Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:58 PM
714242 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Scifilm.org Dies and Is Reborn...Sort Of « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scifilm.org Dies and Is Reborn...Sort Of  (Read 5088 times)
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »

Well, friends, it is official now.  The old Scifilm.org is gone...

Yet, like the phoenix rising from the ashes, it is reborn today...sort of...

For the past several months I've have been working with the various contributors to the site to archive and take away their content for their own purposes, and hopefully some of it will reappear elsewhere on the web in another form.

One major contributor has been Dave Sindelar, whose "Movie of the Day" column became the largest section of the site, featuring over 1700 movies reviews before I stopped updating.  Dave has continued to labor away and now has published close to 2300 movie reviews (one a day here).  Ever since I announced my retirement, I have been working with him to create a new permanent home for them on the Internet.  I'm thrilled to assist him in this, because I have been one of his biggest fans for many years now, since 2001 when he wrote and posted up his first article.

So it is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of Dave Sindelar's Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings, located at the same domain as the old scifilm.org.

I will continue to assist in a technical advisory capacity, but the new site is all Dave's, demonstrating his wit, creativity and insightful ability as a reviewer.  If you have never read any of Dave's articles before, now is a great time to start.

And to tag along on this message...I have decided to continue to operate the Herman Cohen tribute site located at www.hermancohen.com, and may even find time to update it once in a while now.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »

Truly the end of an era.  Bluesad But hey, I'm glad Dave's still plugging away and has found a new home. I still read his reviews whenever I get a chance even though I no longer bother to sign in to the Classic Horror Film Board. Dave's reviews is the only thing there I bother to wade through....too many divergent boards for my taste and people way more knowledgable than I. Anyways I think my TV Files will remain dead for the forseeable future. I just don't have the time and energy to devote to a website at the moment or to doing like Dave every day. If they ever do return, it certainly won't be a daily thing.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »

I am sorry to see this.  The site has been hibernating for a few months, but it was still SciFilm.org.  I am glad to see that Dave's work will continue there.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »

At last, Utah is mine!  All mine!!!! MWA-HA-HA-HA-HAHHHHH!!!

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »

Nathan............. BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Gerry, that is good news. I just have to ask: what is that in your avatar? It looks like an evil rabbit wearing a Thulsa Doom hat. I say Thulsa Doom because that is where your quote comes from, I think.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »

Nathan, you're a silly person.

Trevor, it's a screenshot of Thulsa Doom after he transforms into the snake during the orgy scene.

Andrew, it was a good run, and there were many gracious offers (including your own) to keep all the great content together online.  But in the end I felt I would be more proud of my legacy to contribute to a new and living site under Dave's care than a dusty old relic cluttering up someone's server.

Jase, if you ever want to give it another go, you know I'd love to help you build it. :)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »

Hate to see SciFilm go away, but having Dave's archives there is a consolation.  SciFilm has been in my bookmarks for as many years as Badmovies.org. Although I didn't post on the forum there much, I checked the site often for news and new reviews. In fact since Gerry announced the shutdown, I would occasionally find myself going there and then realizing nothing was being updated.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:33 PM »

It will definitely get updated now.   While it has been in testing mode, Dave has been updating the new site every weekend with his latest articles. We rebuilt the new site in such a way that it takes him only a few minutes to make an update.

I've found more great movies (and avoided truly terrible ones) by reading his reviews than from any other single source.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »

My biggest worry about websites is what I would call the "Library of Alexandria Syndrome" - the thought of them ceasing to exist and all the information that was once available is suddenly gone.  At least the Wayback Machine should preserve some of it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »

"Library of Alexandria" - wow...I never thought Scifilm would be compared with that!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »

I looked at Dave Sindelar's site, it's a fraction of what was, but nice to see what can be preserved; for me the Scifilm board was much more.  I do miss that wonderful old board, and I am one with a scarlet letter.   Bluesad

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Scifilm.org Dies and Is Reborn...Sort Of « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.