Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:35:03 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hoorah For Horror Hosts!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hoorah For Horror Hosts!!!  (Read 3825 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: December 19, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »

Hoorah for Horror Hosts! Thumbup

Many of you older fans were lucky enough to grow up with them. They thrilled, amused, shocked, scared and/or titillated you with chilling tales of B-movie Horror (you know all those true classics of yesteryear and some not-so classic too!) while using their own unique methods of frightening or attempting to frighten the willies out of you  Buggedout . Many said methods were unique, fun, crafty and inventively low budget in their execution  BounceGiggle . They came in all shapes, forms and fashions Smile . Many were mad doctors (no scratch that!)…many still are mad doctors, zany professors, demented ghouls, vampire gals  Twirling and more!  Perhaps some also included some unusually attired monsters/aliens/bizarre oddities almost as scary and shockingly low budget as many of the films they featured, some no doubt even more low budget believe it or not  Buggedout !  They are Horror and Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie Hosts and this thread is dedicated to them and their many wonderful works! Thanks to you all!  Cheers I just wish I personally could have seen more such output as a youth (mainly what I've seen has come from grainy VHS copies) and greatly envy those who did get to see these talents in action in their primes.

There have been so many, many greats over the years primarily it seems located in the United States, usually featured on late night local independent TV stations. Names like Elvira, Vampira, Zacherley, Svengoolie, Ghoulardi have become the stuff of legend.  Grandpa and Eddie Munster have both done some Horror hosting in the past. Some more recent Horror hosts I’ve had the joy of discovering and very much enjoy the antics of include the much celebrated Mr. Lobo, the host of Cinema Insomnia, the talented if demented Dr. Madblood, the 50s Beatnik stars of Off Beat Cinema. I’m sure there’s no doubt many more out there…if you’re lucky enough to have a late night Horror hosted style show, I suggest you take full advantage.  If anyone wants to add more names to the list and give some kudos, please feel free to do so.

Less traditional but something that has become more common is shows like Mystery Science Theater 3000 which mock films and use skits in between which is kind of similar to the Horror hosted shows of yesteryear (although the classic Horror shows did seem to treat the actual films with a much higher level of respect  Thumbup ) . This style of show has become surprisingly popular and has even on occasion found some higher level of mainstream success. This show too has had its imitators be it the Spacebar show on Canada’s answer to a Sci-Fi network Space or Ed the Sock’s This Movie Sucks! show on CityTV in Canada.  When Dusk first debuted as the Scream network in Canada, they had a number of Horror hosts intro most of their films in wraparound segments including Ryan McNeil, comedian Martina Gail, writer Edo Van Belkom and perhaps most notable Jane Meikle who presented us with four different and unique characters – a luscious dominatrix named Mistress Olga  Twirling , a bubblehead valley girl named Tiff, a naughty and demented English schoolgirl named Nancy and finally a messed up underachieving news anchor woman named Sharon Stokowski.

Horror hosts though on the traditional local networks should remain a stable of late night TV. I really hope some have the foresight to see the fun and sense of wonder said hosts can bring to the table and nowadays they would be greatly preferred over the much too common late night advertisement television  Hatred . As long as there’s a sense of wonder and films continue to be fun to watch (as almost all the true B-movie monster cult classics are and which lend themselves surprisingly well to some good natured fun and low budget hijinks at their expense), I seriously hope there will continue to be a place for Horror hosts and their antics.  TeddyR

Horror Host Gallery East Wing

Horror Host Gallery West Wing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_host

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »

Let's not forget WNEW 5 (New York) and Creature Features back in the 70's and it's end in 1980, as   "The Creep" was one horror host many forget about, save for us CF fans in the Tri-State area.

Yes, he was called "The Creep" (actor Lou Steele) and he would host CF wearing his leisure suit and his shades. He sat under harsh studio lights giving anecdotes and opinions about horror in the live-action wraparound sequences, and made quite a name for himself doing so. He passed away in 2001, and with a huge Tri-State area following.

Steele also did the 2 classic commercials many of you remember,  where he asked you if you hugged your child at 7PM. and again after CF when he asked everyone if they knew where their children were at 10PM.  You know the ones  TeddyR

And WPHL 17 (Philadelphia) had Dr. Shock and his weekend horror show. An understudy of Zacherley, he became a big name for Philly horror fans as he crawled from his coffin in front of his daughter, Bubbles.

I myself was honored to get both Tri-State AND Philly programming on UHF due to living high on a hill in New Jersey (above the treelines) and having the added benefit of a rotary antenna.

