Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:08:16 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ghost Story (1981) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ghost Story (1981)  (Read 5399 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 16, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »

I must confess something: I adore Peter Straub's novels. Most of them are uneven, even to the point of having boring spots, but they have a kind of horror that makes them special. Straub is a master when it comes to blend supernatural with our everyday fears, very much like his fellow Stephen King, but he's also a very different writer, with higher literary ambitions and fewer commercial constraints.

Anyway, I saw this film as a kid, long before I learned of Straub, and it's been quite interesting to watch it today under a different light.

"Ghost Story" is an adaptation of one of Straub's first works. It was filmed by veteran John Irvin, and starred no less than Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. as two members of a gentlemen's club who share a dark secret. A secret, that this being a supernatural horror film, will return to haunt them and kill them in rather unpleasant ways.

First things first, I just learned the movie has a terrible reputation, and I'll be ready to admit it has its share of problems. To start with the cast, they all deliver competent performances, but it is quite clear that the film undersuses its terrific cast. The second problem is the gore. There are gorier films out there, but for a film that tries to be more sophisticated than your usual horror film, the occasional gory shots look completely out of place, and the way Irvin handles them doesn't help matters.

But despite this the film is a rather competent adaptation of the novel. It does sacrifice its precise portrait of the village, but it handles well the central story, which involves two different timelines, and there are no dull spots. Even Irvin, one of those directors that will direct anything you can imagine, from thrillers to a Victorian dramas, proves here and there that he wasn't that wrong a choice to direct the film. There are a few passages that reminded me of Straub's writing, like one uneasy scene where one of the elders visits a derelict building and is taunted by a couple of squatters, who hint they know more about him than they possibly should.

And there's also a young Alice Krige, who creates a remarkable character. If you've seen her elsewhere you already know she has a very peculiar beauty, and here she exploits that to maximum effect in a very ambivalent role. You'll want to kiss her and then run away. And fast.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:18:32 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »

Wow. Odd that you posted this. I've never seen the movie...but am right in the middle of the book-(which is Bizzare with a capital B !!!) I picked it up at a yard sale a couple months back,and started reading it a few days ago...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »

Caught this one last year on cable.  Never read the book but I loved the film.  Fantastic cast and very haunting little film.  I could have done without Craig Wasson's man parts flapping around though.

Also, the ending is a bit obtuse.  I don't want to say much here for those that haven't seen it but I'm still a bit confused about it.

Overall though, a great film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »

I agree with Neville: Peter Straub his an interesting, shall I say infection, horror writing style.  Ghost Story was the first horror book I read ever read that made it hard for me to sleep at night.  Shadowland was a heck of an interesting concept for a story, and duly creepy.  Julia, his first, was creepy as well.  I'm reusing that 'c' word on purpose - Straub has that knack.

Skaboi, if you enjoyed the movie, I think you really would like the book.  As far as book-to-movie adaptations go, it is one of the best I've ever seen.

RC, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the book when you finish it.

I've heard a lot of folks pan this movie.  That's a head scratcher to me.  I think it hits on all cylinders for a horror movie.  My read is that it is more 'classic' horror rather than the 'shock horror' which many modern movie-goers are used to, and thus it is found boring by those expecting more shock in their horror.  Hey, you either allow yourself to be immersed in the story or you don't.  It's not really a sit back and be mindlessly entertained kind of horror film.

Good review, Neville.  Thanks for the reminder - I'll have to dig this one out since I have not watched it in years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »

There was an interview with Straub on the radio in my area a couple of years ago and the hosts were almost literally gushing about Ghost Story...the movie and the book.  So, I decided I'd read the book before renting (or buying if the book was awesome) the movie.  I'm glad I didn't.  I have a cardinal rule when starting a book or movie.  I will always finish the movie or book no matter how bad it is.  Sometimes, the last chapter or 15 minutes of a book or movie will make what preceded it worthwhile.

I haven't seen the movie based on the book because I hated (I mean hated) the book.  It was boring for long stretches and when something sort of interesting happened it made little or no sense and it was over before it began.  In fact, I tell people not to read Ghost Story if Straub comes up in conversation.

Now, I liked The Talisman so I figured that I'd probably like Straub's solo work.  I don't think I'll be reading any else by him...Once was enough.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »

I read this book in high school and it scared the bejabbers out of me . . . it's a little dated now but still has some downright chilling moments.  Remniscent of Stephen King's THE LIBRARY POLICE.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Neville

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 05:29:26 AM »

Oldskool138, you really should give Straub another chance. I admit his earlier books have boring spots and that is often difficult to tell what exactly is going on, but they're still a hell of a read if you have the patience.

But if you pick some of his latest stuff, like Mistery or The throat, that's another story, they're far more accesible, and excellent books too.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 07:30:40 AM »

Oldskool138, you really should give Straub another chance. I admit his earlier books have boring spots and that is often difficult to tell what exactly is going on, but they're still a hell of a read if you have the patience.

I don't know.  I mean, I couldn't really figure out what was going on in Ghost Story and when they finally revealed what was going on through the whole book, I though "Wow, that's kinda lame".

SPOILERS

The best thing Pete could come up with tie the book together was a shape-shifter...It wasn't even a real ghost.  That "big reveal" didn't justify the time I spent slogging through the rest of the book.

SPOILERS END

Maybe one day I'll pick up another Straub book but it won't be any time soon.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »

Great book, bad movie, and the review at the top up there is brilliant.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ghost Story (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.