Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:32:47 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  H.p. Lovecraft inspired scene in Aliens? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: H.p. Lovecraft inspired scene in Aliens?  (Read 5578 times)
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« on: November 12, 2007, 08:26:21 AM »

Im a huge Lovecraft fan and I always find it facinating how often his work pops up in movies. The other day Aliens was on Cinemax, and when it got to the scene were Ripley enters the egg chamber with the queen, I decided to watch it in slow motion. There is a long camera shot were the queen is reviealed from the egg sack all the way to her body. Its the positioning of the body which interested me, as it fits very closely to the discription of the Chtulhu Idol from the "Call of Chtulhu.
"It reprsented a monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with a octopuslike head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long narrow wings behind.This thing which seemed instinct with with a fearsome and unnatural malignancy, was of somewhat bloated corpulance, and squatted evily on a rectangular block or pedestal."
 The queen squats on her egg sack, the spikes on her back give her the appearance of having wings, and the hands on her long arms are placed against the side of the face with the fingers hanging out before the mouth giving the appereance of tentacles. There are additional similaritys but I'll let you find them yourselves. It looks to much like the Chtulhu Idol discription for me not to be intrigued.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Gwangi
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

Both Alien and Aliens seem very Lovecraftian in nature.  A dark foreboding entity lurking in the unknown darkness.  Of course the creature wasn't evil, it was just acting according to its biology.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »

Yeah, I don't think Lovecraft could have came up with characters like Bishop, Apone and Hudson.  BounceGiggle

Giger was probably influenced a bit by Lovecraft but his artwork (to me, at least) looks like a fusion of the biological and mechanical.

Lovecraft is just awesome...but if were to go back in time and meet him at a cafe (or opium den) on Thayer Street in Providence, he'd come off as a huge prick (from what I've heard).

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:27 AM »

In the original script for Alien (long before Giger was involved in the project), the alien was explicitly described as having a cephalopoid head.  So Lovecraft's been at least a minor influence from the early days.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Spiff
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »

Always thought the queen looked like one of 'The Brood' from the X-Men comics, myself.
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »

Actually, the Brood were introduced a couple years after 1979's Alien

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
horseshoe crab
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »

Both Alien and Aliens seem very Lovecraftian in nature.  A dark foreboding entity lurking in the unknown darkness.  Of course the creature wasn't evil, it was just acting according to its biology.

Technically, so are Lovecraft's monsters.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 03:24:39 PM »

I've never quite got why people think of Alien as having any Lovecraftian connections. I find the arguments for weak and tenuous at best. If it increases your enjoyment of the series though feel free to think what you like.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 03:39:39 PM »

Man, this thread is old- 2007. I joined in 2006.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 12:53:24 AM »

Giger's work directly inspired Dan O'Bannon when he wrote the screenplay of Alien.

Dan showed HR Giger's Necronomicon (1977) to Ridley Scott, who then asked Giger to do character designs and world designs for the original Alien movie. The title of the compendium is taken directly from the name of a fictional grimoire that Lovecraft wrote about repeatedly in his work.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  H.p. Lovecraft inspired scene in Aliens? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.