Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:57:27 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Mother of French Boy Takes on Dubai Government « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mother of French Boy Takes on Dubai Government  (Read 8115 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 18, 2007, 11:47:42 AM »

Never get between a mother she bear and her cub. She'll eat ya alive.

http://www.boycottdubai.com/

The website was posted to the Net by the mother of a 15-year old French-Swiss national, who while living in Dubai with his father, accepted a ride home,  from a teenage acquaintance, one summer evening in July.

But, Instead of being driven home, the boy was driven out into the desert near Dubai, where, at knifepoint, he was anally raped by the said acquaintance.

Whart is more. Not only was he sexually assaulted by the said acquaintance, he was brutally sodomized by two other men, who were also in the SUV that evening. Older cousins of the said acquaintance, and like the said acquaintance, Dubai natives.

But, that is not why the mother posted the website. She posted it, because of the way, she, her son, and the rest of the family were treated by government authorities.

Who . . . denied at least three times, that one of the attackers was HIV+, even though they had known for over four years, that he was HIV+.

Who . . . through the police forensics doctor, who first examined the boy, while failing to do a proper exam, no blood work done, did accuse the boy of being an homosexual, questioned whether the boy had been raped, as no rape trauma was found, and even insinuated, that the sex was consensual, between the boy and his attackers, till it had gotten out of hand.

Who . . . even after three different types of semen were found in the boy, thus verifying in some small part, the boy's story, were reluctant to file charges against the boy's attackers, and even pressured the boy's family not to bring charges against the attackers.

It was only after the French government got involved, on the side of the boy's family, and brought pressure to bear on the Dubai government, were charges filed against the boy's attackers.

And . . . even then, they the temerity to threaten to charge the boy with engaging in homosexual acts. This, in a land, where even homosexual acts, between consenting adults, are illegal and punishable  by up to an year in jail.

Thus, forcing the boy to leave his father and Dubai and go live with his mother in Switzerland.

Thus, his mother hopes that this website will help bring enough pressure to bear on the government authorities of Dubai, that'll be dragged from the 19th century into the 21st century, in the waty that they treat rape victims, both male and female.

But, besides this, this case bring up a number of issues.

First, anyone who has children at home, is rightfully concerned about their daughters being raped. But, if anything, this case teaches us, to be concerned--also--about our sons being raped. For boys are just as vulnerable to being raped as girls.

Indeed, the wisest thing that anyone has ever said about the subject of rape, and this is paraphrasing Ellen Benedict, who has written several books about the subject is . . . "None of us are immune to being raped. Neither our age, nor our sex, nor our sexual orientation, makes us immune to rape."

Second, has anyone seen a photos of the boy? As he has given--at least--one interview about what happened, there are photos and videos of him, floating out there on the Web. Not full photos, but . . . what you can see of him, he is a handsome young man.

But . . . what is extraordinary about him, except for his looks, was how ordinary he was. Before this, he was just the typical teenager, who liked to spend an afternoon, at the mall, playing video games.

Ordinary . . . except . . . in one regard. And that is in his courage. Sometimes the most extraordinary courage can come from the most ordinary person. When I was his age, I doubt that I would have had the courage to go through, what he has. Even today, I doubt I would have the courage to go through, what he has.

And third, we Americans like to complain about our country, but we should actually be thankful, that we live, where we do. If you compare the way the case is being handled in Dubai, to the way, that it would be handled here, we clearly have a justice system, a legal system, and a free press, that is clearly superior, not only to those in Dubai, but to those in much of the rest of the world, as well.

And, if you want to help, you can go to the website, read about the case, and leave your comments about the case at the website. Which is what I did.

And if you want to read, what I said, then go to the website, click on "Our Members." Then click on "Last." Go back 3 or 4 previous pages. My comments can be found at "Elmer55yearsLibrarian."

