCM TONIGHT  2:15 am

Small | Large

Here's the whole damned movie...: 

DeathDream (1972)

major jay

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 08:12:03 AM »

Caught this the last time it was on TCM, and have to say I didn't like it. Maybe it's because I wasn't in the right mood. I thought it was just way too depressing.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »

Caught this the last time it was on TCM, and have to say I didn't like it. Maybe it's because I wasn't in the right mood. I thought it was just way too depressing.
It is depressing.  However, I saw it young enough that it is locked in the "creepy" and "scary" place forever. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 12:54:05 AM »

I remember seeing the poster for the VHS release while on holiday with my folks: the poster has always stuck with me (never saw the film, though)

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »

This is the kind of film that Wes Craven's Chiller should have aspired to be.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Deathdream (aka Dead Of Night) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.