Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:26 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Merely "bad" CGI or "Wretched Gawdawful CGI!!" « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Merely "bad" CGI or "Wretched Gawdawful CGI!!"  (Read 20876 times)
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2007, 05:42:11 AM »

Or check out the scene from the first Harry Potter film, in which Harry fights a troll. It just suddenly turns into a cartoon.
XD I remember that, it was like, Harry Potter vs Shrek. Also whenever any kind of stunts were required in that movie, the kids turned into awful CG, it was so confusing and it basically messed up the whole thing for me. There's this whole current "if it's computer generated, it's not dated, whether it looks real or not" misconception.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »

As techniques improve, bad CGI is going to look as dated as any poorly-done bluescreen, stop-motion or puppet effect of the past. Our grandkids are going to be laughing their butts off at some of these films.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
316zombie
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2007, 07:14:34 PM »

the big difference,at least in my own case,is that my nieces vastly appreciate the older films,they range from 21 down to 8,with a greatnephew a month old,he will be a fan too,we hope!
sid viscious is my youngest niece,she gets into some nasty debates with her grownup cousins about classic movies,i am thankful...
we all like certain movies that are cgi,but not many....
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 12:58:03 AM »

sid viscious is my youngest niece,

......Oh, man......Lets hope she doesn't tunr out like that OTHER Sid Vicious!

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 07:08:01 AM »

And Why does the CGI in Jurassic Park 1993.
Look better than most CGI in the movies today?

I think that's a question that mankind has been asking them selves for a while now, and I don't think we will ever have an answer for it.

I though the CGI is the Star Wars prequels were actually not that bad, quite good in some ways.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 09:29:09 AM »

I though the CGI is the Star Wars prequels were actually not that bad, quite good in some ways.

Yea, they were shiney, I guess, but nothing beats a real phisical model. and doesnt it seem a bit unnesessary to CGI the clone troopers, when they could have easily put guys in clone armor? 

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Jim H

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2007, 06:34:58 AM »

As techniques improve, bad CGI is going to look as dated as any poorly-done bluescreen, stop-motion or puppet effect of the past. Our grandkids are going to be laughing their butts off at some of these films.

I think it will actually look more dated.  It's comparable to 2D video games VS 3D videogames.  That is, 2D videogames always were avatars, never intended to be realistic.  They also essentially hit a ceiling early on.  Whereas 3D video games get more and more photorealistic, and the animation on old games looks worse in comparison. 

It's the same way with stop motion, which had relatively few major enhancements for a 50 year period. 

It never was entirely believable, but its unreality was easy to accept.  This, in some cases at least, will not be the case with dated CG.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »

Actually, stop-motion always enhanced movies for me. There's just something about that unnatural movement that makes monsters seem more monstrous. Give me good stop motion over mediocre CGI any day.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jim H

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »

Actually, stop-motion always enhanced movies for me. There's just something about that unnatural movement that makes monsters seem more monstrous. Give me good stop motion over mediocre CGI any day.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to get at.  I love the look of stop motion.  One of the highlights of this year was getting to see Ray Harryhausen when he visited my school for a screening of Jason and the Argonauts - and brought one of the original skeleton puppets with him!  He seemed to be in remarkably good health, physically and mentally, though his hearing wasn't great.

One other thing...  It is interesting that the first truely convincing stop motion came right as the special effect was in its last days as a mainstream technique.  Look at Dragonslayer's stop motion, for example, and imagine if the go-motion technology it employed had been perfect.

One of the coolest recent examples of stop motion was in the Life Aquatic With Steve Siszou.  They did a great job with the Jaguar Shark, which you briefly see towards the end.  It was a gigantic stop motion puppet.
eclipsed
Dedicated Viewer

Naturally Aspirated!

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »

total recall had some steller cg work in it (please excuse my dripping sarcasm)
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

I never questioned the CGI in Jurassic Park. Not once, and I still don't. The whole thing just looks... Real.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Merely "bad" CGI or "Wretched Gawdawful CGI!!" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.