Go Alexandre!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:47:06 AM »

He has been mad before, but he has seldom been as mad as this. See the steam coming out of his ears. And what has made him so mad, now that the defense has wrapped up its case in this incident. It's the defense arguments. And what were the defense arguments. They were . . .

First, the three men did not have sex with the boy. Of course, not. Not even when semen from the three men were found in the boy.

Second, if the three men did have sex with the boy, it was not rape, because . . .
a. Since no bruising from being beaten by a cuestick was found on the boy, he was not raped. Of course, not. The boy never said he was beaten by a cuestick. He said he was threatened with a beating by a cuestick.

b. Since no cuestick and hunting knife was found, the boy was not raped. Of course, not. They were probably disposed of by the men.

c. Since the boy had sex with a man who was HIV+, and was himself still HIV-, the boy was not raped. Of course, not. Not everyone who has sex with someone who is HIV+, themselves becomes HIV+. And when they do, sometimes it takes up to 180 days to prove it. And that won't happen until January 10.

d. And this one makes me want to vomit. Because the boy was a sex addict and willingly let men sodomize him, he could not be raped. Of course, not. I won't even dignify that one with any type of reply.

Third, if the boy was raped, it was justified, because . . .
a. Since the two boys got into the vehicle willingly, they deserved everything they got: the rape of the one boy, the assault on the other boy, and both boys kidnapping.

b. Since the boy had an "intimate friendship" with the middle defendant (i.e, they were homosexual lovers and previously engaged in sexual intercourse) the defendant was justified in raping the boy.

c. And since the boy acted "provocatively" in front of the defendants, the other two defendants were also justified in raping the boy, as well.

Why don't I just shoot myself now, so I don't have to put up with such stupidity?

Okay! Okay! He has calmed down. No wonder America is the land of the superhero.  Even the boy enjoys wearing t-shirst with the Superman logo on the front. We believe in justice, but we know that sometimes superheroic efforts are needed to obtain it.

I know there has been some debate on this board, whether the civil courts are right for a criminal matter, but in this case, it would seem to be a right. If only to get recompense for counseling from the defendants for those poor, traumatized boys, who will need counseling for some time, if not their entire lives.

And this is more controversial, as American wants to maintain its sovereignity over its citizens, but if one can not get justice in one's own land, especially if justice is incompetent, there seems to be a need for someplace you can get it on the international level. And here it was not only incompetent, it was deliberately so. They weren't interested in whether the boy was raped or not, they were only interested in, and they were stacking the deck, whether the boy had engaged in a homosexual act, which is punishable by up to an year in jail. So they could charge the boy, convict him, and then deport him. End of story. Of course, it was not the end of the story.

Go Veronique!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »

It's impossible not to agree with you on this one, because the case is so messed up and the Dubai government's handling of it is so screwed up.  I look at a lot of the countries over there and am glad that I am here in the US.  We have lots of problems, but we do try.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »

Yes, this is why we in the west should all convert to Islam and adopt the Sharia law, it makes so much sense.

raj

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »

And don't forget the Saudi Arabian girl who was gang-raped and then ordered to get 200 lashes for being out with a man not her husband or male relative.  It would be nice if we didn't have to buy oil from these folk.  Diversity and multiculturalism is ok, but whipping a rape victim?  Hatred
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 05:30:56 PM »

It's impossible not to agree with you on this one, because the case is so messed up and the Dubai government's handling of it is so screwed up.  I look at a lot of the countries over there and am glad that I am here in the US.  We have lots of problems, but we do try.

Yes, especially if you have a son. What I am getting off the internet, Dubai is actually one of the worst places to go, in the Mideast, if you are a male. Why we haven't heard more about it, is because the government was so good about covering all this up. They couldn't cover this one up, because the boy was an European, and his parents were influential and  had contacts high up the French government.

Now, for the good news from Dubai.

Two of the defendants, Abu Bakr, 35, who is the HIV+ one (I have also heard him called Abubakhar Khan, Abubakhar Khur, and Abubahkar Khamis) and his cousin Ibrahm (no last name) 18 were found guilty on all accounts and sentenced to a prision sentence, not to exceed 15 years.

