Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:57:38 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WRONG TURN II - DEAD END « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WRONG TURN II - DEAD END  (Read 9014 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 20, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »

OH, how I love a good Cannibal Mutant Hillbilly film!!!  I'm not sure who invented the genre, but they have added a deep and meaningful archetype to the lexicon of American horror cinema.

WT2 is a classic CMH movie - the mutants in question look like real, actual Chernobyl offspring for the most part, and the string of victims is even more clueless and brainless than usual (although only one is TOPless).  In this case, a new reality show is being filmed in the hill country of West Virginia.  It's an extreme survivor type show that is supposedly testing how the contestants would fare in a post-holocaust world, with radiation, limited food, and prowling dangers.

Henry Rollins chews up the landscape as the show's host, a hardcore retired Marine colonel who does cool things with dynamite. (Exploding CMH's, anyone???)
As for the cast of the reality show who form the CMH menu, we have - the gung ho ex-Marine lesbian, the chauvenist skateboarder, the blond starlet who has to split early in the movie (would someone PLEASE tell Hollywood that it is impossible to longitudinally bisect a human torso with one stroke of an axe????), the shy screenwriter who takes her place in the game at the last minute, the vegan who is into self-mutilation, the soundman who takes a leak at the wrong time and place, the unfaithful cameraman, the slutgirl, and the former football great whose shoulder injury kept him out of the NFL.
The CMH's are a nice nuclear family, with cute little Junior who occasionally shags his sister, and mom and pop who use the machinery at the abandoned mill to make sausage out of unwary travellers.  Then there's Grandad, who is relatively normal in appearance, and likes to fish with dynamite.
  This is just a classic piece of fairly high-budget B-movie cheese, with a couple of scenes that are just over-the-top gory.  Don't expect cinematic greatness, but rent it to be entertained and you will be!

LESSONS LEARNED -
Always determine the species BEFORE you begin chowing down on hillbilly barbecue.
Mutations always make people bigger, meaner, and stronger, while giving them a strange taste for human flesh.
Reality TV is mostly faked.
Henry Rollins is one big bad mother.
Cameramen who cheat on their girlfriends with ambitious starlets meet nasty deaths.
Hitting CMH's with sportscars, baseball bats, and rocks does them no long-term damage.
Apparently, Senator Robert Byrd needs to start a Federal Program to provide low-cost dietary supplements for West Virginia's considerable CMH population!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »

OH, how I love a good Cannibal Mutant Hillbilly film!!!  I'm not sure who invented the genre, but they have added a deep and meaningful archetype to the lexicon of American horror cinema.
I'm pretty sure that would be the original THE HILLS HAVE EYES.

I don't know if I would like this one, because the first WRONG TURN was an awful, bland, straightforward cliche of a film! However, your review makes this sequel sound quite a bit more interesting than it's predecessor, so I'll think about it.

What I do know however, is that any cannibal-mutant-hillbilly film should probably be in bad movies, no matter how good the finished product is Wink

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »

True, but as you well know, there are GOOD Bad Movies and there are BAD Bad movies.  I think I have one of the latter tonight - another CMH piece called "Blood Shed".  I'll post a review after I've watched it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:44:41 AM »

Been wanting to rent the first WRONG TURN, but perhaps I should start with the second film.

Neville

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

I though it was worse than the original. I mean, the original was pretty good... for an action movie. It moved fast, was exciting and well shot, but it falled short on the horror department.

This one does correct this, there are some nice extreme deaths and lots of sick stuff. But then, it doesn't move as fast (the whole reality show stuff is excruciating) and the final third just ows too much to the Texas Chainsaw Masacre series.

But as far as DTV sequels go, this is one of the best I've seen.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

I thought that Wrong Turn 2 was paced pretty poorly, especially compared to the comparatively taut pacing of the 1st film.

The biggest thing that the sequel has going for it is Rollins in full on Rollins mode (?) and the sometime extreme gore/violence that they were able to offer due to the unrated nature of the movie.

The mutant hillbillies in the 2nd film look pretty bad compared to Stan Winston's creations in the 1st film.  Also, Eliza Dushku's body is sorely missing in the 2nd film as well.   Wink

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »

Some Mild Spoilerage!

I saw this movie on the weekend.  It is wrong on so many levels, but I loved it it to bits.

The first scene with the chick getting sliced in half was a good signpost for the tone of the rest of the movie.  And what's with the hillbillies being super strong?  How does THAT happen?

I wonder if there are any people out there in the woods in real life similar to those guys.  You hear about people going missing all the time, maybe some of them were victims of the hillbilly cannibals.

This movie was different from Wrong Turn, which was awesome starring the always wonderful Eliza Dushku.  They really ramped up the gore a notch, but oddly enough, it wasn't gratuitous.

I'm just sorry that Henry Rollins's character had to die.  That guy ROCKS!

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:37 AM »

Sounds like something I might pick up off Ebay if I could find it used for a really good price.  I liked the first one well enough, the pacing was excellent and most of the characters were quite well done.  The exception being Eliza Dushku - that girl simply cannot act.  I've seen her in several other things and it's the exact same paper-thin cool chick character in every one.  She completely lacks the ability to display even the slightest bit of human personality on screen.  She doesn't even look that great in a tight tank top - gimme Cerina Vincent any day  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »

Most disappointing thing about this movie was how they never were able to come even close to the opening kill for the entire rest of the film.  I also disliked EVERY character in the film except for Rollins, who doesn't get to do as much as I'd of liked.

Still, it's definitely waaaaay better than most DTV sequels, and worth a rental.
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »

Sounds like something I might pick up off Ebay if I could find it used for a really good price.  I liked the first one well enough, the pacing was excellent and most of the characters were quite well done.  The exception being Eliza Dushku - that girl simply cannot act.  I've seen her in several other things and it's the exact same paper-thin cool chick character in every one.  She completely lacks the ability to display even the slightest bit of human personality on screen.  She doesn't even look that great in a tight tank top - gimme Cerina Vincent any day  TeddyR

Eliza is usually just put in movies as nothing more than eye candy, but what eye candy she is IMO.

I think that the girl's got some talent when she's got the right kind of role, but she's not the best at picking quality scripts.

Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 03:57:38 AM »

Saw this last week. It was awesome. So much better then the original.

And speaking as a lifelong West Virginian, I assure all of you, this state is crawling with CMHs. I mean, you can't even go to the local Food-Mart without getting hastled. Almost enough to make you move...
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 02:08:10 AM »

It amused me.  I've never heard a fart called a s**tghost before.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Beccy
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

I loved this movie, the first one was awesome too, but this was better... Henry Rollins was pretty cool, but I was rooting for the hillbillies  TeddyR
Torgo

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »

Wasn't as good as the first. I liked the Stan Winston mutant hillbilly a lot better in the original.

dean

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 03:56:31 AM »

The first one was pretty terrible: my girlfriend at the time basically said to me that I would never live that down and used it for the rest of the relationship as an excuse to get out of movies that she didn't want to see.

I mean, it was terrible, but I enjoyed it because it was so silly and the gore effects were actually pretty good.  The laughing hillbilly in the first one just made me giggle and we were the only people in the cinema laughing.

I am therefore skeptical about the sequel: is it 'better' than the first one in terms of becoming more of an actual movie, or is it 'better' because it's sillier and therefore funnier and much more entertaining to watch in that traditional 'bad movie' manner?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  WRONG TURN II - DEAD END « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.