Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:49:13 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Return To Oz « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Return To Oz  (Read 7254 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: November 25, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »

Return To Oz was always one of those fims I'd catch in parts and never watch the whole thing.  I checked it out of the library the other day and found it enjoyable. 

SPOILERS

I think a lot of the imagery was quite disturbing and dark in the film.  I'm sure it gave many kids nightmares back when it came out.  The witch with multiple heads was freaky as hell and her wheeled assistants were just as creepy.  However the protaganists are fun to watch.  The whole hospital in the beginning reminded me of A Clockwork Orange.

END SPOILERS

Anyone else like this film?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »

I love this flick.  Very underrated in my opinion.  Used to watch the video all the time as a kid.  I should look for the dvd.

Apparently, it wasn't really all that well received initially, due to the fact that it was PG instead of G, and the fact that it's a darker flick.  Not to mention the fact that Scarecrow has a limited role and the others aren't in it. 

But I think it works well as a flick.  I heard it's somewhat more true to Baum's books.  I've only read one or two as a kid, so I can't really remember.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:49:03 AM »

I really liked this one, too. It combines several of Baum's books, but, yes, it is true to them for the most part. The queen with multiple heads, the Wheelers, Billina, the Gnome King, all were Baum characters. Fairuza Balk was quite good as Dorothy, and the effects were good as well. However, there was no electro-shock treatments in Baum's books.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »

I never got why this film wasn't received so well, even as a kid.  Sure, it was darker, but I guess I was just raised on a lot of darker stuff than most kids at that time. 

The claymation FX date this film a little, but everything from the set design to Fairuza Balk's performance was superb.  It's a great film that reminds us that family entertainment doesn't always have to mean saccharine or talking down to children.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:49:57 AM »

Both my kids and I love this movie. It's dark and twisted enough to appeal to me and fun and fantastic enough to appeal to my kids.  A win win situation.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »

Heh, I still remember this as one of the only movies, ever, to be played on the Disney Channel with a warning for 'scenes too intense for young children' or some such. I'm not surprised it didn't do well in theatres, but enough time has passed now for it to be loved even more for its nostalgia aspects...just like the 1st.  Wink

It definitely belongs on a list of family movies that won't give you diabetes.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »

If anyone has ever read the original Oz novels by Frank L. Baum, this film comes closer to the mood of the novels, which are quite dark, than the "Wizard of Oz" w/ Judy Garland.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:49:58 PM »

I love this flick.  Very underrated in my opinion. 
Not financially successful, it surprises me that this wonderful film still remains relatively obscure.  RETURN TO OZ (1985) impressed me when it first was available on videotape (probably the year it was released or the year after) and I was not a kid.    Not being a kid probably helped, as it is creepy at times.  RETURN TO OZ is definitely one of the best fantasy films of the 1980s. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:41:23 AM »

I love this flick.  Very underrated in my opinion. 
Not financially successful, it surprises me that this wonderful film still remains relatively obscure.  RETURN TO OZ (1985) impressed me when it first was available on videotape (probably the year it was released or the year after) and I was not a kid.    Not being a kid probably helped, as it is creepy at times.  RETURN TO OZ is definitely one of the best fantasy films of the 1980s. 
I had a tape of it that we taped off of The Disney Channel when I was younger.  I was 1 when the movie came out, but we taped it when I was around 6 or 7.  I respect the fact that they tried to scare little kids with a headless witch and guys with wheels for hands. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Return To Oz « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.