The spokesman for the government, one Habib al Mulla, said this sentence is "in accordance with international standards." I don't know about "international standards," but as the defendants could have been acquitted on all accounts, or received a sentence as little as 2 years, and as much as life, this sentence probably falls somewhere in the middle.

Neither defendant nor their accuser was in court, when sentence was passed.

Now both defendants and their accuser have 15 days to appeal the sentence. No word as to what the defendants will do, but at least their accuser, or at least, his mother have plans to appeal the older defendant's sentence as being too light. She wants him to spend the rest of his days in jail.

She is also suing the defendants  for damages in the civil courts of Dubai. (That must be the civil part pf the case.)

And she is suing the president of the United Arab Emirates, the prime minister and vice president of Dubai, the police chief in Dubai, and other government officials for damages in the international courts in Paris and Geneva. (That must be the international part of the case.)

But, she said she is willing to drop her suit against the government officials, if the government sets up rape crisis centres, recognizes the status of rape victims, and takes precauctions after rape against sexually transmitted diseases.

"We are considering it," al Mulla said. "We believe its good. Its good for the victims, and it's good for the whole system."

And what is a consideration may actually be a done deal. As I have heard that the government has agreed to set up the first rape crisis centres in Dubai.

As for the youngest defendant, his trial resumes December 25 in juvenile court. Now, that is either the punishment phase of the trial, or I heard wrong, because I had heard that he had pled guilty to all the charges.

As for the government official, I think he took elocution lessons from our American politicains. Because he speaks what I call "weasel words," They sound good, but they are actually meaningless. For example: "The system is working properly. However, if there is any room for any improvement in the system, we'll definitely look into it, consider it, and if there's any room for improvement, we'll implement it."

And as for the mother, she is an inspiration to us all. As she is proof that one individual, despite almost insurmountable odds, can take on the establishment and prevail.

She ought to be "Mother of the Year." Not only has she obtained some "sense of justice" for her som, if the rape crisis centres are set up in Dubai, she has obtained some "sense of justice" for the sons and daughter of other mothers.

Maybe she actually ought to be one of the "Women of the Year." And maybe Laura Bush ought to take some lessons from her. Mrs. Bush has been tyring to get the government of Mynamar to initiate some much needed democratic reforms in the country, but even backed by the power of the U.S. government, so far, she has been singularly unsuccessful. On the other hand, this woman, almost singlehandedly, with some support of the French government, has gotten the Dubai government to initate some much needed rape crisis centres in Dubai.

The only problem is now what. Does she declare victory and head home, or does she soldier on?

The moral of this story: "Men never underestimate your women." See what happened, when first the men, then the government of Dubai, underestimated this woman.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »

And don't forget the Saudi Arabian girl who was gang-raped and then ordered to get 200 lashes for being out with a man not her husband or male relative.  It would be nice if we didn't have to buy oil from these folk.  Diversity and multiculturalism is ok, but whipping a rape victim?  Hatred

Thank-you, Raj. I did not meant to slight that side of the story. And while male rape is far more underreported than female rape, we must remember that females are far more sujbect to rape than males.

It is just under the principle of "man bites dog." The male companion with the woman was also gang raped by the same men who raped her, but how much do we hear about him.

It is just that some day, I'd like to see all rape cases treated the same. No matter what the age, race, sex, sexual orientation. The good news is that I think we are getting there, and I think we owe alot of that to women, who said: "You can talk about it, if you are raped. It is not your fault. You need not be ashamed."

As for the woman, she has been pardoned by the king. That is the good news. The bad news is not because he thought the punishment was unjust, but because of all the bad publicity the case was bringing. That is so wrong. But how do you change attitudes without making a situation worst?

