Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:26:41 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Curse (Capsule Review) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Curse (Capsule Review)  (Read 19839 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 06, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »

The plot is loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space," but the real reason to see this film is to watch Wil Wheaton being slapped around.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:07:14 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:38:09 PM »

Man, this one is a dog.  Even seeing Will get slapped around does not redeem it.  For a much better version of this Lovecraft story, try DIE, MONSTER, DIE!  (great Misfits song too).
jz1017
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

I've seen Die Monster, Die! and the Curse.  I've also read the short story The Colour Out of Space.  I find that it is unfortunate that The Curse is the closest version to Lovecraft's original story.  Do yourself a favor and read the story, don't bother with either film.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »

I've noticed that with a lot of Lovecraft's stories, but especially those made in the 80's and 90's.  Anyone ever seen The Lurking Fear? It's nothing like the short story!  We go from a man investigating the mysterious slaughter of a village by subterranean beasts to some action/horror wanna-be about a bunch of people holed up in a dilapidated church with what appear to be undead monsters living underground.  I'm still trying to wonder exactly how they did a film for Cool Air, especially when that story was maybe what?  10 pages? In all honesty, if you want the feel of Lovecraft, just read the damn stories!
Neville

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

Saw this one as a kid, found quite boring. The image of the apples stuffed with worms stuck with me for a while, though. If you ever have kids that eat too much fruit and not enough candy bars, that's the way to solve it, show them this movie.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »

I believe "Cool Air" has been adapted several times.  It's the second segment in the horror antho movie NECRONOMICON: BOOK OF THE DEAD, but I haven't seen any of the others.

I do agree that "The Colour Out of Space" is far superior in the original short story than in any adaptation, but I would far rather watch Karloff than Wil Wheaton any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).

BLEEDERS is also an awful adaptation of "The Lurking Fear"...in fact the only really GOOD adaptation of Lovecraft to date is the silent CALL OF CTHULHU.  Hopefully that will change with the Lovecraft Society's new adaptation of "The Whisperer in the Darkness".
Anthony
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »

There's also "Dreams in the Witch-House" from the Masters of Horror series, although I found some parts were a little too cliched. I think the story would have worked better if they had kept it in the time period of the story, rather than trying to contemporize it. Still, it's done by Stuart Gordon (who did "Re-Animator"), and it does a relatively decent job of setting up the story. It also keeps the Lovecraft mood where you can't win, and any attempt to stand up to the forces of darkness will only result in you dead or insane.

I think Lovecraft stories are just too tough to film by their very nature. Imagine trying to do an adaptation of "The Shadow Out of Time". Although I must say "The Colour Out of Space" would make an excellent anthology adaptation. It's creepy enough to sustain the tension for one hour (or half an hour) without you having to pad it out too much. Too bad the guys behind this movie didn't know how to pull off the horror, apparently.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »

There's also "Dreams in the Witch-House" from the Masters of Horror series, although I found some parts were a little too cliched. I think the story would have worked better if they had kept it in the time period of the story, rather than trying to contemporize it. Still, it's done by Stuart Gordon (who did "Re-Animator"), and it does a relatively decent job of setting up the story. It also keeps the Lovecraft mood where you can't win, and any attempt to stand up to the forces of darkness will only result in you dead or insane.

I think Lovecraft stories are just too tough to film by their very nature. Imagine trying to do an adaptation of "The Shadow Out of Time". Although I must say "The Colour Out of Space" would make an excellent anthology adaptation. It's creepy enough to sustain the tension for one hour (or half an hour) without you having to pad it out too much. Too bad the guys behind this movie didn't know how to pull off the horror, apparently.

Del Toro has been working on "At the Mountains of Madness" for years.  Hopefully that project will bear fruit some day.  He does a good job with dark fantasy, and I like his serious efforts better than his simple action flicks (Hellboy films, etc.). 

I'd love to see a well-crafted film version of "The Shadow Out of Time."  It has such great atmosphere, and the telling reminds me of Burroughs' Barsoom series.  The polyps have always been a favorite monster of mine - Lovecraft usually gave us just enough information for our imaginations to run with.  There's actually a pretty cool illustration of one in a compendium of mythos monters.

For a version of "The Colour of Space," try Boris Karloff's "Die, Monster, Die!" (1965).  It's a much better effort. 

If you like Lovecraftian movies, you absolutely have to check out "The Resurrected" (1992).  I have a review here:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/resurrected/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »

I keep trying to get a copy of "The Resurrected" on EBay, but the one DVD I found was like $55!!

A pretty decent Lovecraftian film is DAGON - a fairly faithful retelling of THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »

I keep trying to get a copy of "The Resurrected" on EBay, but the one DVD I found was like $55!!

A pretty decent Lovecraftian film is DAGON - a fairly faithful retelling of THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH.

Some Amazon.com resellers are offering used copies of "The Resurrected" in very good condition for a little more than half of that.  It's a shame that the DVD is out of print.

I like "Dagon."  The movie is about 65% "The Shadow Over Innmouth," 5% "Dagon," and 30% other ideas.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »

Since "Dagon" has been mentioned, I'll add my liking of it. I especially like to point out Francisco "Paco" Rabal's performance as Ezequiel in the film. I'd put it as one of the 50 best performances I've seen in any horror film. I'd also add, this would be his last screen appearance, before he died that same year.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Curse (Capsule Review) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.