Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:43 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GUMMO « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GUMMO  (Read 5352 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »

I watched GUMMO on IFC last night.

I'd seen it before...a really disturbing film...for me anyway,as I know some of these people.
 No, I don't know the actors...but some of the charecters in the film resemble people I knew...dirt poor white trash living on the edge of nowhwere. Theres a lot of 'em here in SW Michigan. Not an easy movie to watch...but interesting and good never the less.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »

I had been thinking of bringing up Gummo for years on this board but didn't.
Where could I begin?

Like RC said, this is a film about white trash people in an Ohio town.
There really is no plot or even a point to this movie.
It just goes from one weird scene to the next showing all the messed up people who live there.

I've shown this to one group of friends who liked it.
Then, years later, I showed it to another group of friends who hated it.
To this day, they always give me a hard time about "that awful movie we watched."

It is a disturbing film.
It features sex with retards, a boy wandering around town in a bunny hat, two kids who ride around on their bikes searching for cats to kill so they can sell the corpses to a local butcher and buy glue to sniff.  And one of those kids had the filthiest bathtub in town.  (the water is s**t brown)

The scene in it I can identify with the most is the one below.
Just a white trash family getting drunk, hanging out in their kitchen and raising hell.
Yes, I have friends who have families exactly like this:

Small | Large

(Not safe for work!)

This is a movie that you will either love or hate.
Either way, you won't soon forget it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:34:41 PM by Ash » Logged
Bonehead-XL
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:52:41 PM »

I too caught this on IFC last night for the first time. (Along with "Bully" which was also very good.) I was curious to see how I would like it. Most people who have seen the film hate it and I didn't care for the director's other movie, "Julien Donkey-Boy." However, I left "Gummo" liking a lot. The film is certainly unlike anything else I've seen. I wasn't really disturbed by it, I even found some of it pretty funny. The film is like how I imagine a schizophrenic person sees the world. Nobody in the movie is even remotely sane.

And, Ash, I feel the same why about that scene, too. Save for the deformed, black midget, a scene like that wouldn't seem strange around my hometown.   
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:31:24 AM »

Ha!!! I was going to post that scene....but for some reason...I went with the cowboy kids. Yeah,that could have been any other family around here,too. Buncha rednecks...getting drunk and trashin'the kitchen furniture.

I know these people...I've DRANK with these people,fer chriss sakes....!!!!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Mortal Envelope
Bad Movie Lover

Manos...it's frightening!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »

I have only seen bits and pieces of this film but a friend of mine said this was supposedly Xenia Ohio (tornado capital of OH), which is a hop skip and jump away from my old college...and the way it's described, it sounds pretty accurate of small town Ohio.  I've been to Xenia a couple times and actually know a couple people who were originally from there (but they don't fit the stereotype; maybe that's why they left).

I really didn't care for the cat-killing scenes myself -probably why I never made it through this one. 
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:33:59 AM »

I had a coworker recommend Gummo to me a few years back.  I went out and rented it and was surprised I hadn't seen it previously.  Very strange, f***ed up flick.  No one in the film is sane and I still wonder to this day if they were all actors or if some of them were actually as they appeared on film.  Not everyone can play crazy that well.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 05:48:41 PM »

The film was nuts, good in a disturbing, icky way, but nuts, although I guess it really expanded everyone's outlook on electrical tape.

As someone said, it's set in a version of a town called Xenia, Ohio that's not all far-fetched (though parts of Xenia are very nice and the town was home to one of my favorite authors, Helen Hooven Santmyer).

Xenia gets hit by tornadoes more than random chance could ever account for, and for that reason I would not live there even for free. On Memorial Day a couple years ago that area got hit by thirteen tornadoes in a single night.

Yeah, that's God telling you to move somewhere else.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »

Fun Fact:

The guy hitting on the black dwarf in one scene is the film's director, Harmony Korine.   Thumbup
Beefcurtanz
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 02:17:48 PM »

I love Gummo, even though I think it made me more stupider. I saw it before the internet was really a thing, I didn't know what to make of it. It feels more like a documentary than a movie. There's no way the dialogue was scripted, seems like all ad-lib. They show the bunny rabbit scene in "Belly" (1998) and I think that gave Gummo some "street cred". A great movie to just throw in a let play in the background for people to wonder wtf they're watching. The tape is kinda pricey.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 01:43:56 PM »

Fun Fact:

The guy hitting on the black dwarf in one scene is the film's director, Harmony Korine.   Thumbup

That scene alone tells what a warped film this is.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GUMMO « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.