Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:42:26 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Soup « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best Soup  (Read 10075 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »

I'd say tastes here are, by and large, pretty similar to my own.

I love a good French onion soup, particularly at a restaurant where I don't have to get the melted cheese off the bowl.

The cream soups for sure (broccoli, mushroom, potato, asparagus, cauliflower, any of those)

Tomato soup for sure. Goes great with grilled cheese on a winter day.

Clam or seafood chowder are another big favourite, although not all chowders are created equal.

Just yesterday, my wife made a curried squash and roasted pepper soup with diced German sausage. Quite satisfying, but I'l have to eat it a few more times to see if it counts as a favourite.

And nothing beats a really good stew, whether beef, chicken, turkey, Irish or whatever. One of the best stews I ever ate was at the Legion hall here. Irish stew is a tradition there on St. Paddy's Day. I almost didn't go, because stew is one of those foods I'm picky about.

You see, when I say I like good stew, I mean GOOD stew. Exceptional stew. My mom fed me a lot of bad stew growing up. I guess it comes down to philosophy. For my mom, stew is a way to use up parts of the roast that otherwise wouldn't get eaten. For me, it's a dish in its own right.

Since I started making my own stew my way (starting with fresh, quality ingredients - no cheap stew meat, leftover scraps or overcooked vegetables) I've discovered to my surprise that I love stew. But I'm still wary of trying unfamiliar stew. There's a lot of bad stew out there.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

Along with lots of folks I like Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.

I really like the Minestrone and Fagioli soups at The Olive Garden

My number one fave was my Mom's (passed away 14 years ago) homemade country vegetable soup.

It contained

Butterbeans, purple hull peas, okra, tomatoes, potatoes, and onions. Put a piece of cornbread in a bowl and then cover it  with this and that's what you call eating!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:39:14 PM »

That CheezeFlixz sure gets around. Everything from Skydiving, Reading History, Travels, and even Soup.  Thumbup

Comes from being old .. LOL.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »

Let me also add a real political analysis and economist.

Now that's quite a stew.  Twirling
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:51:01 PM by Scott » Logged

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Katie makes a good beef stew.  She uses V8 juice instead of water and the meat is not chunk "whatever left over" for stew.  We usually use steak tips or sirloin.

What she makes that is awesome is chicken and dumplings.  Man, I love me some good chicken and dumplings.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »

Katie makes a good beef stew.  She uses V8 juice instead of water and the meat is not chunk "whatever left over" for stew.  We usually use steak tips or sirloin.

What she makes that is awesome is chicken and dumplings.  Man, I love me some good chicken and dumplings.

Soon it will be Turkey and Dumpling time ... along with the 400 other turkey and something dishes, we even make Turkey Noodle Soup.

Torgo

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »

My grandmother makes Turkey Hash every year out of the leftover turkery. It's bascially just turkey and cubed potatoe chunks in a broth.  Talk about good eating!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »

Along with lots of folks I like Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.

That was basically all I practically ate growing up. Good stuff!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
MST3KFan
Dedicated Viewer

Watches too many bad movies

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 06:39:05 PM »

Hey all.

I'm new to the board, but I didn't see an introduce yourself section, so I thought maybe I'd start out by dropping my two cents in on a conversation and soup is a good one to start.  Smile

I love the soup Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden Scott posted as one of my top three. I didn't even know about it until me and some friends a few years back went there and my friend suggested it to me when we were asked what soup we wanted with our meal. I was worried it'd be really spicy when I read about it, but it turns out to be really good. Anyone whom hasn't tried it should.

Also Split Pea Soup is really good. I like the Campbell's Chunky version, but my Dad is able to make an awesome tasting batch of homemade with leftover ham shank from Easter or some holiday, potatoes, carrots, celery, and of course the green split peas.

Third place I'd say is a tie for me between chicken noodle soup and tomato. SOme days you just feel like one over another.

"And a noble race dies out...sometimes. This LOSER race though will not be missed." -Crow T Robot, MST3K "Prince of Space"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »

I'm new to the board, but I didn't see an introduce yourself section, so I thought maybe I'd start out by dropping my two cents in on a conversation and soup is a good one to start.  Smile

Welcome aboard, MST3KFan!  You have a great taste in avatars.

I don't know what it is, by as the years have gone past I eat less chicken noodle.  I've tried a few different varieties, but I lean more toward stuff like the ones I mentioned earlier.  Now and then, I'll try a chicken noodle again but it never gets back on my regular menu.

We just spent the last three days eating a honey ham we picked up.  Katie is going to make some soup with the remainder.  There is still a good bit of meat on the bone, so it should be good.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 07:42:39 PM »

When I lived in Germany, there was this place at the end of my street that made an amazing beef goulash. They served it with bread made that day, man that was good eats. I think the thing I miss about Germany  the most was the food.  TeddyR

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »

Ah, I keep forgetting most of you guys are just coming up to Thanksgiving. We had it here last month.

Chicken noodle soup was one of the ones I didn't much care for, probably because all we got when I was a kid was the basic Campbell's version that was kind of like chickeny dishwater with soggy noodles and tiny bits of "chicken" floating around in it. Put me off it for life.

One of my friends years ago (actually more of a friend of a friend) used to be nuts about chicken noodle soup. That and apple pie. And chicken fingers, come to think of it. I like chicken fingers and apple pie too, but not like this guy. Anytime the bunch of us went out to eat, it didn't matter what kind of fancy or exotic foods, gourmet soups or rich desserts were on the menu, Dave would always get chicken noodle soup, chicken fingers and apple pie if they were available. We'd all sit there looking at him as if to ask "are you five years old?"

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »

When I lived in Germany, there was this place at the end of my street that made an amazing beef goulash. They served it with bread made that day, man that was good eats. I think the thing I miss about Germany  the most was the food.  TeddyR

My Mom use to make a great goulash. Never asked here where she got the recipe. My parents were in Germany when I was born and I lived their the first year of my life. Maybe she picked it up from there.

I don't know what it is, by as the years have gone past I eat less chicken noodle.  I've tried a few different varieties, but I lean more toward stuff like the ones I mentioned earlier.  Now and then, I'll try a chicken noodle again but it never gets back on my regular menu.

Chicken soup has gone way down on my list also, but we do have a store in our region that you might be familiar with Andrew. It's a chain called WAWA and they have a great chicken noodle soup with thick wide noodles. Well......I think it's good, but then again when I go there I usually order their Chili, Split Pea Soup, or Beef and Barley before getting to the Chicken Noodle Soup.

And I love dumplings. Haven't had them in years. Wait a minute I think I had some at Country Buffet once. Love anything with gravy on it.

Hey all.

I love the soup Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden Scott posted as one of my top three. I didn't even know about it until me and some friends a few years back went there and my friend suggested it to me when we were asked what soup we wanted with our meal. I was worried it'd be really spicy when I read about it, but it turns out to be really good. Anyone whom hasn't tried it should.

Welcome to the forum MSTK3Fan. Giving you and the GIANT CLAW a little karma to go with your Zuppa Toscana. It's on the house.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:34:10 PM by Scott » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Best Soup « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.