Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:46 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ...  (Read 16328 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: November 14, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »

Official report ... lot of charts and graphs. List every war from the Revolution to present. Enjoy history-statistical-chart-n-graphs-junkies.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32492.pdf

The Congressional Research Service, which compiled war casualty statistics from the Revolutionary War to present day conflicts, reported that 4,699 members of the U.S. military died in 1981 and '82 — a period when the U.S. had only limited troop deployments to conflicts in the Mideast. That number of deaths is nearly 900 more than the 3,800 deaths during 2005 and '06, when the U.S. was fully committed to large-scale military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

MORE ...

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:24:06 PM »

Gee...ONLY 3,800 died .....that's reassuring...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »

I heard a news item tonight that stated in 2006 more veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed suicide on average than common folk...
Here's a related news link:
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=38414&sid=60
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:46:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »

Gee...ONLY 3,800 died .....that's reassuring...

And last year over 32,699  young people (ages 15-24) died in the US to murder, wrecks, suicide, accidents etc ... looks like it's safer in the military.

148,904 in the ages 25-44

I heard a news item tonight that stated in 2006 more veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed suicide on average than common folk... the number was over 100...  a week !!!

The report was of ALL veterans not just Iraq and Afghanistan. Still to many regardless.

According to the report, VHA mental health officials estimated 1,000 suicides per year among veterans receiving care within VHA and as many as 5,000 per year among all living veterans.

http://www.nbc11.com/health/13296699/detail.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:48:53 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:25:36 PM »

Safer in the military?! Whoa! Wait a minute!  Your talking about  a WHOLE country!  I am talking about Iraq and in Afaghanistan. Not a good arguement. When young people  die because of greed politics-I gotta problem. We put Saddam where he was-for politics. We put Noreaga where he was-for politics. We have sided with the most scumbag   dictators in the world-for politics.  Our "leaders" have been a bunch of  power hungary  ego maniacs for a loooong time. I don't care Left or Right- the all have a personal agenda- and human lives are their pawns. The Catholic Church-in the name of God had the Crusades and the Inquestion-my country right or wrong? BULLSH!T!

I seriously don't think God gives a flying f#ck about our petty politics-the Ten Commandments doesn't say "Thou shall not kill-EXCEPT-"

The bottom line is- DEAD IS DEAD. MURDER IS MURDER. If we can kill for our beliefs-so can every one else. 

Death is justified-if enough people believe it is right.

Or so it seems.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:50:15 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »

According to the report, VHA mental health officials estimated 1,000 suicides per year among veterans receiving care within VHA and as many as 5,000 per year among all living veterans.
And so many of today's veterans, and of past wars, are denied medical benefits (that's not a new news item) because our government is spending so much money (over a trillion dollars so far) on these wars, so let's pinch pennies where the little turds don't matter... all these young men and women, all "poor" and "ignorant" denied the opportunity of education or advancement because of economic circumstances enter the military hoping for a chance in life, are dying, or losing legs, arms, and faces... (I've seen that).  It breaks my heart, for one.  You think the sons of the rich are signing up for tours of duty? 
Why are so many veterans, a relatively small number of people compared to the general populace, committing suicide?  What are they privy to or witnessing that compels them to do such a thing after surviving the horrors of war? 

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

RC - Far as number for numbers go, more young people (18-30) die everyday in this country as a percentage than in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't think any one want anyone to die (barring the Jihadist) but compared the all the previous military conflicts the military is pretty safe place to be. Which is the point of my original post that more military personal died per year in peace time than in the current armed conflict.
Where were the protester in peace time calling for the end to the needless military deaths do to accidents? And out of those killed today still many are accidental. A helicopter can have a equipment failure and crash as easily stateside as overseas and those are accidental deaths.
I hope no one is killed in the military, but that is not realistic. It'd be great if side could talk and work things out, but that's not realistic either. I'm not going to defend if we should be in Iraq or not, it's totally moot. The fact are we are there and we started it and we need to finish it with nothing less that what could be called victory. When I was in the military I didn't agree with every order I was given, but I carried it out as it was my job I signed up for, but that's me and I can't project my values on others.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:17:38 PM »

I hope no one is killed in the military, but that is not realistic. It'd be great if side could talk and work things out, but that's not realistic either. I'm not going to defend if we should be in Iraq or not, it's totally moot. The fact are we are there and we started it and we need to finish it with nothing less that what could be called victory. When I was in the military I didn't agree with every order I was given, but I carried it out as it was my job I signed up for, but that's me and I can't project my values on others.
I don't agree with everything you have to say, but that last part is well stated.   Everyone should do the job they "signed up for..."  Thumbup

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 10:19:34 PM »

I see your point. But if we  all  do what the powers that be tell us to...we will end up like Nazi Germany. We MUST question the war.  When our sons and daughters  are dying...we MUST try and save them. THATS patriotism. NOT blindly following orders. I love my country. But to watch them die for oil interests? It's madness. It's materialistic. It's greedy. And it's sad. And it's WRONG. Bottom line.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:14:04 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »

And so many of today's veterans, and of past wars, are denied medical benefits (that's not a new news item) because our government is spending so much money (over a trillion dollars so far) on these wars, so let's pinch pennies where the little turds don't matter... all these young men and women, all "poor" and "ignorant" denied the opportunity of education or advancement because of economic circumstances enter the military hoping for a chance in life, are dying, or losing legs, arms, and faces... (I've seen that).  It breaks my heart, for one.  You think the sons of the rich are signing up for tours of duty? 
Why are so many veterans, a relatively small number of people compared to the general populace, committing suicide?  What are they privy to or witnessing that compels them to do such a thing after surviving the horrors of war? 

