Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:35:59 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Sexy Beast", , just watched it, , what does everyone think. . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Sexy Beast", , just watched it, , what does everyone think. .  (Read 12982 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: November 23, 2007, 12:58:43 PM »

I've been trying to work my way through the Film 4 "50 films to see before you die" list. It has subjected me to some crap (actually, most of the 'crap' I've encountered on the list are movies I had already seen). But, it got me to watch a few movies I've really enjoyed. The Apartment, Ipcress files, North by Northwest, , all decent movies I've seen soley based on their place one that list. Recently I saw "Sexy Beast", and I like it, , ALOT. . Ben Kingsley does a good job of playing ,, well, , wheter you want to label his deranged character. Amanda Redman is SUPER hot, , , makes you kinda think "Maybe crime DOES pay". .

Anyways, I've seen 21 out of the 50. .. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »

Fantastic performances, especially Kingsley. 

Too basic of a script to support those awesome performances.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:00:45 AM »

I love the film, for the performances, the mood, visual style, and the music. I agree the story is a bit flat. On the commentary track, the director says it's very much like an old Greek drama, a man has his perfect life (Gal is compared to a king in his caslte also), little bad things happen warning that trouble is coming, then the evil appears to disturb things. The evil is vanquished and life is restored to peace.

I give credit to the seasoned cast that makes these seedy people so interesting to watch. I enjoy the look on the faces of Gal and his friends when told that Don Logan has called and is coming.

I'd love to see Teddy Bass turn up in another film, even as a supporting character or just a cameo for Ian MacShane.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »

The Brits make some damned brutal movies and for some reason it's funny as hell to me listening to them curse so much.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »

That's how I feel, I laughed a bit when Teddy (I believe) was giving Gal a bunch or crap about the color of the pool tiles, and almost burning himself at the barbacue. Lots of casual humor in it, Like when Kingsley was talking about what Jackie did to him. . pretty funny.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »

Absolutely fantastic film.  I caught it on cable a couple of years back and it's phenomenal.  I like Winstone but the two standouts in this for me were Kingsley and McShane. 

That opening scene with "Peaches" playing and the rock coming down the hill is cinematic beauty.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »

I think I was expecting something else when I went to watch this with my mom, a moderate film buff herself, but never a fan of violence. I'm not sure what we were expecting, but I remember wishing it would be just a little more artsy or just a little more brutal.

Recommended for anyone who likes british toughs. 

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Neville

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »

I though it was an OK film. The perfomances are awesome, but couldn't really get into it. I appreciated the director really trying, though. Some moments here and there are truly surreal, such as the rock falling to the pool or the heist scenes.

My favourite bit: Ben Kingsley coming back to Ray Winstone's villa and complaining he was about to leave without him. Hysterical.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Sexy Beast", , just watched it, , what does everyone think. . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.