Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:26:49 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Brazil « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brazil  (Read 5459 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: November 07, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »

I just watched this film for the first time recently, and I have to say, I was impressed.  This film was a little too long for my taste, but in the end, the positives far outweighed that aspect. 

Terry Gilliam's vision of dystopia is one that succeeds in being both funny, as well as dark and creepy at the same time, a combination I've seen used effectively only a few other times.  The story is also a heartbreaking one, if you do what I did and rented the original cut of the film, as opposed to the "love conquers all" version, which from what I've heard really sucks.   

I especially loved how Gilliam portrayed the government as being dominant, yet very inefficient at the same time.  Everything is just bogged down in regulations, procedures, and red tape.  Being a resident of New York State, I could totally relate.   TeddyR
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »

I really like this film, though it is hard to watch. As you say, it is both funny and heartbreaking. It is absolutely beautiful to watch, but the story is brutal as well as touching. I'm working up to watching Gilliam's Tideland, which appears to be along the same lines (not story-wise; just in that it is brutal and beautiful at the same time). So far, I've loved all of Gilliam's films that I have watched (the weakest I've seen are The Fisher King and The Brothers Grimm). But I especially love his "trilogy" of films--Time Bandits, Brazil, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen--that deal with childhood, adulthood, and old age.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »

I'm working up to watching Gilliam's Tideland, which appears to be along the same lines (not story-wise; just in that it is brutal and beautiful at the same time).

It takes a lot to disturb and offend me.  Tideland almost made me turn it off at least three times.  It is a seriously f'ed up movie.  I watched it all the way through once and that was enough for a life time.   Thumbdown

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone unless they were a hard-core Gilliam fan.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:59:32 PM »

I actually liked The Fisher King a lot.  I guess the fact that it has Robin Williams makes it tough for hardcore Gilliam fans to like.  But if you compare it to Brazil and Munchausen and Time Bandits...yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that, Derf. 
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:46 PM »

I'm working up to watching Gilliam's Tideland, which appears to be along the same lines (not story-wise; just in that it is brutal and beautiful at the same time).

It takes a lot to disturb and offend me.  Tideland almost made me turn it off at least three times.  It is a seriously f'ed up movie.  I watched it all the way through once and that was enough for a life time.   Thumbdown

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone unless they were a hard-core Gilliam fan.

I loved Tideland!  I was lucky enough to see it during its limited theatrical run, and it's a beautiful sight on the big screen.  I read the book beforehand so I knew what to expect (the film is tamer than the book, by the way), but there were still some uncomfortable moments.  I don't feel it's as messed up as many viewers believe it to be.

Anyways, as for Brazil, I usually name it as my favorite film.  There's a lot to take in, and after repeated viewings I've noticed more flaws, but overall I think it's a very accomplished film.  I'm really pretty biased towards liking any Terry Gilliam film, but I'd say my least favorite is The Brothers Grimm.  For some reason I'm not the biggest fan of Time Bandits, but I still watch it once in a while.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »

I actually liked The Fisher King a lot.  I guess the fact that it has Robin Williams makes it tough for hardcore Gilliam fans to like.  But if you compare it to Brazil and Munchausen and Time Bandits...yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that, Derf. 

It wasn't the fact that it starred Robin Williams that put me off on this film (although, granted, I saw more of Williams in this movie than I ever wanted to, if you know what I mean--bouncing schlongs in the moonlight aren't my cup of tea). It just didn't feel like a Gilliam film to me; the look was more mainstream, as was the story. It felt like Gilliam was trying to make a commercially successful movie, and in doing so, left behind much of what makes his work unique. I had the same feeling with The Brothers Grimm, although it at least looked a bit more like a Gilliam movie. And for the record, The Fisher King was more enjoyable to me than The Brothers Grimm.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:24 PM »

Time Bandits I love and have on DVD and I love Munchhausen.  It was quite breathtaking.  Haven't seen Fisher King or Tideland.  And I think I watched Brazil a few times, but never to the end.  From what I remember, it's a weird movie and I didn't get it.  So I'll have to rent it again and sit down in a quiet room and watch it to the end.

Not sure about Gilliam as a filmmaker though.  He's a little too out there for my taste and it seems like his movies have no point.  But maybe you have to be a fan to "get" them anyway.

I saw The Brothers Grimm, but didn't like it as much as I expected to, so I felt quite disappointed.  My 16 yo son loved it.  It was quite lavish as Terry Gilliam movies tend to be, but I found the plot a little baffling.  I did like Monica Bellucci as the evil queen though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:23:51 PM by Killer Bees » Logged

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »

I really don't think that Terry Gilliam has ever topped Brazil.  It's his best film IMO and one of my personal top ten favorite movies of all time.

Truly haunting, funny, scary and truly mind bending all at the same time. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
raj

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:30 AM »

Brazil has more of a political message (not that that's wrong) so it's kind of different from his other movies.  It's a very dark movie, very good though I don't watch it as often as Munchhausen. I like both of them, along with Time Bandits, which is a bit weaker IMO.

I did enjoy Fisher King and while it is more mainstream than most of Terry's movies it does have the blurring of fantasy/reality in it. One thing though, it really doesn't work as a date movie, at least on a first date.  D'oh!
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:15:50 AM »

I really don't think that Terry Gilliam has ever topped Brazil.  It's his best film IMO and one of my personal top ten favorite movies of all time.

Truly haunting, funny, scary and truly mind bending all at the same time. 

I think he came close with 12 Monkeys.
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »

I love Brazil even if its a little too long. My personal favoratie Gilliam film is Munchhuasen, its also I feel his most unkown, and underated film because nobody I know, even other Gilliam fans know of it.Can't even find it on DVD at Best Buy. My least favorite  is Brothers Grimm, which I think is one of the biggest pieces of crap ever put on film.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Brazil « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.