We spend far more on entitlements than the military. the number of a Trillion is not money spent of you read the report that reported those numbers you'd know that. It is a lot of guess and projection work in that number. The Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz came up with these numbers, but then again Al gore won a Nobel Prize too ... so I have my doubts about the numbers as they reflect direct and indirect expenditures based on this guys ideas.

You think the sons of the rich are signing up for tours of duty? 

Define rich? Is it upper middle class? Yes. Is it low income? Yes. Is it farm boys? Yes. It's not exclusive it's an all inclusive, all walks of life are joining.

About a year ago I had a good friend and fellow veteran commit suicide, was it because of some lingering military illness or VHA neglect? Nope. Hurt his back years after he wa out and couldn't handle the pain anymore ... so out of all those suicide how many are directly related to VA treatment and how many would have happened anyway? Point is you can't lump everything together with out knowing the back story of the issues leading to the event. It's catch phrase and shock news, not facts. 

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »

I see your point. But if we are all told to do what the powers that be tell us to...we will end up like Nazi Germany. We MUST question the war.  When our sons and daughters  are dying...we MUST try and save them. THATS patriotism. NOT blindly following orders. I love my country. But to watch them die for oil interests? It's madness. It's materialistic. It's greedy. And it's sad. And it's WRONG. Bottom line.

If it's oil greed why is oil $93 a barrel and $3.00 a gallon? Seems to me of it was oil greed we'd all be paying $0.50 a gallon, but we're not.

With that ... sad facts are oil runs this country. Without it you don't get to work, unless you walk or ride a bike, or heat you home, or turn on a light ... we all oil hungry and yes we need to get off it, but in the mean time we have to use it. Many, many wars throughout history have been fought over natural resources this is nothing new and until we as a planet come up with a renewable power source like hydrogen, there will be more wars over it.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »

I see your point. But if we are all told to do what the powers that be tell us to...we will end up like Nazi Germany. We MUST question the war.  When our sons and daughters  are dying...we MUST try and save them. THATS patriotism. NOT blindly following orders. I love my country. But to watch them die for oil interests? It's madness. It's materialistic. It's greedy. And it's sad. And it's WRONG. Bottom line.

If it's oil greed why is oil $93 a barrel and $3.00 a gallon? Seems to me of it was oil greed we'd all be paying $0.50 a gallon, but we're not.

Golly...maybe somebody's pocketing the profits? You think maybe? But of course, we would be told about that...in numbers and statistics-given to us by the companys that pay for our "leaders." Of course...numbers and papers don't lie...right?

And if it's about finishing  the job...why diddle f#ck around? Use WW II tacticts- kill 'em and leave.

Because WE WANT . And have always. To be the Keeper of the Oil.  Because, as you said, oil makes the world go round.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:51:43 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 10:51:12 PM »

We spend far more on entitlements than the military. the number of a Trillion is not money spent of you read the report that reported those numbers you'd know that. It is a lot of guess and projection work in that number. The Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz came up with these numbers, but then again Al gore won a Nobel Prize too ... so I have my doubts about the numbers as they reflect direct and indirect expenditures based on this guys ideas.
Halliburton for one would agree with such BULLSH!T.  You are suggesting the wars have NOT cost BILLIONS OF DOLLARS???  How are social programs relevant with the exorbitant spending on these dubious wars?  "Guess" and "projection work."  Don't be naive.  You know better. 

Define rich? Is it upper middle class? Yes. Is it low income? Yes. Is it farm boys? Yes. It's not exclusive it's an all inclusive, all walks of life are joining.
More BULLSH!T.  That's not true and YOU know it.  What rich man's son would join the g*ddamned military if he could go to college and smoke dope, for starters? 

About a year ago I had a good friend and fellow veteran commit suicide, was it because of some lingering military illness or VHA neglect? Nope. Hurt his back years after he wa out and couldn't handle the pain anymore ... so out of all those suicide how many are directly related to VA treatment and how many would have happened anyway? Point is you can't lump everything together with out knowing the back story of the issues leading to the event. It's catch phrase and shock news, not facts. 
The statistics are facts, why do REPUBLICANS have a fondness for skewering facts?  Our President's specialty.  I don't mean to be indifferent to your friend, but that's more anecdotal BULLSH!T.  I do, however, respect LOYALTY.  It is the greatest of human traits.  I am not a DEMOCRAT and despise their pandering, but I equally despise the idiotic skewering of numbers and facts to mislead the public and this poor fool by them REPUBLICANS. 

REPUBLICANS have no answer and would just as soon screw you as me for money.  CHEEZEE, you know better, don't you?  But maybe not. 
Huh?  That's a naive statement.  Gee $3 or $.0.50?  Which generates more profit?  C'mon CHEEZEE, why is it military and paramilitary guys think they know it all, but always go for the conservative REPUBLICAN point of view? 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:32:44 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »

Our "leaders" have been a bunch of  power hungary  ego maniacs for a loooong time. I don't care Left or Right- the all have a personal agenda- and human lives are their pawns.

I have my own thoughts about this war and any other, the military, those that choose to enlist, those that fight the draft, the politiia that decide when to fight a war, etc.  But your above statement made me think of the classic lines:

"Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait till their judgement day comes, yeah!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »

Our "leaders" have been a bunch of  power hungary  ego maniacs for a loooong time. I don't care Left or Right- the all have a personal agenda- and human lives are their pawns.

I have my own thoughts about this war and any other, the military, those that choose to enlist, those that fight the draft, the politiia that decide when to fight a war, etc.  But your above statement made me think of the classic lines:

"Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait till their judgement day comes, yeah!"

Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Less Military deaths during war time than during peace time ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.