Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:00 AM
714355 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  North Korea is a hellish twilight zone of tyranny « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North Korea is a hellish twilight zone of tyranny  (Read 6438 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 26, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »

big surprise right?  I have a friend who is one of these venture capitalist in asia.  He's constantly showing these amazing pictures of the boom in and around China.  Shenzhen, which is next to Hong Kong, was a bunch of mud huts 30 years ago.  Now it looks like New York City.   All this makes North Korea, which was spartan and desolate even at the height of communism that much more distubing. 

As the author, Peter Hitchens (the elder, his younger brother chris is a part time pundit and full time alcoholic) notes, there are alot of people who have no interest in bringing North Korea out of the shadows, most especially Kim Jong il himself.  Those who idealize collectivization and "security" need only look at the stark differnence between north and South Korea to see why our forefathers advised so strongly against it.

If you are very lucky and honored, you may penetrate the Kumsusan Memorial Palace. This was the home of the Great Leader when he was ordinarily alive, kept going in his later years by a special diet of extra-long dog penises
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:48:32 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »

I saw a documentary on N. Korea on PBS a few months back, and what it showed is exactly what this article describes.  It is almost unbelieveable that a country like this really exists.  It's like a bad science fiction movie government (AEON FLUX I'm looking in your direction).
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:51:28 PM »

it says alot about psychology and politics.  All the decisions made by Kim il Song were ostensibly to help his people, or at least justified on those grounds.  Someone in solitary confinement can't get run over by a train I guess.  I think most people would take the risk and just avoid train tracks with trains on them.  it's not hard!

a north korean guy was on a forum i used to go to.  his screen name was north korean which is so appropriate if you think about it.  as if he would use his own creativity to come up with screename.   he was a PHENOMENAL  debater.  I mean he was dead wrong but he could really spin a web of words.  I can't even imagine what his story was
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:41:17 PM »

Hey Lester, I think you found a topic that I am in wholehearted agreement with you on!  What a twisted and evil place!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:04:17 AM »

Indeed.   Amazingly, from what I've read, CHina under Mao was actually far worse.  Mainly because Mao had several IQ points on Kim il Sung and used it for the chinese peoples distinct disadvantage.
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

North Korea and many other countries is the PRIME reason you do not let the government know what's best for you. The more control the population turns over the more they take, until they are just taking with or without the populations consent. When the power is transferred from the people to the person, it's all down hill from there.

On the other hand Kim Jong-il did hit 11 holes in one the very first time he played golf ... wow. Lookingup So he has to be larger then life ... or is it just the Napoleon syndrome, I think the latter.

Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

I think this is the part where we all say "Duh!"

I might add, though, that when you hear of North Koreans fleeing to China just to keep from starving, you just know the situation has got to be hard-rock-bottom bad.
raj

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »

North Korea is fascinating in a train-wreck way.  It's probably the worst place in the world to live, if you speak out against the regime basically your entire family (parents, grandparents and kids) get sent to concentration camps.

Here are a few more links with some pictures -- showing the sanitized NoKo.  Even these photos are depressing, if that is what the N. Koreans think is living the high life.

http://www.1stopkorea.com/index.htm?nk-trip1.htm~mainframe
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82755
http://www.hoover.org/publications/policyreview/3436436.html
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=490

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »

the author claimed he was a tourist.  who the hell would go to north korea for their vacation?   only a maniac
raj

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »

I wouldn't mind going, it would be interesting to see what a nationwide cult looks like.  The only problem is that I couldn't be sure that I wasn't eating dog.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

It would be pretty far down on my list at any rate.  it would be hard to explore what north korea has to offer when

1.  you aren't allowed to explore and
2. it has nothing to offer
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 06:50:45 AM »

Buggedout That is truly scary, Lester: karma for you for that.

That reminds me forcibly of what is going on in my country of birth, Zimbabwe.

The people are so hungry they are s**tting out their own intestines but the leader of that country refuses to believe that anything is wrong in his post-Rhodesia paradise. Hatred

My heart bleeds for my country of birth but there is nothing that I can do about it.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »

trevor- i feel for you bro.  It doesn't get much worse than Mugabe.  He is the biggest racist ever, who else has been worse for black people in Africa? 

honestly, a place like somalia was in chaos for more than a decade which is terrible , but at least they don't have a guy like that running around taking peoples land and doling it out to his relatives and naming streets after himself.  at least one had a chance

predictably, zimbabwe's currency  is, as the bible would say, dross.  then again people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (our dollar is currently "s**t")
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:37:15 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
dean

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 05:10:02 AM »

My girlfriend was planning on going to North Korea on part of her current holiday/trip, but 5 weeks was too short a time frame to go to many European countries, Singapore and LA [to visit relatives].  It wasn't too expensive and was essentially a 5 day tour or something like that.  I'm actually interested, since 1) I'm sometimes a political son of a biatch and 2) It's always more interesting an experience going somewhere completely different to the country you grew up in.

That being said, the country is crazed.   Bluesad

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

I saw a documentary that, in part, featured some Japanese tourists in North Korea. It was quite funny. They went to a war memorial and a NK army officer politely told them that they and their country was evil and they politely listened to it.

I have to agree with raj though it would be a unique holiday ... not sure I could handle it though.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  North Korea is a hellish twilight zone of tyranny « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.