As for the case in Dubai, I see that they are as good at rehabilitating prisoners, as we are in the U.S. The oldest defendant has eleven prior convictions for such things as assault with violence, drug dealing, rape, and robbery, and has spent over half his life behind bars. How much do you want to bet that he was raped as a boy? And if someone had been smart enough to deal with it then, instead of ignoring and/or trying to cover it all, none of this would have happened.

No good news for Ms. Holloway's parents. At least the parents of the boys have their sons alive, if traumatized. Holloway's parents have a daughter who is dead, or presumed dead, who they can't bury, because they have no body. And unlike the other case, where two of the three men have already been convicted, and the third is on trial, the three men in this case are walking around free.

We, for the most part, have gotten away from the "double standard." One standard for males and one standard for females. But it is still out there.  The boys have been taken to task for getting into a vehicle with three men they did not know or barely knew. I have never heard that Ms. Holloway was taken to task for getting into a vehicle with three men, she did not know or barely knew.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Just to update my first post on this subject.

http://www.boycottdubai.com

She's won.

Or, at least, she has declared herself the winner. Closing down her website and withdrawing the civil suits she filed in the courts of Dubai, Geneva, and Paris. (Hopefully, under the understanding, that, if necessary, the suits can be resubmitted without prejudice.) Now that the Dubai government has agreed to her conditions of "favourably considering the establishment of a rape victim care programme" and "implementing a five-year plan of action with awareness campaigns in order to fight the HIV virus."

Being the cynic that I am, I'll wait till I see the proof in the pudding, but after all the lies, stonewalling, threats, bribes offered, and bribes rejected, that she and her family faced, once again, she is an inspiration to us all. As she is proof that one individual, against almost insurmountable odds, can take on the establishment and win.

And a reminder not to p**s off a woman or women. As there is a case closer to home. As one can see what happened when the women of New Hampshire got p**sed off by the way the mostly male press, pollsters, politicans, and electorate of New Hampshire were treating Hillary Clinton. They turned out in almost unprecedented numbers to support one of their own, and giving Hillary a victory, few expected her to get.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »

An update to the previous posts. Six months later, the boy is still undergoing psychological counseling for the trauma, but, while he may have any number of other things to worry about, he need not worry about catching AIDS from one his attackers, who was HIV+. His final test, to see if he was HIV+, came back this month, and he is not HIV+.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »

A further update to the case.

When the two oldest defendants were convicted of all charges and sentenced to 15 years each in prision, their lawyer appealed their convictions to the appeals court in Dubai. The prosecutor also appealed the sentence handed down by the original judge in the case, saying it was too short and asked for a life sentence for both defendants.

The appeals court ruled on both motions this month, siding with the original judge both times. The convictions would stand, as would the sentence of 15 years each.

The defendants' lawyer has one more court to appeal the sentences to, and that is the Supreme Court in Dubai. Hopefully, he'll come up with a better reason the convictions should be overturned. Apparently, his only argument before the appeals court was, that since the boy had not contracted hepatitis or AIDS, the boy had not been raped by his clients.

Another piece of news came out of the appeal process. Apparently, the three defendants, each taking their turn, sodomized the boy for over an hour. It may only seem like a hour, but the trauma will last for a life time.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »

Another chapter in this continuing story.

The highest court in Dubai has ruled on the appeal made by the two men who were convicted and sentenced for raping that French-Swiss boy last year in Dubai. Their appeal was denied. Both their conviction and their sentences of 15 years for each of them will stand.

There will be no more appeals. That was their last chance to get their convictions and/or sentences overturned.

As for the youngest defendant, who apparently plead guilty in juvenile court, he was sentenced to three years in prison.

The more you hear about the case, the more you think their sentences imposed on the defendants were too light. Not only did the three of them take turns sodomizing the boy for over an hour, but one of them, and I am not sure which one, forced the boy to perform oral sex on him.

The rape may have lasted only an hour, but the trauma will last a lifetime.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Mother of French Boy Takes on Dubai Government « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.