It was a time I miss to this very day.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:09:48 AM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
316zombie
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

here in wichita,years ago,we had a fabulous horror host known simply as" the host".he was fabulous,and i was fortunate enough to wait on he and his wife at the restaurant i worked in,and i found out he had also been a kidshow host named major astro for many many years,and was a hero to most of the people my age who grew up here.
i've met quite a few"famous" people in my wor4k,and i have NEVER met anyone nicer than him! he showed HORRIBLE films,an example being matango:attack of the mushroom people,and he and his sidekick NEVER actually talked about the movie showing,they were just too funny!
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »

here in wichita,years ago,we had a fabulous horror host known simply as" the host".he was fabulous,and i was fortunate enough to wait on he and his wife at the restaurant i worked in,and i found out he had also been a kidshow host named major astro for many many years,and was a hero to most of the people my age who grew up here.
i've met quite a few"famous" people in my wor4k,and i have NEVER met anyone nicer than him! he showed HORRIBLE films,an example being matango:attack of the mushroom people,and he and his sidekick NEVER actually talked about the movie showing,they were just too funny!

That's just too cool  BounceGiggle

I never met a horror host, save for Zacherley at Chiller Theatre, and he was quite nice, and was in a bit of hurry as he was getting ready to go onstsage with Bobby "Boris" Pickett.  He did take some time to let me relate some fond memories of him, as well as the later Chiller Theatre that opened with the 6 fingered hand.

Out of his own graciousness, he signed 2 pics for me, and let me have them for 15 dollars instead of 30!  And as I thanked him, he put his arm around me and said, "just remember to take them with you in the afterlife, my dear boy"! after which he gave his trademark laugh.  I was totally beside myself!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »

I never met a horror host, save for Zacherley at Chiller Theatre, and he was quite nice, and was in a bit of hurry as he was getting ready to go onstsage with Bobby "Boris" Pickett.  He did take some time to let me relate some fond memories of him, as well as the later Chiller Theatre that opened with the 6 fingered hand.

Out of his own graciousness, he signed 2 pics for me, and let me have them for 15 dollars instead of 30!  And as I thanked him, he put his arm around me and said, "just remember to take them with you in the afterlife, my dear boy"! after which he gave his trademark laugh.  I was totally beside myself!
I remember Zacherley and his show. I had completely forgotten about his "trademark laugh".   Great host!

Hold onto your dreams ....
sl50sl50
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »

This Movie Sucks is great, Ed the Sock and Ron Sparks are hilarious, some episodes were not good but the really funny episodes are I think as good as MST3000.  MST3000 is one of my fave shows of all time if not my #1.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:18 AM »

I remember Zacherley and his show. I had completely forgotten about his "trademark laugh".   Great host!

Here he is!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
316zombie
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

very cool,umaril! do you still have them?
tmsfan1
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »

This Movie Sucks is great, Ed the Sock and Ron Sparks are hilarious, some episodes were not good but the really funny episodes are I think as good as MST3000.  MST3000 is one of my fave shows of all time if not my #1.

TMS is even better than mst3k and ron sparks and ed the sock are maybe the funniest things on tv.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »

The Creep and the Host, plus the story about Zacherley = very cool. Very much what I was hoping people would share. I am surprised that as far as I know no small town local Canadian TV channel has had similar such Horror hosts or am I just out of touch here? Hmm I really think my local TV network could benefit from such a personality.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Paquita

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »

We get Son of Svengoolie!  I've heard my uncle writes him letters and they get read on TV, but I've never caught a show where that happened.  My uncle sent in a picture of me and my husband when we dressed as Elvira and Svengoolie for Halloween which was supposed to have been plastered on the TV, but I didn't get to see that either.

I've never seen Blood E Murder though.
major jay

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

I'm from the Pittsburgh area. Back in the day we had Chilly Billy Cardilly.
http://chillertheatermemories.com/
Now we have Professor Emcee Square of the It's Alive Show. I love this show! It's Three Stooges style comedy, rock n roll and of course the movies. Sadly they haven't had a new show in over a year. Bluesad
 http://www.theitsaliveshow.com/

Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:48:08 AM »

Oh, yeah!
Thanks to youtube, I can see some stuff I've only read about.
Lets see...STELLA, Dr. MADBLOOD, SVENGOOLIE (Both Jerry G. and Rich Koz) COUNT GORE DEVOL,...yeah, lots of stuff.

Anyone else seen the documentery AMERICAN SCARY? Thats a fun show. I really wish they could do a four hour version with folks they diden't get to in the first take.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
316zombie
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »

my husband reminded me of another one from when we first moved to wichita,we could still get kansas city channels on uhf.
her name was crematia,she was an elvira wannabe,but a VERY funny lady!!! and she showed alot of rather obscure movies,i still have a few on vhs,lol!
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »

very cool,umaril! do you still have them?

Hi 316zombie, I've been away a few days and didn't get to reply, but yeah, I still have my pics of Zacherley, framed in a UV-resistant glass with spacers to keep the pictures away from the frames. I wouldn't give em' up for anything!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hoorah For Horror Hosts!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.